SEC going with 1 permanent?

secking

That’s still on the table, to do 1-7 and play everyone every two years.

Who would be UT’s permanent?

Who do you want as UT’s permanent?

Imagine Alabama permanent would be Auburn. Mississippi schools play each other. UF versus Georgia. OU vs TX Missouri vs Ark, LSU vs A&M. SC vs KY and UT vs Vandy. Just my guesses.

Can see a scenario also where AU wants to keep the oldest rivalry alive and it’s AU vs UGA and Alabama vs Tennessee. Then Florida would throw a hissy. There’s a reason people don’t like change. I wish they would quit messing with CFB.

Imagine Alabama permanent would be Auburn. Mississippi schools play each other. UF versus Georgia. OU vs TX Missouri vs Ark, LSU vs A&M. SC vs KY and UT vs Vandy. Just my guesses.

Can see a scenario also where AU wants to keep the oldest rivalry alive and it’s AU vs UGA and Alabama vs Tennessee. Then Florida would throw a hissy. There’s a reason people don’t like change. I wish they would quit messing with CFB.
IF it is one permanent..............UT and Vandy will be it. It has to be.

I would agree if we only get 1 permanent it would probably be Vandy. You would think the SEC would want to keep the "Instate" rivalries intact.

Edit: I would love the 1-7 format as I want to see us play all teams every two years instead of the east every year and rotate the others.

It’s still on the table because the lower tier programs in the conference keep pushing only eight conference games because they want another guaranteed win in the non-conference. I’d still be shocked if the conference doesn’t go to nine games. It makes too much sense to do so.
Very possible, also very possible it’s a marketing ploy to get more money out of the tv deal. That 9th game is worth $ and Sankey knows it.

I could also see UT vs SC and VU vs UK but that doesn’t make sense. But neither does ending so many great rivalries.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
I would agree if we only get 1 permanent it would probably be Vandy. You would think the SEC would want to keep the "Instate" rivalries intact.

Edit: I would love the 1-7 format as I want to see us play all teams every two years instead of the east every year and rotate the others.
Yeah the one permanent opponent is actually pretty easy:

Alabama-Auburn
Tennessee-Vandy
UGA-Florida
Ole Miss-MS State
OU-Texas
LSU-Texas A&M
Arkansas-Missouri
Kentucky-South Carolina

I wouldn't be surprised if they went with one permanent which on it's face, would look like it got rid of old rivalries like UT-Bama and AUB-UGA, but then the SEC buys itself a year by putting Bama in UT's rotation the first year and UGA in Auburn's. That would make it where the first true year without those games would be 2025, and the SEC would have another whole year to try and shake ESPN down for more money and for public sentiment to grow to force ESPN to pony up to save the rivalries.

Any paradigm that makes the TSIO an every-other-year affair is an abomination. People want to yak about the Iron Bowl and the Cocktail Party and the “oldest rivalry” and all that bs. The TSIO is the rivalry that established and defined the SEC. Period. There is no other SEC rivalry that equals the likes of the Red River Showdown and The Game.

As has been pointed out many times, the 3-6 model would allow us to play every SEC team in a two year period. Given that they’re moving away from divisions, playing every team every two years is a given, and as such is cannot be seen as a benefit to any given system under discussion. It’s simply a fact.

I'd want it to be Bama. But it would almost certainly be Vandy.

I can't see the one permanent thing happening though. Those rivalry games are big money and ratings makers. The conference won't sacrifice that many of them if they can help it.

They would never separate the Iron Bowl. It is traditionally the highest rated game in the conference. UT fans would be dreaming if TSIO would survive in this scenario.

This 1 Permanent Rival thing is idiotic and to see anyone in the SEC contemplate it is a sign of just how much they take the fans of its schools for granted. Rivalries are the lifeblood of superior college sports environments. They motivate fans, they engage onlookers, they're the spectacles of the sport - and they are constant fixtures in the lives of fans. You mark your calendar by them. The very moment they mess with that - the year where fans look up in October and think "huh, no Alabama this year," - is the moment those rivalries begin to fade away.

This isn't surprising, though. A lot of people in charge of college football - especially those who steer it for profit - could not care less about rivalries or traditions, or gameday experiences, or any of that stuff. They only care about what they can package to sell to someone in the future. As long as they have "college football" to sell, who cares if it's a rivalry or has any tradition or logical sense to speak of? How else could you end up with Missouri in the SEC?

But here we are. Held by corporate hands which would gladly wring the SEC - and college football - dry of its traditions before it's all said and done.

Alabama-Auburn
Tennessee-Vandy
UGA-Florida
Ole Miss-MS State
OU-Texas
LSU-Texas A&M
Arkansas-Missouri
Kentucky-South Carolina

Only change I would make to your list:

LSU-Arkansas (they play for a trophy and have history)
Mizzou - Texas A&M (they've been in conference together quite some time, have played each other longer that anyone else in conference)

Alabama-Auburn
Tennessee-Vandy
UGA-Florida
Ole Miss-MS State
OU-Texas
LSU-Texas A&M
Arkansas-Missouri
Kentucky-South Carolina
We would come out smelling like in a rose in that scenario, but I'd still prefer them to go the other direction. I actually would prefer to see more good football, which means preventing SEC teams from loading their schedules with pansies.

Texas would be A&M and Oklahoma probably Missouri or Arkansas

Remember what happened on October 15th last year? "Instant classic." "Best college football game of the season, perhaps the decade." "Amazing." "College football at its finest."

That kind of lightning doesn't strike very often. But when it does, the lightning rod almost always extends atop a foundation of intense rivalry.

Any conference administrator who doesn't want the possibility of that every year is a fool.

Any TV executive who doesn't is incompetent.

Any Bama (or Tennessee) fan who doesn't is craven.

Any player or coach who doesn't is brain dead.

I don't think our players or coaches are brain dead, and I don't think our fans (or Bama's for that matter) are craven.

So the only thing left to wonder about is incompetents and fools.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Its just an opinion but i see these bigger conferences when the dust settles leading to national champions having 1 or 2 losses yearly
Yeah. I also see the 12 team Playoff leading to Champions with multiple losses. But I don’t see it as a bad thing. There have been times when possibly the best team at season’s end is a team that doesn’t get it together until later in the season or a team that has had a few off games or just bad luck.

Reactions: norrislakevol

Alabama-Auburn
Tennessee-Vandy
UGA-Florida
Ole Miss-MS State
OU-Texas
LSU-Texas A&M
Arkansas-Missouri
Kentucky-South Carolina

This makes the most sense. I get that our rival is the perennial dog in the conference but it just makes scheduling for the whole conference easier with going to a 1-7.

Reactions: b_gann

Alabama-Auburn
Tennessee-Vandy
UGA-Florida
Ole Miss-MS State
OU-Texas
LSU-Texas A&M
Arkansas-Missouri
Kentucky-South Carolina
I agree, this makes the most sense. It would be a little bittersweet for TN to get Vandy as a permanent, but if Vandy didn’t get TN as a permanent then what team would make sense as their permanent conference game?

As a GA fan I’m torn between Auburn and FL being a permanent. But I’m favoring FL mainly bc it would be terrible IMO not to have GA vs FL and Bama vs Auburn every year.

Reactions: CedarHillVol

VN Store

Back