Tennessee Vols collectible trading cards

jcvols24

With the NIL era running full speed ahead, when can we expect trading cards focusing solely on UT athletes? I loved collecting cards in my youth and believe we have a passionate enough fanbase to make this idea feasible.

I'd like to think a partnership with a major trading card company to bring a quality product, complete with autographs and other memorabilia inserts, and perhaps even including former Vol greats, could be a profitable endeavor that could benefit players and fans alike. Could even be a great recruiting tool as well.

Just an idea, what does everyone else think? And what inserts would you like to see were it to ever happen?

With the NIL era running full speed ahead, when can we expect trading cards focusing solely on UT athletes? I loved collecting cards in my youth and believe we have a passionate enough fanbase to make this idea feasible.

I'd like to think a partnership with a major trading card company to bring a quality product, complete with autographs and other memorabilia inserts, and perhaps even including former Vol greats, could be a profitable endeavor that could benefit players and fans alike. Could even be a great recruiting tool as well.

Just an idea, what does everyone else think? And what inserts would you like to see were it to ever happen?

This has been done before. But not by any of the major card companies. I think they were done mostly in the 80s and early 90s and were not of very good quality. But they were our boys. Check eBay and you’ll probably find some. Not sure the college-team-fanbase business model is there for the big card companies these days.

Last edited:
I was 12 when the 100 years cards came out in 1990, and I can't begin to describe the excitement every time I'd have a dollar for a new pack, trying to get the whole set. It was awesome for a young fan crazy about the Vols, gave me a deeper knowledge and appreciation for, the storied history. I knew about players from 1908 and fell even more in love with Vol football, not merely for the wins and games, but the history. I didn't just love a uniform, an experience, or player, but my love for all of those things was bolstered by my love for the history and traditions I learned about. It's part of the deep bond a fan can have when you grow up right in the midst of something like Tennessee football. I'd love to see it make a comeback, but not just with current players, the older guys that so many younger fans don't hear much about.

As far as inserts, keep it simple. Donruss used to have only the diamond kings and the elite series inserts back in the day. That was it and that's all they needed. I'd say inserts of autographs from players that are likely headed to the NFL. Make them fairly scarce too.

VN Store

Back