Neyland Entertainment District

It’s an embarrassment what’s happened with the strip. Parking garages and more apartments in lieu of small restaurants and bars for the students to visit or those in town for a TV football game.

I was shocked to see what happened over the past years and then recently over Christmas break. My concern is some students may get into a car and drive to a bar in the Old City, etc since the strip is very limited for night life.
What is embarrassment is the ridiculous bath rooms facilities in the South end of the Stadium. I would rather see that mess cleaned up before we spend any more money anywhere on Campus. It has been a disgrace for 30 over years.

What is embarrassment is the ridiculous bath rooms facilities in the South end of the Stadium. I would rather see that mess cleaned up before we spend any more money anywhere on Campus. It has been a disgrace for 30 over years.

I think that kinda stuff is going on little by little each year...

Oooooh wheeeee, that boring old view of the Smoky Mountains and the river was lame anyway. Hated having to even look at it! Build 'em tall. Nothing gets me more excited than seeing every last piece of character and history of the campus area paved over for more corporate storefronts that will charge me three times as much as other business for the same products.

Agree. Boy, I used to walk down from Reese, hit he last lap or tap room, no.. first Eddies Liquor store to cash a check for $5.10 (Eddie kept the .10) that lasted a whole night of quarter beers, or hit the Maltese Falcon in Shelbourne towers. With all this fancy schmancy strip we got now, hard for a student to have a good time on $5 and still not have to drive.

but alas... heavy sigh.. Simon and Garfunkel sang.. Joe Dimagio, where have you gone? I think change the lyrics to "Cass Walker, where have you gone?"

There are three main bars and the cover, along with hour or two lines, are up to $40. My son is a sophomore so he usually goes to his fraternity “party house.” It appears fraternities can’t have parties at their houses anymore. Ridiculous! I loved the band parties after every home game.

I rather my son not drink, but I am not naive to think he & most other college kids won’t experiment with alcohol. We remind him to never get into a vehicle if he or anyone has been drinking.

Moving bars beyond campus is a mistake and I’m concerned for the future students. Pus, the strip was a fun place to hang out before and after home games. My wife and I used to go to O’Charley’s and watch away games on the patio big screen.

Fans seem to be getting the last leg from the dead chicken. Have Benn watching Tennessee football since 1945 and had season tickets since 1961 and the toilet facilities have not changed in 77 years. Time to made the changes regardless of the name of the AD.
Let’s contract with Buc-ees for restroom upgrades

Quick better let the AD know that generating revenue, creating jobs, and giving the recruits and fans an experience is not worth the loss of staring out at the river
Not what I said. I said the view OF the stadium would be altered, not the view FROM the stadium. It's unique to have a college stadium that sits on a waterfront and to permanently alter that image of Neyland sitting on the bank of the Tennessee river by putting a hotel in front of it seems like a loss. The entertainment district on the other hand sounds great, hope they extend it all the way down to TBA.

Last edited:
Yeah, we lived on Tradition during the down years with all the buffoon coaching but now that we appear to be on the rise it's **** tradition let's be like all the other guys.

What other guys? I'm not aware of any college stadiums with something like this.

And fwiw, I see a lot of comments complaining about changes to Neyland and specifically the interior.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I've seen no mention of anything on the interior.... Just the hotel and table-top.

Maybe you guys are freaked out by the photos of Toronto's hotel? I believe that was just meant to showcase examples of other "P3" partnerships.

Anyhow, what am I missing?

Reactions: StoneColdStunner
What other guys? I'm not aware of any college stadiums with something like this.

And fwiw, I see a lot of comments complaining about changes to Neyland and specifically the interior.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I've seen no mention of anything on the interior.... Just the hotel and table-top.

Maybe you guys are freaked out by the photos of Toronto's hotel? I believe that was just meant to showcase examples of other "P3" partnerships.

Anyhow, what am I missing?
I'm pissed about the strip and all the businesses that were there for decades getting plowed under.

I'm pissed about the strip and all the businesses that were there for decades getting plowed under.
The strip is now a bottle neck to traffic and many of the good old places to eat and enjoy a beverage are now gone. I miss them, but I also realize that the area has been void of hotel and dormitory rooms for some time. Therefore I really can't complain about except for the traffic flow.

Looks like a good idea to me and I hope they do a good job of it. They must be thinking big about the future with possible playoff or even a championship game hosted in Neyland.

Reactions: LouderVol
A quick feasibility checklist:

Enough parking? Will need an analysis. These kinds of businesses generate huge parking demand. Enough space to build enough structured parking? Economic feasibility of structured parking?

Traffic? Will require a traffic study to make sure the generated traffic can be accommodated on existing streets/roads, especially at peak times (I'm dubious about that - there is basically only one road to take traffic to and fro in east-west fashion. No connecting north-south artery present).

Negative impact on bars and restaurants and other entertainment businesses downtown and the strip? Will need to be studied.

I assume all the land that would be occupied by these businesses are on University owned land. Legal precedent for universities leasing land to an entertainment district of bars and other businesses?

Who would police this distirict - City or campus police, or state police? Proper ingress and egress for EMT?

Water and sewer and dry utilities capacities sufficient? Expansion of UT power generation needed?

Ethical question: Universities are supposed to be schools, not mixed use entertainment districts. Those two things have traditionally been separated. Legal, ethical, cultural, and economic equity questions to be studied?

Separate ethical question: President of UT is also the developer of downtown baseball stadium within ENTERTAINMENT DISTRICT. Conflict of interest?

These came to mind off the top of my head. Any others?

VN Store

Back