Your Memphis Grizzlies Basketball Thread III

Yeah, he may have wrecked his career. Silver is appalled. He gives that "oh, so you played me?" Type vibe. He is inwardly livid that Ja appeared so remorseful and then does the exact same thing again not even hardly a month later.

Ja may be done, or at the very least done for the next year.

Yeah, he may have wrecked his career. Silver is appalled. He gives that "oh, so you played me?" Type vibe. He is inwardly livid that Ja appeared so remorseful and then does the exact same thing again not even hardly a month later.

Ja may be done, or at the very least done for the next year.

Next year at absolute most. Half year seems more likely.

JJ and I agree here.

I think the answer to his question is to get Ja’s attention and move his behavior (and image) towards something more positive and less likely to have serious consequences (like someone getting shot). At least that’s what I would hope to be the answer.

But he’s not wrong about the comparisons. And 1/2 a season plus seems more punitive and less corrective, imo. But it might be what it will ultimately take to get his attention.

Reactions: knoxvol52

JJ and I agree here.

In the grand theme of things, no he’s not breaking the law. Nor is anyone advocating jail time.

But it’s obvious he has very poor decision making skills that have to be addressed. It’s not one issue. It’s like 5.

JJ and I agree here.

I don't get why somebody would use legality to determine if it's bad or not.

He humiliated the league and Nike. That's why they care so much. Grizz fans are freaking out simply because it's red flag #10, or whatever. I don't get why a fan like myself would want the book thrown at him (and I don't).

I don't get why somebody would use legality to determine if it's bad or not.

He humiliated the league and Nike. That's why they care so much. Grizz fans are freaking out simply because it's red flag #10, or whatever. I don't get why a fan like myself would want the book thrown at him (and I don't).
He’s specifically talking about a severe punishment, not suggesting Ja didn’t do anything wrong or should be let off the hook altogether.

He’s specifically talking about a severe punishment, not suggesting Ja didn’t do anything wrong or should be let off the hook altogether.

He greatly embarrassed the league, which you just don't do. JJ's looking at it like a civilian and putting real world reasoning on it for some reason. This is a league where you get $250m guaranteed contracts but you can also get suspended from a high stakes game and ruin your team's season for literally just crossing a line (Amare Stoudemire). It's not the real world.

Ja broke a rule that should have cost him a year according to their non-real world rules. But because of plausible deniability, they were happy to look the other way because they couldn't prove (nor did they want to) with 100% certainty he brought a real gun on a team trip, even tho we all believe that's what happened. The league was getting mocked. It was a farce. Rehab. All that stuff. I guarantee the league talked to Ja and said something like, "we are letting you off easy but you cannot **** up again." And then he did something remarkably similar 2 months later.

If he gets half a season, he still gets off easy based on what he could have received

He greatly embarrassed the league, which you just don't do. JJ's looking at it like a civilian and putting real world reasoning on it for some reason. This is a league where you get $250m guaranteed contracts but you can also get suspended from a high stakes game and ruin your team's season for literally just crossing a line (Amare Stoudemire). It's not the real world.

Ja broke a rule that should have cost him a year according to their non-real world rules. But because of plausible deniability, they were happy to look the other way because they couldn't prove (nor did they want to) with 100% certainty he brought a real gun on a team trip, even tho we all believe that's what happened. The league was getting mocked. It was a farce. Rehab. All that stuff. I guarantee the league talked to Ja and said something like, "we are letting you off easy but you cannot **** up again." And then he did something remarkably similar 2 months later.

If he gets half a season, he still gets off easy based on what he could have received

There is no evidence "he brought a real gun on a team trip" that I am aware of. That standard should apply in both the real world and NBA world and did. The rehab stuff was dumb for sure and accomplished nothing.

If he gets half a season, I'm curious what standard will be used as I don't see the precedent. They may do it then move off it under appeal to just "send the message" to others in the league.

Reactions: tvolsfan
There is no evidence "he brought a real gun on a team trip" that I am aware of. That standard should apply in both the real world and NBA world and did. The rehab stuff was dumb for sure and accomplished nothing.

If he gets half a season, I'm curious what standard will be used as I don't see the precedent. They may do it then move off it under appeal to just "send the message" to others in the league.

Does it? Should it? I don't think the burden of proof is necessarily high for employers to act. Say my employer has no real evidence that I stole from them, but applying Occam's razor indicates I did, do they take action or no?

I don't think he'll get half a season. I just threw that out there because that is the stiffest penalty I've heard floated.

And really, what's the story?...some dude in Denver handed you a gun at the club? Or you brought a toy gun? Come on.

Does it? Should it? I don't think the burden of proof is necessarily high for employers to act. Say my employer has no real evidence that I stole from them, but applying Occam's razor indicates I did, do they take action or no?

I don't think he'll get half a season. I just threw that out there because that is the stiffest penalty I've heard floated.

And really, what's the story?...some dude in Denver handed you a gun at the club? Or you brought a toy gun? Come on.

Yeah, my employer isn’t taking action against employees without factual evidence to support. And that standard is higher in a union environment, imo.

His crew brought the gun(s)? They don’t travel with the team, I assume.

Reactions: n_huffhines
Yeah, my employer isn’t taking action against employees without factual evidence to support. And that standard is higher in a union environment, imo.

His crew brought the gun(s)? They don’t travel with the team, I assume.

My employer isn't trying to sue or prosecute, but it's probably goodbye time if they get a whiff of that. We had a warehouse manager who was probably filling up his drug dealer's gas tank on the company card. No way to know for sure. Let him go. The miles on his truck didn't add up. That's some evidence, just like an IG live with Ja holding a gun is evidence, but it's not entirely conclusive.

The union does complicate things, which is probably why this will be 20 games.

I actually think half season isn’t that unreasonable. I do think a full season is too much for what this incident actually was.

I also think that it will end up being a full season when he ****s up again or some old story comes to light.

I actually think half season isn’t that unreasonable. I do think a full season is too much for what this incident actually was.

I also think that it will end up being a full season when he ****s up again or some old story comes to light.
Yes Adam Silver was kind last suspension this time will be a lot more harsh protect the Brand

My employer isn't trying to sue or prosecute, but it's probably goodbye time if they get a whiff of that. We had a warehouse manager who was probably filling up his drug dealer's gas tank on the company card. No way to know for sure. Let him go. The miles on his truck didn't add up. That's some evidence, just like an IG live with Ja holding a gun is evidence, but it's not entirely conclusive.

The union does complicate things, which is probably why this will be 20 games.

I foresee 15-20. But they may go big and pull back on appeal.

Is Ja on suicide watch?

This will sound grumpy old man-ish (and as a disclaimer, I don't do social media), but a big part of the problem for Ja is not just gun/gang stuff but also social media. I find it absurdly weird to post this stuff publicly either way (innocuous, i.e. I'm quitting IG, or a cry for help). Dude needs to get off the media platforms and talk with people.

I also find it weird that all these players and celebrities are using social media to "help" Ja. You really want to help him, go talk with him. Now maybe they tried, and he refuses to entertain it - idk.

Just weird all around to me.

Knowing how JA has been, this is some attention seeking since his name hasn't been first page for a few days

I have a college friend who we put on suicide watch like 5x and he was definitely the attention seeking type but it went way past that. Gun to his head. Cutting himself locked up in the bathroom. We checked him into a hospital twice. He's still alive. I think attention seeking can be a trait of people who aren't well and need external validation

Knowing how JA has been, this is some attention seeking since his name hasn't been first page for a few days

It might be, but I’d rather the right steps and check ins are done. Maybe he feels lonely and does need attention

VN Store

Back