Vols land 4-star Emmanuel Okoye

Jakob Johnson...STILL in the League as a Fullback with the Raiders

i
yup I always forget his name both were projects that went between edge rusher, TE and FB and ended up fullbacks in the NFL

EmmanuelOkoye1920-9900000000079e3c.jpg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Tennessee football has received a signed financial aid agreement from talented NFL Academy athlete Emmanuel Okoye of Lagos, Nigeria, it was announced on Wednesday.

Okoye (pronounced oh-KOY-ay) represented the NFL Academy in Loughborough, U.K., during the fall of 2022 and is slated to enroll at Tennessee this summer and be eligible for the 2023-24 athletic year.

The 18-year-old Okoye's football journey began after being discovered by Osi Umenyiora and his 'The Uprise' program scouts. He was invited to attend the inaugural 'The Uprise' football talent identification camp in Abuja, Nigeria in 2022. After impressing there, he was invited to NFL Africa's talent identification camp held in Ghana in the summer of 2022, with his performance earning him a place at the NFL Academy.

Okoye played defensive end and on special teams for the NFL Academy. He played in contests against IMG Academy, Scotland U19's and Nottingham University. During the NFL Academy Combine, he jumped a 45'5" vertical and a 11'3" broad jump.

Okoye is tabbed as a four-star prospect by both On3.com and 247Sports.com. ESPN.com and Rivals.com both list him as a three-star prospect. He's considered the No. 1 recruit in England. He is the first football student-athlete to sign with the Vols from Nigeria since Chris Akporoghene did as a member of the Class of 2019.

VFL Jakob Johnson had a similar international journey to Tennessee. A native of Stuttgart, Germany, Johnson played for the Stuttgart Scorpions before moving to the United States as a high school senior. A four-year letterwinner with the Vols from 2014-17, he was a member of the NFL's International Pathway Program where he signed a free agent contract with the New England Patriots. Johnson spent three seasons with the Patriots before signing a contract with the Las Vegas Raiders in 2022.

The NFL Academy, an elite player pathway program which opened in September 2019, is a major initiative by the NFL, which aims to use football to create life-changing opportunities for young people all around the world.

It offers talented student athletes aged 16–19 a pathway to combine their full-time education alongside a transformative life skills program and intensive training in the sport, under the guidance of a professional coaching team in an elite sporting set-up.

Based at Loughborough's world-renowned center of sporting excellence in the U.K., and in partnership with Loughborough College and Loughborough University, the program promotes world class performance and the development of elite player pathways, supporting student athletes with NFL best practices and resources.

A unique pipeline has just been opened up and this is an intriguing addition to the tight end room.

Reactions: pimo1
Whilst Im delighted to have Nico on the team I really hoped it was pronounced as I-am-a-leava which for somebody who supported BREXIT this seemed perfect. So its I-a-mal-e-a-va still of course it is his choice

Thx ScreenThis for the heads up on this article

Emmanuel Okoye goes from Nigeria to NFL Academy to Vols commit
  • i

Chris Low, ESPN Senior Writer May 17, 2023, 09:00 AM ET

Emmanuel Okoye, who grew up in Lagos, Nigeria, and was most recently a part of the NFL Academy program in England, said Wednesday that he plans to play college football at Tennessee.
The 6-foot-5, 230-pound Okoye said USC and Texas Tech were his other finalists. He also had offers from several other Power 5 schools, including Georgia.
Okoye plans to enroll at Tennessee this summer and would be eligible to play in 2023.
He played in three games last fall for the NFL Academy team -- his first and only game experience in organized football -- and saw time at defensive end and on special teams. The Volunteers say he could develop into a tight end.

Okoye, 18, grew up playing soccer in Nigeria and later fell in love with basketball as a teenager. He didn't know much about football until he was discovered last year by two-time Super Bowl champion Osi Umenyiora's "The Uprise" program and scouts, who invited him to attend a talent identification camp in Abuja, Nigeria. He impressed enough to be invited to NFL Africa's talent identification camp in Ghana in the summer.
His showing there earned him a spot at the NFL Academy -- an elite player pathway program that opened in September 2019 and aims to use football to create life-changing opportunities for young people around the world -- and he moved to the United Kingdom.
Naturally raw as a football player, Okoye showcased amazing athleticism at the NFL Academy combine. He recorded a 45.5-inch vertical leap and an 11-foot, 3-inch broad jump -- both of which would be NFL combine records for defensive ends. Okoye also has a 72-inch wingspan.
"I am thankful for all the support from everyone who is part of the NFL Academy program, my mentor Osi Umenyiora and all those who have contributed to this special moment for me," Okoye said as part of a statement released by the NFL. "This is just the beginning of my journey, and I will continue to work hard to grow and learn every day. Whilst I will always be part of the NFL Academy family, I am excited to join the University of Tennessee, and to continue to develop as a player and a young man. I hope I will make my family proud, and that starts with an elite education -- which was key to my decision making -- and I can't wait to take this opportunity and give it everything I have."
Umenyiora, who was born in the United Kingdom to Nigerian parents and is leading the NFL's football development efforts in Africa, added: "What an incredible moment for Emmanuel. His athleticism, natural sporting talent and outstanding personal character make him an impressive prospect for the game. ... Remember Emmanuel's name, as he has an exciting future ahead."
Former Georgia wide receiver Kris Durham, an international football development consultant for the NFL Academy, called Okoye a fantastic example of a crossover athlete who has played football for less than a year, yet has shown the talent and work ethic to get a shot to play college football at the highest level.
"His story will undoubtedly pave the way for the future NFL Academy prospects and recruits, driving awareness of the program and the opportunities for its talented student-athletes, and I couldn't be prouder to witness his journey so far, nor be more excited about what his future holds," Durham said.
Okoye, rated as a three-star prospect by ESPN, visited Tennessee in April for the Volunteers' spring game. He also visited USC and Texas Tech in April.

Perhaps as a Thank You to England, we give them Meghan Markle??
Yep and that was the ultimate get back for the King's Tyranny!

If he is 6' 5" (77") and has a 72" wingspan, that is well below average. Normal would be about 6' 7" or 79". I would come closer to believing 7' 2" knowing that these stats get exaggerated.

VN Store

Back