DAN CAMPBELL: "It's going to be a long time before Hooker competes for starting job."

Tman44

God Father of Soul
I think what they are doing with HH is absolutely great. He is going to be given all the time he needs to heal. HH will have time to learn the playbook and understand the offense without any pressure to produce. I hate it when I see a rookie QB get thrown to the wolves in his first year and it ruins a career. The Lions will be taking the opposite approach here and I hope it sets HH up for a hall of fame worthy run.

Dan Campbell: 'It's Going To Be A Long Time' Before Hendon Hooker Competes For Lions Starting QB Job

The Lions are looking out for Hendon and setting him up for success. Although it’s much later than I thought he should’ve gone, it’s cool to see the landing in Motor City. It didn’t hurt that GM Brad Holmes played at NC A&T with Alan Hooker and is also from the Greensboro area. After what Hooker did helping to relaunch the program, giving his all taking down FL & AL, going undefeated at Neyland, number #1 rated offense, etc - I’m his biggest fan for continued success at the next level.

There was talk of him going to the Lions prior to the draft beginning, but I didn't believe it. I honestly believed that he would go to Tampa Bay with their late first round pick. I can't believe he fell to the third round! It will help him in the long run, though. He won't have the 5th Year thrown on him, which means he can get paid handsomely, a year earlier, if he performs well later on in his rookie contract.

We always “love” our latest and greatest. Especially when they lead us to great heights. However some seem to mean more to the program than others. I admire Hooker as a man as much as a player. As a Tenn QB though, I still am amazed when I watched Dobbs run so effortlessly. Don’t know if skills are comparable between Hooker and Dobbs but would have loved to see Dobbs in this offense.

We always “love” our latest and greatest. Especially when they lead us to great heights. However some seem to mean more to the program than others. I admire Hooker as a man as much as a player. As a Tenn QB though, I still am amazed when I watched Dobbs run so effortlessly. Don’t know if skills are comparable between Hooker and Dobbs but would have loved to see Dobbs in this offense.
Dobbs was a good QB, especially with his running, but he's not near the passer Hooker was. I'll give you that Jones' offense may have handcuffed him though.

I think what they are doing with HH is absolutely great. He is going to be given all the time he needs to heal. HH will have time to learn the playbook and understand the offense without any pressure to produce. I hate it when I see a rookie QB get thrown to the wolves in his first year and it ruins a career. The Lions will be taking the opposite approach here and I hope it sets HH up for a hall of fame worthy run.

Dan Campbell: 'It's Going To Be A Long Time' Before Hendon Hooker Competes For Lions Starting QB Job
Rather dramatic title for the article. LONG TIME? One would think that one year of learning the system and healing from ACL repair would be fast track.

Kinda am, kinda not... One foot in and one foot out type of guy.

The guy is fun to watch though
I didnt know his name but he is a dynamic personality, seems to be a guy who knows what he wants.

Unlike other coaches, who even visit UT - meet with certain QB's, who are 'bananas' for 'generational' QB's that throw perfect passes off 5 step drops - straight into the hands of waiting Tennessee DB's.

#Vrabel for President

Rather dramatic title for the article. LONG TIME? One would think that one year of learning the system and healing from ACL repair would be fast track.

I don't think the article is being dramatic. It was HH who said he'd be ready to go, not the Lions, their statements say no, no, and sometime in the future. And I would definitely want to see the O-line play before I even thought of putting HH out there. I think if JG (why does he have to have those initials??? lol) plays like a pro this year, we'll see HH sit next year as well, and come in on mop up duty and such, which would be a great slow process into the full NFL QB scenario and what HH should have. I think since his dad was a QB, he's way ahead in his mental mindset than most rookie QB's and I hope that really pays off for him.

Goff is under contract for two years at $30M, very reasonable. Goff was a top 10 QB in 2023 and really flourished under Ben Johnson. The Lions wanted to add a young, cheap backup. It’s a great fit, especially since Hendon can really ease into year 1.

Now, I don’t necessarily believe that Hooker was drafted to be Goff’s replacement. I believe he was added because Brad loves high character football guys with upside, which Hendon is, and wanted to improve the QB room. Maybe by 2025 it’s possible Goff regresses, gets hurt, or QB salaries are outrageous and the Lions decline to extend Goff. Holmes loves Goff and was with the Rams scouting department when he was drafted. But I do like Hendon in Detroit and think he can succeed if he gets a chance.

What's the oldest a player was before starting and still making it to the Hall of Fame?

VN Store

Back