Questions From Noobs:Tennessee Baseball Edition

Do jersey numbers play any significance like in football, or is it all random?

The original baseball numbers were based on the lineup. The starting players would be numbered 1-8, based on their spot in the order. The backup catcher would be number 9, and the pitchers would wear 10-14 (but not 13, as that is superstitious).[13] Notable examples of this system are teammates Babe Ruth (he was number 3 and batted third for the Yankees) and Lou Gehrig (number 4, batted fourth).

Uniform number (Major League Baseball) - Wikipedia

The original baseball numbers were based on the lineup. The starting players would be numbered 1-8, based on their spot in the order. The backup catcher would be number 9, and the pitchers would wear 10-14 (but not 13, as that is superstitious).[13] Notable examples of this system are teammates Babe Ruth (he was number 3 and batted third for the Yankees) and Lou Gehrig (number 4, batted fourth).

Uniform number (Major League Baseball) - Wikipedia
Very interesting, Thanks

I taught my wife how to score a baseball game when our oldest son was in Little League and I was coaching. She learned the game and how it is really played and she could talk baseball with our son. By the end of the youngest son's high school career, she was a pro and knew the game inside and out.

Same here. Mine actually coached older sons for me one night when I had to coach a varsity game. She won 32-0. Sons said she stood on third and just kept waving to run. The recreation department guy, who was not at the game either, called me in his office the next day. The guy she beat was sitting out in the lobby when I got there. The rec guy asked me why I ran the score up like that. He said that's not like you. I told him the story and who was actually coaching. Then very loudly said, "If a woman beat me that bad, I would not be in here complaining. I would be having practice this morning or learning how to coach." Probably not the best thing to do but I went from mad to hilarious really quick. I never let my wife coach again. She did coach softball in middle school and went undefeated and did run the score up a few times. Now, she can tell you the rules and probably what pitch was thrown.

Same here. Mine actually coached older sons for me one night when I had to coach a varsity game. She won 32-0. Sons said she stood on third and just kept waving to run. The recreation department guy, who was not at the game either, called me in his office the next day. The guy she beat was sitting out in the lobby when I got there. The rec guy asked me why I ran the score up like that. He said that's not like you. I told him the story and who was actually coaching. Then very loudly said, "If a woman beat me that bad, I would not be in here complaining. I would be having practice this morning or learning how to coach." Probably not the best thing to do but I went from mad to hilarious really quick. I never let my wife coach again. She did coach softball in middle school and went undefeated and did run the score up a few times. Now, she can tell you the rules and probably what pitch was thrown.

That's classic.

At one point, our oldest had a teammate whose uncle was a former Vol baseball player who also played in the bigs. The grandmother would wear out the umps over a bad call or not knowing the rules. She had been around baseball for decades and absolutely knew her stuff. On top of that, when she opened her mouth, you immediately knew she was a yankee- it was hysterical hearing this grandmother chew on the umps for not knowing the infield fly rule or blowing a call.

Each coach is different. Some start with Best on Friday. Some start with best matchups, if some coaches think they cannot beat the Friday guy with their Friday guy then they will move him to Saturday to get the win
Are they able to change their pitcher choice after the release of the game day lineup? For example you see the opponent pulled a last minute switch and you want to match up differently?
Also, is the entire roster available for every game? Or is there a limit?

Are they able to change their pitcher choice after the release of the game day lineup? For example you see the opponent pulled a last minute switch and you want to match up differently?
Also, is the entire roster available for every game? Or is there a limit?
Once you exchange lineup cards then that’s the starting lineup. If you sub for a player then they cannot play that game. That’s the way I have always understood the rules.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
You can change anything until lineup is exchanged. The lineups we see are just courtesy. I’ve known coaches to publicize one thing and change it intentionally.
If I remember correctly, Corbin plays a game with announcing who are the starting pitchers on Saturday and Sunday.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
When a team has already won the series after two games do they let up on the third game or try to treat it as a practice to improve on areas they want to work on or do they go all out?

The series really means nothing unless you end in a tie with that team. That is just a fan thing really.

When a team has already won the series after two games do they let up on the third game or try to treat it as a practice to improve on areas they want to work on or do they go all out?

The way I look at it is this. Once you’ve won the series getting the sweep is gravy. But, I’ve also seen getting into Hoover the very last SEC game of the season. Right now we’re 5 games behind Florida, 6 behind VU. So tomorrow is a big game just to stay in the hunt at .500. At the moment, we will have or will soon, have played #1, 3, 4, and 5. And the Aggies are one of the best hitting teams in the SEC.

Does college baseball have any big nasty rivalry’s like in other college sports that draw national interest?

For example you have:

Football
Tennessee/Alabama
Ohio State/Michigan
Army/Navy

Basketball
Duke/North Carolina
Kentucky/Louisville

W. Basketball
Tennessee/UConn

Does college baseball have any big nasty rivalry’s like in other college sports that draw national interest?

For example you have:

Football
Tennessee/Alabama
Ohio State/Michigan
Army/Navy

Basketball
Duke/North Carolina
Kentucky/Louisville

W. Basketball
Tennessee/UConn

Here's some that come to mind:

Tennessee/Vandy
Tennessee/Florida
Tennessee/Arkansas
Tennessee/LSU

(maybe some home team and recency bias here)

For example you have:

Football
Tennessee/Alabama
Ohio State/Michigan
Army/Navy

Basketball
Duke/North Carolina
Kentucky/Louisville

W. Basketball
Tennessee/UConn
There will be more now that college baseball is finally receiving more national exposure. Plus, if not on a a national or regional network, most games are available to be streamed. It wasn’t that long ago that radio was your only option until the CWS. Wilkerson is great and all but there’s nothing like being able to see and hear the action.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
I think any of the top teams in the SEC are rivalries. I will bet Florida/Vandy/Arkansas/ and LSU hate each other also. I'm sure there are some out west just don't keep up with those. They try to say there are some between Texas teams but we don't really hear of them.

VN Store

Back