Tennessee Transfer Portal Targets

Knecht plays like I thought JP would.

A lot of y’all are getting your hopes up about what this kid is going to be. Put Phillips or a healthy JJJ at Northern Colorado then trim their whole season down to YouTube highlights and they would look much better than Knecht. If Knecht could replace Phillips’ numbers from last season that would probably be a big win, he’s not going to be an all conference type of player

A lot of y’all are getting your hopes up about what this kid is going to be. Put Phillips or a healthy JJJ at Northern Colorado then trim their whole season down to YouTube highlights and they would look much better than Knecht. If Knecht could replace Phillips’ numbers from last season that would probably be a big win, he’s not going to be an all conference type of player

I’d bet Knecht will have a better season next year then both of those guys. We can revisit this at the end of next season

Fair enough. The competition in those highlights is nothing like SEC competition. It is just that he looks so much better than his competition in the limited video I've seen. If he could get 10 to 12 ppg with the vols it would be huge.

Fair enough. The competition in those highlights is nothing like SEC competition. It is just that he looks so much better than his competition in the limited video I've seen. If he could get 10 to 12 ppg with the vols it would be huge.
The thing about his level of competition is that if you put better players around him then he still can look good. But when your the man you get keyed on and he still looked good at NCU. I think the guy can be a legitimate play maker for UT until im proven wrong.

Yeah, he reminds me of a smaller, quicker Nkamhoua without the occasional "what sport am I playing" moments. If that 3p shot can become at least average in spot-up situations and if he can defend out on the perimeter even a little, I like it.
Well one thing is for sure. His hands receiving a pass to the post are going to be significantly better than Nkamhoua. Olivier needed some stickum like Lester Hayes.

Can we get the last 15 games of 2022 out of JJJ? That was a really good basketball player!
Believe those 15 games were an anomaly IMO, based on his career (108 games). He got his midrange going on that run, without question, but as others have posted, we know what we had with JJJ. Good guy but not reliable or consistent on offensive end.

We have a PG and really don’t need two. Once the ball is across mid-court our PG isn’t touching the ball a whole lot more than anybody else as long as everybody is in motion. Two off guards can typically get the ball into the front court. When teams press (they usually don’t) we normally have 5 very good passers on the floor and don’t have a hard time getting to the front court. The players are well coached and know to stay out of the corners and to keep the ball moving to avoid the trap.

If the staff lands a great PG like Chandler, Bone, or Turner then they will exploit their ability.

In the current game, being true PG dependent can create more problems than it solves. ZZ and KC are exceptions because they can guard at a high level. But with the switching defense they can also find themselves at a huge disadvantage being posted up by much bigger opponents.

I think that most of the no backup PG criticism comes from posters that are chronic Barnes Bashers.
Not a Barnes basher, myself, but I think our absence of a PG was extremely evident when ZZ went down. I don't know how you think we are OK without one.

Not a Barnes basher, myself, but I think our absence of a PG was extremely evident when ZZ went down. I don't know how you think we are OK without one.
I would agree with this. It was felt most on defense where we didn't have an attacker at the point and let a lot more drives to the basket happen. And it's way we struggled a lot in the 2nd half of games defensively.

On offense, it hurt because we didn't have guys who could create their own shots and needed a good facilitator who was also a good penetrator to set them up. ZZ could do both. I love Santi to death, but he isn't great at creating his own shot when he has possession like ZZ and KC have been the last couple years.

Reactions: cncchris33

I think that’s a totally reasonable expectation and would be a victory for him and the team. People saying “he’s who I thought Phillips/JJJ would be” are setting themselves up for disappointment

I’m glad yours is different lmaooooo

Buddy, if Knecht is the one in 100 transfer that comes in and averages 15 his first year in the league I’ll hold my hands up and say I was wrong, but I suspect there’s going to be a learning curve. You’re basing this off numbers he put up in a bad league and comp videos that only show dunks and made 3’s. I think hitting 10 a game would be great for him.

Reactions: berryvol

If ZZ had been injured earlier in the season then there would have been more time to adapt. Instead he was hurt at the most challenging point in the SEC season. Still managed to hold serve at home and won 3 of 5 tournament games. Every loss other than at Rupp was single digits. So there was a plan in the unlikely event that ZZ was lost for the season.

I pointed out that 2 off guards should be able to get the ball across mid court. And Mashack came out of nowhere to fill a role. JJJ was also an option as a backup PG but was also hurt.

Edwards, JJJ, Key, Santi, and Mashack were backup PG options. ZZ wasn’t very successful at finishing after getting to the basket anyway. He’s too small. What was missing was a reliable, second perimeter shooter. Too many teams played Santi close and clogged the paint. When ZZ was out then another capable outside shooter vanished.

When opponents turn up the defensive pressure it was most effective at preventing inbounds passes. A PG isn’t required to overcome that. Just passing the ball to open teammates when double and triple teams come.

Another thing lost with ZZ was free throw shooting.

Last edited:
Because none of our other guards could penetrate the way other teams 2 guards could. You cant have just one guy that can break down a defense. SG or CG doesnt make that big of a difference if they can penetrate.

VN Store

Back