Lady Vols add Farragut standout from transfer portal (Avery Strickland)

A lot of questions about Ace's abilities will not be answered until we see how Harper uses the girl next season...She appears to have good mobility, which is very positive, and she has a decent outside shot...

I saw her play at Farragut, when she was still in high school...She was the star of the game....She was scoring from all over the place on offense, and she stayed in front of her assigned player on defense....

She also cleans up very nicely...
pitt-panther-avery-strickland-v0-1na4tg3alrra1.jpg
The thing is not every player is meant to be great, no matter what the coach does. So if she not that good u will say it’s the coaches fault and not her talent level?

Wha?? Jordan Horston was a void this signee will fill? Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and everyone who's ever signed gets this overkill treatment. But to me at some point it's just not fair to lay really out there expectations on some of these players.

I wish her the best but am realistic about her role for the upcoming season, which is my only focus right now. She's young though, has plenty of time to grow.
That’s the point of college athletics. How many “flops” are there in college you never know how much someone is going to develop. We def had many flops here of recent years that couldnt find it at a lower level school either.

That’s the point of college athletics. How many “flops” are there in college you never know how much someone is going to develop. We def had many flops here of recent years that couldnt find it at a lower level school either.
The list of “Top 100” who never averaged 6 ppg in their college career is STAGERING

Heck a 2020 McDAA from UNC just transferred to Rutgers has never averaged more than 4 points in her career

Reactions: Bret178
Yea the Darby comparisons are insane! I mean come on, what few highlights I’ve seen, she doesn’t compare at all aside from the fact she shoots the 3 ball. 🙄 she looks way quicker than Tess off the bounce.

You're looking at high school highlights. You know who else could score off the bounce in high school? Tess Darby.

At this level, Strickland has been a one dimensional three point shooter with the vast majority of her attempts behind the arc... like Darby. She doesn't create or drive and rarely gets to the line (16 free throw attempts all season)... like Darby. She isn't a particularly good defender... like Darby. And like Darby, there is a reason no other SEC program recruited her...

You're looking at high school highlights. You know who else could score off the bounce in high school? Tess Darby.

At this level, Strickland has been a one dimensional three point shooter with the vast majority of her attempts behind the arc... like Darby. She doesn't create or drive and rarely gets to the line (16 free throw attempts all season)... like Darby. She isn't a particularly good defender... like Darby. And like Darby, there is a reason no other SEC program recruited her...
From watching multiple games, she has a hard time dribbling when having to create, she’s maybe a lil quicker than Darby but like I said before she’s a backup at best.

The list of “Top 100” who never averaged 6 ppg in their college career is STAGERING

Heck a 2020 McDAA from UNC just transferred to Rutgers has never averaged more than 4 points in her career
Please identify some of the Top 100 who averaged less than 6 ppg. That would be illuminating. Let's give Ace the opportunity to show that she will help the LVs win plenty of games in the next three seasons. Welcome home, Ace. GBO.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Please identify some of the Top 100 who averaged less than 6 ppg. That would be illuminating. Let's give Ace the opportunity to show that she will help the LVs win plenty of games in the next three seasons. Welcome home, Ace. GBO.
I know most people on here like getting a hometown girl but I want to win championships. I have no issue with her being here as long as we get 2 more elite guards.

Put it this way. She has more talent than three of our starters last year. Why would she not be an asset to our team? Plus, she is a better overall athlete than most on the team.

You are GREATLY overestimating her talent. She is about to take Miles' place at the end of the bench...

Put it this way. She has more talent than three of our starters last year. Why would she not be an asset to our team? Plus, she is a better overall athlete than most on the team.
If we are planning on competing for a championship, she would see very limited mins.

Yea the Darby comparisons are insane! I mean come on, what few highlights I’ve seen, she doesn’t compare at all aside from the fact she shoots the 3 ball. 🙄 she looks way quicker than Tess off the bounce.

I watched some of the Pitt-Miami game and Avery got open shots, called for the ball and when she never got it told a teammate she was open after the play, and directed teammates on defense.

Avery helped break a Miami press so she’s comfortable dribbling,

Her transition to the SEC will require her to tighten her ball handle and improve driving to the rim and defending the dribble drive. Hopefully that’s the focus of her summer workouts.

She looks much quicker than Tess. I would describe her movement as fluid. She moves like players at Notre Dame. She has a knack for the game. And she’s passionate and smart.

She has my full support.

She’ll get minutes and will help spread the floor. She has a quick release.

No…..I was actually looking at her clips from Pitt, where she was scoring off the bounce…..a lot quicker than Darby has ever scored off the bounce. I’ve never seen Darby drive by someone and go to the hoop for a layup. I just watched a clip of Avery do that….in college, not high school.

Ace comes in with a 1.02 and 49 which aren't bad numbers for a freshmen. She is going to get better. She can get to the basket some and passes the ball very well. She has a very good handle. She won't be helping much on the boards. She can definitely play point guard or two guard. I think she might shoot the three at about 40 percent before she is through here. Went for 34 as a freshman. I think Tess was fairly close to that number as a freshman as well.

...At this level, Strickland has been a one dimensional three point shooter with the vast majority of her attempts behind the arc... like Darby. She doesn't create or drive and rarely gets to the line (16 free throw attempts all season)... like Darby. She isn't a particularly good defender... like Darby. And like Darby, there is a reason no other SEC program recruited her...

"At this level" she played for a coach so good,, he has seen 8 of his 12 go into the portal from last year's team,,,a coach who stuck a fearless driver on the baseline begging for a feed..I will wait to reserve my judgement until she gets a chance to play her game

From watching multiple games, she has a hard time dribbling when having to create, she’s maybe a lil quicker than Darby but like I said before she’s a backup at best.

As a fan of the LV's,,you're not even a "backup fan"

unless it is of your mentor,
Party on Darth.png

"At this level" she played for a coach so good,, he has seen 8 of his 12 go into the portal from last year's team,,,a coach who stuck a fearless driver on the baseline begging for a feed..I will wait to reserve my judgement until she gets a chance to play her game

As a fan of the LV's,,you're not even a "backup fan"

unless it is of your mentor,
View attachment 547406
I’m not here to argue with anyone, but show me one time where I put someone down for their opinion? I’m just saying what I e seen from the games I’ve watched, how is that a problem. I do t have a personal relationship with any of the players, I’m sure if that was the case I wouldn’t be that objective.

Reactions: GameTime
For all the people that don’t like what I’ve said, please tell me what do u think her numbers will be this season and will she be all Sec 1st or 2nd team?

For all the people that don’t like what I’ve said, please tell me what do u think her numbers will be this season and will she be all Sec 1st or 2nd team?
I think she will get about 15 minutes a game and go for about 9 points and 2 rebounds. I think she will shoot the three at about 36 percent and make about 40 to 50 of them next season. I would say she wouldn't be a starter, but Darby is so it might be possible.

If she’s making SEC 1st or 2nd team then RJ, Key or Jillian struggled . 6th man….potentially

Reactions: VolFuture

VN Store

Back