Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
A coach in any sport who's teams repeatedly beat good teams and then lose to mediocre ones tend to have these qualities:

He can develop and/or recruit good talent
He is good at X/O's
He is poor at motivating his team when playing lesser talent
His teams play tight due to fear of reprisals from the coach

CRB's "defense" seems to be his team's specialty. It's very hard for a team to play good defense when NOT motivated. Several have said we would have been better off playing Purdue in the SS. The underdog mentality would have motivated the team.

It's Barnes' offensive system that has to change. We have to get guys that can penetrate and score on drives. They need to work on getting the big men the ball down low. They need to attack in transition instead of setting up in the halfcourt every possession. His offensive system (other than the increase in the volume of 3s taken) feels ancient.

He's a good recruiter and a good leader of men. His defensive schemes are clearly effective. Our offense looks like Virginia out there, and we'll never make a deep run without some changes to the offensive side of the ball.

It's Barnes' offensive system that has to change. We have to get guys that can penetrate and score on drives. They need to work on getting the big men the ball down low. They need to attack in transition instead of setting up in the halfcourt every possession. His offensive system (other than the increase in the volume of 3s taken) feels ancient.

He's a good recruiter and a good leader of men. His defensive schemes are clearly effective. Our offense looks like Virginia out there, and we'll never make a deep run without some changes to the offensive side of the ball.

The transition game is a good point. We create too many turnovers to have such a low number of fast break points.

The transition game is a good point. We create too many turnovers to have such a low number of fast break points.

I think one thing Barnes does that rarely gets mention is he tailors to his talent.

When Grant was here and Admiral and Kyle we shot nearly 50% from FG and scored 80+ ppg. Feeding the interior and scoring through Grant.

KC last year and even Springer/Keon the year before we pushed pace more in transition and the team ran more off turnovers.

This year the team was just not athletic enough (outside ZZ) to really push transition and even though we had plenty of interior bodies no one was anywhere near the scoring threat of Grant.

Be interesting to see what next year's team looks like...I think he'll have a lot more team speed/athleticism overall but not sure how many knock it down 3 point shooters we'll have. Could be a team that we see pushing it more in transition to take advantage of easy buckets.

Name them. Tell me who UNC, Duke, Villanova, LSU, UF, Louisville, Arizona, Syracuse, Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Maryland, Missouri have all hired recently. These are blue bloods or at least solid programs.

The only schools that have hired sitting P5 coaches recently are Texas (because Beard was an alum); Marquette (because Smart needed out); Indiana (hired a former alum who had never coached college); Xavier (because Miller was fired at Arizona); Georgetown (because Ed Cooley is getting $6 million and he's made one SS in 12 years); Texas A&M (because Buzz Williams wanted to go home to Texas)

I laugh at the mentions of throwing money at Jay Wright or someone similar to him because I saw those comments on boards 20 years ago when we hired Buzz Peterson. Sure, there are great coaches out there, but you will have to find them as an assistant or at the G5 level.
I would rather trust DW to find/land the next big thing.

Rebounds cost this game
That was shocking. We were watching every rebound and they were flying in and predicting where the rebound would go. Some luck involved there, but that absolutely killed us. We held them on way too many possessions only for them to grab it and score on the 2nd or 3rd try. Seemed like they were about 100% on converting their offensive rebounds to points

now we enter the worst period of sports, may each of you enjoy the weather, time with your family, and exercise.
I mean, might as well. I'm not repeating last year of watching baseball every weekend. This year it's 5 months of getting outdoors before football season. Life is too short for sports 52 weekends out of the year. The pandemic just made that start to feel a little too normal 😅

I mean, might as well. I'm not repeating last year of watching baseball every weekend. This year it's 5 months of getting outdoors before football season. Life is too short for sports 52 weekends out of the year. The pandemic just made that start to feel a little too normal 😅
Yeaaah not going to watch as much baseball either

However

I'm still excited to watch the rest of this tournament!

Reactions: Devo182
At the end of the day, this team truly overachieved. When you have an entire roster full of streaky shooters, you usually won't win near this many games. I appreciate what those guys gave for Tennessee, but personally I hope all the seniors leave and we bring in other players. The team might not do as well as this one, but I'm pretty confident this is by far the best you will get out of this particular team. GBO
Yeah and I sort of thought about the streakiness even from game 1 of the tourney. We hadn't won even 3 in a row in TWO MONTHS. This team was ironically built to both be able to beat anybody, but also unable to win a string of consecutive games because of the awful downside to our offensive variance.

I figured even if we did beat Louisiana we wouldn't go far because winning 3 in a row wasn't who we were, especially when all 3 are tourney teams. But hey we did get 2 and body bagged us another blue blood. That one will live on a good long while.

Reactions: Jimmy Football
Barnes should stay until he's ready to retire. That said, he gets waaaay to much money to lose to teams like Florida Atlantic.
How about for beating...

Alabama
Duke
Texas
Maryland
Zaga
Kansas
USC

And FAU is literally #17 in KenPom 😅🤣

Dear god let's stop acting like they're nobodies when the best analytical mind in college basketball says otherwise...just because they aren't some well known P5 team.

I like Barnes, he is just not good in March and he blew the easiest opportunity to get to an elite 8 or final four probably ever. Some times someone shows you who they are and you just have to accept it. Barnes ceiling is Sweet sixteen. I have not once said fire him or I hate him. Sheesh I see why Bass left this place.
👏

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
Throw a fat stack at the K State coach. First year as a head coach, took over a mediocre team, and he’s probably going to make a further run than Barnes has in 35 years of coaching. Plus he was a long time Baylor assistant during their surge to dominance.

Reactions: volbeast33
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back