Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
What?!?! lol! This program has the resources to win a Championship. If Loyala, Wichita, and others you named can mark it with half the resources or less than we can.

I’ve never been the CEO of a company so I guess I’ve hit my ceiling. Yikes man! Come on. Florida Atlantic has never done anything in the tournament ever in its history. Yet they have made as many elite 8s as us.

Any major program with resources can win if they commit to it even if it’s never happened in their history. South Carolina football is always viewed as mediocre because they never win the SEC. Do you think if Kirby had taken the job and Georgia didn’t fire Richt that they wouldn’t have a title right now?

Are you comparing Georgia football pre-Kirby to Tennessee basketball? They won a National Championship in 1980 and had plenty of top 4 and top 8 finishes over the years before he got there.

I don’t like it and you don’t have to like it either, but it just is. One Elite 8 in our 115 year history as a basketball program.

Reactions: hooter vol
It’s out there. And even in here, I don’t see a a lot of difference between “he should be fired” and “I hope he retires.”

I doesn’t matter though. He’ll retire in the next 3-5 years, and he will almost certainly be here when he does. There’s no movement in the AD to get rid of him.

Yep. UT is laser-focused on keeping, not firing, the marquee HCs. The internal emphasis is on rock-solid stability and giving the HCs the resources they need to succeed. Every year, UTAD asks them what their program needs to win championships-- and gives it to them. The coaches who are most open to making big changes are seeing big differences. At some point, it's what you do with the resources you've given.

Many people think CRB will retire in a few years. There are other things he wants to do, and the postseason narrative will only get louder.

I don't know why Rucker didn't finish the last sentence, which should have read, "...a game that had to be won without your starting point guard and two of your other players (both of whom were expected to provide offense on this team) playing at less than 100% for the last half of the season."

Are you comparing Georgia football pre-Kirby to Tennessee basketball? They won a National Championship in 1980 and had plenty of top 4 and top 8 finishes over the years before he got there.

I don’t like it and you don’t have to like it either, but it just is. One Elite 8 in our 115 year history as a basketball program.
It’ll stay at one elite 8 and 115 plus years if we want to stick with what everyone already knows won’t get Tennessee another Elite 8. Entire point of the past AD’s vs this AD… Huge difference. Bammer will just rack up the Elite 8’s. Simply because they hired a bozo but a really good coach. Tennessee outspent them by millions for basketball in the most recent financial releases.

Money talks. It happens all the time. You don’t hear about a coach wanting to leave until a team lays the money down and hooks them. Let’s take FAUs coach Dusty May. You think FAU could bid us if we really wanted him? No way. Throw &6 million a year at May and I bet he comes in a heartbeat.

This whole narrative that we can’t do better than Barnes is absolutely insane.

You can absolutely get Dusty May…too bad I didn’t know his name until 3 weeks ago. If that’s what you want, go for it. He’s made one NCAAT in 5 years. But for those saying you can get a successful sitting P5 coach…that’s only happening if that coach is ready to reset his contract or somehow has ties to the AD or university. Hiring Dusty May would be…well, a crap shoot.

Money talks. It happens all the time. You don’t hear about a coach wanting to leave until a team lays the money down and hooks them. Let’s take FAUs coach Dusty May. You think FAU could bid us if we really wanted him? No way. Throw &6 million a year at May and I bet he comes in a heartbeat.

This whole narrative that we can’t do better than Barnes is absolutely insane.
When it happens the reaction in here will be something to see.

You can absolutely get Dusty May…too bad I didn’t know his name until 3 weeks ago. If that’s what you want, go for it. He’s made one NCAAT in 5 years. But for those saying you can get a successful sitting P5 coach…that’s only happening if that coach is ready to reset his contract or somehow has ties to the AD or university. Hiring Dusty May would be…well, a crap shoot.
I don’t think DW would hire Dusty May

Also I will say Rick Barnes entertaining the UCLA job as much as he did ultimately soured him for a lot of fans here.

I don't care personally, but I get why fans didn't appreciate that.

I agree
Some people forgive easy and some dont
I was pissed but I also think UT in all sports is a destination job

I don't know why Rucker didn't finish the last sentence, which should have read, "...a game that had to be won without your starting point guard and two of your other players (both of whom were expected to provide offense on this team) playing at less than 100% for the last half of the season."
Sounds like excuses. You are dealt the hand you have to play with. Rotate more guys in at positions and you don’t have to rely on a SG to be your PG. develop the guys you recruited so you have depth.

Yes similar to tejas firing Barnes and hiring Shaka Smart when he was the next big thing. That didn’t work out quite so well for them. Similar to jawja hiring Tom Crean. There are no guarantees

Sounds like excuses. You are dealt the hand you have to play with. Rotate more guys in at positions and you don’t have to rely on a SG to be your PG. develop the guys you recruited so you have depth.

We had more depth than in year’s past except at PG. Missing on Tyrese Hunter hurt. But most high level programs are going to suffer when their starting PG goes down.

Sitting coaches can be hired away. If you think they can’t then you are wrong. It depends a lot on how much the AD wants to put into it. May just showed a coaching job that Barnes has been unable to pull off at TN. And there are many coaches out there who are better than Barnes.

Reactions: VolNash17
Yes similar to tejas firing Barnes and hiring Shaka Smart when he was the next big thing. That didn’t work out quite so well for them. Similar to jawja hiring Tom Crean. There are no guarantees

No there are no guarantees. But thinking we should stick with Barnes because there are no guarantees is ridiculous. How many more times are we gonna have to accept getting bounced by inferior teams? How many more years are we gonna have to accept Barnes can’t recruit shooters? Or that his development skills are lackluster?

Reactions: VolNash17
No there are no guarantees. But thinking we should stick with Barnes because there are no guarantees is ridiculous. How many more times are we gonna have to accept getting bounced by inferior teams? How many more years are we gonna have to accept Barnes can’t recruit shooters? Or that his development skills are lackluster?

Guy we just went to our 2nd Sweet 16 in 5 years

Firing Rick Barnes would absolutely be idiotic. Unlike most of the basketball fair-weather fans I watched pre-Pearl era Vols basketball. This program has gotten very lucky to 1. hire an up and comer in Pearl and then 2. have a culture/foundation building experienced hire like Barnes fall into our lap.

I remember that fans didn't appreciate Jerry Green when he was here. But Wade Houston and Kevin O'Neill had never even made the damn NCAA, Green takes the team every year and even makes a Sweet Sixteen. Then back in the dumpster with Buzz and no NCAA appearances for four straight seasons.

Hell after Pearl we were right back in the dumpster with Cuonzo, somehow snuck into the NCAA in his final season and they make a run off sheer player talent cause if ya'll remember that team was UGLY on offense, tournament comes around and they average 79.5 ppg on offense... McRae, Stokes, Richardson all said "we ain't going out like this" had absolutely NOTHING to do with Cunozo and his coaching, we got to be a low seed and then we got the most beautiful bracket you could have asked for with a 6 seed UMass and then a 14 seed Mercer that had upset Duke, soon as we faced a legit team (Michigan) we got bounced though.

But Rick's made 5 NCAA appearances, 4 25 win seasons, 2 Sweet 16s, 1 Regular Season Championship and 1 SECT Championship...unless he stops making the NCAA you let that man stay until he retires himself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back