Detroit Signing Vols

WBO

As one of the old guys here I note that the Lions have signed both Cam Sutton and Emmanuel Moseley in their secondary. Back in the 60's the Lions had multiple Vols as starters especially Mike Lucci and Paul Naumoff at LB. They've always been Vol friendly, but I find it interesting that twice in my time the Lions have had a single position dominated by ex-Vols.

It's not going to hurt that Detroit has signed a pass rushing LB, will draft Carter out of UGA to go with Hutchinson, and there's a good defensive draft about to take place.

Hope the guys have all-pro seasons.

My wife worked at a hospital up in Michigan and got to meet Darris McCord during one of his stays later in his life. All American at Tennessee and a member of the Lions Fearsome Foursome of the late 50s. He had a family member bring in his yearbooks from when he was at UT and gave them to my wife. Pretty cool.

Great financial moves, but sadly it is the beginning of the end of their professional careers. Not sure there is a worse organization to be involved with than the Lions. I didn't look it up but pretty sure they haven't won a playoff game since the 90's and have ruined great players careers. Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders deserved better.

Edit: Also the first year Matthew Stafford was traded from there he won a Super Bowl with the Rams.

Great financial moves, but sadly it is the beginning of the end of their professional careers. Not sure there is a worse organization to be involved with than the Lions. I didn't look it up but pretty sure they haven't won a playoff game since the 90's and have ruined great players careers. Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders deserved better.

Edit: Also the first year Matthew Stafford was traded from there he won a Super Bowl with the Rams.
The roar is being restored for the 4 time world champions Detroit Lions.
They are already picked to win the NFC North.

Together again.
EA534F2A-DE6A-423F-8497-AC32BEE328D8.jpeg

As one of the old guys here I note that the Lions have signed both Cam Sutton and Emmanuel Moseley in their secondary. Back in the 60's the Lions had multiple Vols as starters especially Mike Lucci and Paul Naumoff at LB. They've always been Vol friendly, but I find it interesting that twice in my time the Lions have had a single position dominated by ex-Vols.

It's not going to hurt that Detroit has signed a pass rushing LB, will draft Carter out of UGA to go with Hutchinson, and there's a good defensive draft about to take place.

Hope the guys have all-pro seasons.
Jalen Carter out of UGA has bust written all over him based on showing up so badly out of shape for his pro workout. If you can't be motivated to prepare for that then you can't be motivated.

Herman Boom Boom Weaver. He hung em high...
My oldest brother went to school at UT during "Thunderfoot" Weaver's time with the Vols around 1967-70 as I recall. Howard Cosell gave Weaver that moniker on a MNF broadcast I believe. My brother used to watch them practice and remembered Weaver calling the punts "right" or "left" when he booted the ball and sure enough most of the time the ball would carom to match the call. Drafted in 9th round according to Wiki by Detroit. Played about 7 years for Lions then moved to Seattle. Great memory of him. According to my search he is alive and "kicking" at 74.

Reactions: WBO
My favorite player nickname was a Lion's player, Dick "Night Train" Lane. Beats the hell out of "Showtime." They were a good team in the early 60's but unfortunately so were the Browns, the Colts, and the Packers. They really did take those Thanksgiving Day games seriously.

Also Alex Karras played for them. He was out there. Along with Paul Horning, he was suspended a year for gambling. When Plimpton did Paper Lion, Karras made it clear that he didn't like it and if he got a shot he was going to put Plimpton out.

Guys like Karras and Art Donovan with the Colts If you've never heard of them, go look them up. Donovan was an incredible story teller and he played during the years when the players didn't get paid enough to live on and would work second jobs in the offseason. They would take a lot of sales jobs, especially cars. Imagine going down to the Ford dealership and having the starting LB for the Steelers be your salesman. Doug Atkins, one of the greatest DLs of all time, worked in Knoxville for a beer distributor.

Johnny Carson loved Donovan and had him on several times. You should be able to easily find clips of that. My favorite is the shower. If you find it, you will know what I mean.

WBO,I worked in the summers and winters for T.I.M.E/-D.C. trucking lines in both Knoxville and Nashville.In Nashville,I worked two summers with John Lovateer(spelling).He was the backup d-tackle to Merlin Olsen and others there in the Fearsome Foursome.They only made around 5000 a year playing and needed a spring and early summer job.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
WBO,I worked in the summers and winters for T.I.M.E/-D.C. trucking lines in both Knoxville and Nashville.In Nashville,I worked two summers with John Lovateer(spelling).He was the backup d-tackle to Merlin Olsen and others there in the Fearsome Foursome.They only made around 5000 a year playing and needed a spring and early summer job.

Would have loved to hear his stories about Deacon Jones. Those mid to late 60's Rams teams were truly great teams but they always choked in the Championship games.

Jalen Carter out of UGA has bust written all over him based on showing up so badly out of shape for his pro workout. If you can't be motivated to prepare for that then you can't be motivated.

He'll be a very productive NFL player.

They have a really good head coach now and seem to be building.

Reactions: Toucan Sam

VN Store

Back