Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I sure hope Mississippi State can hold on and get the win, but I'm pretty nervous for them right now because Creighton's about to start raining threes. If they get going it won't ake any time to reduce that deficit.

I know there are some folks who dislike the Hayes sisters, but I have no ill feelings toward them. Whatever issues they had are probably because of parental influence. They are native Tennesseans, and so I root for them. 🥹

Always an Annie fan never a fan of her mom. Love watching Annie play to this day, she is a stud. She has really done what’s best for her team this season and I admire that. Props to Purcell for taking a bad situation and really sorting things out in short order.

MSST just blasting them. Players draining shots I never heard called all season lol

I always felt like the players were there for MSST this season, they just didn't all show up consistently. But I felt like they could put it together in the tournament, and I picked them to make the Sweet 16 in my print-off household bracket!

We need a thread titled NCAA Other Games or somesuch. I didn't know what this was...

Wow: Iowa's Caitlin Clark--what a player. When's the last time we had a great guard--passer, scorer, do-it-all-guard? I'm
not sure we ever have.

Iowa = good.

Va Tech wins easily but Taylor Soule went down with a knee injury. Don't know how serious the injury was. We'll have to wait and see what the diagnosis is.

Notre Dame should be nervous.

Mississippi State has the guards to make Citron and Bransford's lives difficult. Notre Dame did get some playmaking from Westbeld but they won big today by dominating in the paint. It will be interesting to see whether they can do that against the Bulldogs.

I am puzzled by the minutes logged by LSU's starters. It makes little sense to me to pad stats in a tournament game. They have a game on Sunday, yet Reese logged 36 minutes in a game where they never had less than a double digit lead after the first quarter.

Mississippi State has the guards to make Citron and Bransford's lives difficult. Notre Dame did get some playmaking from Westbeld but they won big today by dominating in the paint. It will be interesting to see whether they can do that against the Bulldogs.

I am puzzled by the minutes logged by LSU's starters. It makes little sense to me to pad stats in a tournament game. They have a game on Sunday, yet Reese logged 36 minutes in a game where they never had less than a double digit lead after the first quarter.

LSU plays Michigan who had to lean heavily on their starters today as well. Almost an identical minutes spread for them and LSU as far as starters vs bench.

I think Kim wanted to get them in rhythm after the break. It’s not a bad idea. LSU also just isn’t that deep and she knows it. They haven’t gone very deep all season because they drop off in a hurry.

LSU plays Michigan who had to lean heavily on their starters today as well. Almost an identical minutes spread for them and LSU as far as starters vs bench.

I think Kim wanted to get them in rhythm after the break. It’s not a bad idea. LSU also just isn’t that deep and she knows it. They haven’t gone very deep all season because they drop off in a hurry.

Clearly, Mulkey knows what she is doing. It just looked curious. I can understand keeping Morris in to get her going. Right or wrong, this result makes it appear that LSU is totally reliant on Reese. Incidentally, the Wolverines know her well as they beat the Terps home-and-away last season with Reese playing in the post for Maryland.

Clearly, Mulkey knows what she is doing. It just looked curious. I can understand keeping Morris in to get her going. Right or wrong, this result makes it appear that LSU is totally reliant on Reese. Incidentally, the Wolverines know her well as they beat the Terps home-and-away last season with Reese playing in the post for Maryland.

For the most part, they are, but for the bulk of this season nobody has really been able to stop her. She’s really got a motor and gets after it for Kim.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Rayah Marshall needs to transfer. She is incredibly athletic. But she’s a Diamond in the rough. Needs a lot of polishing she isn’t going to get from Gottlieb. Never been impressed with her coaching.

But wow, what an athlete Marshall is, and at 6’4” she should be beasting on people.

Last edited:
We need a thread titled NCAA Other Games or somesuch. I didn't know what this was...

Wow: Iowa's Caitlin Clark--what a player. When's the last time we had a great guard--passer, scorer, do-it-all-guard? I'm
not sure we ever have.

Iowa = good.

That’s essentially what this thread is and why it exists. That way we don’t have numerous threads discussing other teams. That’s how it used to be and it was annoying because threads got buried quickly due to non-sense threads with only a few posts.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Overtime. Thank the officials for the extra 5 minutes. Hope SDSU can pull it out here because I hate seeing officials decide the outcome of a game so obviously. One of the worst calls I’ve seen in a long time, especially given the time, score and situation.

That scenario is the entire reason the rule was changed to make those plays reviewable. Sad.

Officials just absolutely screwed SDSU. Ball was 100% of USC. They looked at it for 5 minutes and kept the incorrect call and gave them more time. USC then hit a 3 to tie the game. 6 seconds for SDSU here but wow, what a terrible call.
Did they call a non shooting foul on the SDST player that knocked the ball loose way back by the foul line?

Normally, I would be for SDST, but if USC wins, one of my brackets is perfect for today, so far.🙂

Did they call a non shooting foul on the SDST player that knocked the ball loose way back by the foul line?

Normally, I would be for SDST, but if USC wins, one of my brackets is perfect for today, so far.🙂

No, no foul was called. She did get a hand on the ball but the USC player clearly threw it out with her right hand.

SDSU, Selland in particular, not going to be denied though. They buckled down and took it to them in OT USC was out coached by a mile in this one. They have some super athletic kids but they have no idea what they are doing on offense and they don’t rebound the ball.

VN Store

Back