Transfer wide receiver commits to Tennessee - Dont'e Thornton-

Sure any “underwhelming” WR who’s 6’4 or 6’5 with 10.29 speed.

IIRC that was Thornton’s clocked speed at Oregon. Wasn’t he the fastest guy on the team? Or at least one of the fastest?

How do our current WR’s stack up vs those measurables?
His Oregon highlights are on YouTube

I'm confused, or maybe not aware of this kid actually. But his stats was in the 366 yards receiving at 17 catches this year?? Sure, that's like 21 YPC, but it's not even 2 receptions per game. Did they not throw to him or did he drop a bunch? And we have lots of booms going off. Completely get it if this is an invesment in potential and has two seasons to shine. He's Bru McCoy size.

Reactions: bpalmer28
I'm confused, or maybe not aware of this kid actually. But his stats was in the 366 yards receiving at 17 catches this year?? Sure, that's like 21 YPC, but it's not even 2 receptions per game. Did they not throw to him or did he drop a bunch? And we have lots of booms going off. Completely get it if this is an invesment in potential and has two seasons to shine. He's Bru McCoy size.
Bru is 6'3 220
This guy is 6'5 210

Different builds and skillset

Look at Hyatt’s numbers in 2021 and 2022. I think with our offense and coaches, we are likely to see much bigger numbers if he can beat out one of our other receivers.

Potential for sure. Take guys with size and speed and see if they can do something

Bru McCoy
- USC 2020- 21 rec, 236 yds, 2 TD
- UT 2022- 52 rec, 667 yds, 4 TD

Velus Jones
- USC 4 year career stats- 58 rec, 630 yds, 4 TD
- UT 2021- 62 rec, 807 yds, 7 TD

JaVonta Payton
-career stats at MSU- 28 rec, 372 yds, 1 TD
-UT 2021- 18 rec, 413 yds, 6 TD

Heupel appears to know how to select great WR transfers and then get maximum production

Bru McCoy

Velus Jones

JaVonta Payton

Heupel appears to know how to select great WR transfers and then get maximum production
Paytons numbers are kinda the ones that stand out the best and tell a story. You might look at the 18 for 413 and be like meh... then you see the 6 TD's he had a specific role. Then the next year they basically expanded on that role to produce Hyatt.

Paytons numbers are kinda the ones that stand out the best and tell a story. You might look at the 18 for 413 and be like meh... then you see the 6 TD's he had a specific role. Then the next year they basically expanded on that role to produce Hyatt.
Not knocking on him but Payton was a one-trick pony. He was fast and long. He could have just as easily done nothing and disappeared from memory.

Bru McCoy

Velus Jones

JaVonta Payton

I think of it like picking stocks when it comes to player evaluations. I don’t think it’s something anyone can do perfectly and the best you can hope for is to be slightly above average. Heupel May (I uncapitalized that 3x and autocorrect wasn’t having it) be above average as an evaluator.

But I think it’s more a matter of scheme than evaluation. Just like the number of times Mike Leach took unknown QBs (Heupel being one of them) and turned them into elite performers

I think of it like picking stocks when it comes to player evaluations. I don’t think it’s something anyone can do perfectly and the best you can hope for is to be slightly above average. Heupel May (I uncapitalized that 3x and autocorrect wasn’t having it) be above average as an evaluator.

But I think it’s more a matter of scheme than evaluation. Just like the number of times Mike Leach took unknown QBs (Heupel being one of them) and turned them into elite performers
I think scheme enables him.

But he seems to find ways to set guys up for success within his system based on what they do well. Velus was already a great returner. So Heupel tried to get him the ball in space. Payton had great length and speed so Heupel set that up. McCoy is physical and operates well in traffic. Heupel has set him up too. I think that part and the choice of transfers are pretty elite so far... and unique.

Reactions: McDad and Vol8188
Not knocking on him but Payton was a one-trick pony. He was fast and long. He could have just as easily done nothing and disappeared from memory.
You just described Hyatt with the one-trick pony bro...they just decided to use that one trick a lot more which is exactly why I said they expanded the role. They said hey let's do what we did with Payton but in the slot. Payton (6-1 175) was a slightly bigger version of Hyatt. (6 176 but seems smaller) similar speed even (4.43 vs 4.41) the real burner we had was Jones (4.31). Both Jones and Payton were more well-rounded WR's btw as they are both special teams guys and ran more route combos. Just saying I hope Hyatt gets drafted high and gets paid but in his time at UT he only did one thing period. Maybe in the NFL he gets to show more, once he puts on some serious weight because he won't survive as a slot WR in the NFL at 176 without a scheme to get him free. I would argue that Velus Jones and especially Tillman are much better long-term pro prospects as it stands today. Then again im a forum member not an NFL scout for a reason.

He was a redshirt freshman with a few guys in front of him. Moved into a more prominent role after an injury to another WR later in the season and then really started to come alive.

He was a consensus top 150 recruit, and is lightning fast as well.

You just described Hyatt with the one-trick pony bro...they just decided to use that one trick a lot more which is exactly why I said they expanded the role. They said hey let's do what we did with Payton but in the slot. Payton (6-1 175) was a slightly bigger version of Hyatt. (6 176 but seems smaller) similar speed even (4.43 vs 4.41) the real burner we had was Jones (4.31). Both Jones and Payton were more well-rounded WR's btw as they are both special teams guys and ran more route combos. Just saying I hope Hyatt gets drafted high and gets paid but in his time at UT he only did one thing period. Maybe in the NFL he gets to show more, once he puts on some serious weight because he won't survive as a slot WR in the NFL at 176 without a scheme to get him free. I would argue that Velus Jones and especially Tillman are much better long-term pro prospects as it stands today. Then again im a forum member not an NFL scout for a reason.
Wrong on a few accounts.
Hyatt was excellent catching bombs, but it wasn't his only skill. He was very good at route running and finding open zones. He caught passes over the middle all the time. He even had 3 tds where he had to make people miss to get the endzone.

Hyatt had more 30+ yard TDs plays than Velus. So how could you say Velus was the only "real burner"?
They both were and it was because of speed, of which Velus was not at Hyatt's top end.
Their 100 meter times and their film shows this.

IMO, Heupel is seeing something more than just that. Not sure what it is but he's consistently getting production from guys who weren't all that productive elsewhere.

Payton, Hyatt, and now Thornton all have a similar quality in how they can get up on a DB quickly and then turn on their real speed.
Thornton probably also runs "only" 4.4, but then will beat many of these 4.3 guys in a 100 meter.
- or a long bomb from Milton.

But as far the choice routes go, we operate under those concepts quite a bit during the game, and when you have guys with long speed it's hard for any DB to change direction and then run with them, on a route changed on the fly.

And then you already mentioned guys like Velus who were great after the catch, so just throw it quickly to him in our super spread out field.

Heupel knows exactly how to maximize a variety of WR skillset.
I absolutely think he went after Thornton because of his long speed, and athleticsim.
It brings a whole other dimension to his offense, that he's NOW accustomed to using.
He didnt have deep threats like Payton and Hyatt at UCF or Mizzou

Wrong on a few accounts.
Hyatt was excellent catching bombs, but it wasn't his only skill. He was very good at route running and finding open zones. He caught passes over the middle all the time. He even had 3 tds where he had to make people miss to get the endzone.

Hyatt had more 30+ yard TDs plays than Velus. So how could you say Velus was the only "real burner"?
They both were and it was because of speed, of which Velus was not at Hyatt's top end.
Their 100 meter times and their film shows this.
That is not correct. they sometimes ran him on a post out of a stack so he couldn't get jammed... but other than that he ran go routes and an occasional curl. He got open mostly because of the scheme, not route running. This is not saying he cannot run routes or is a bad route runner but in this offense its, not thing he did. the main reason is simple he is too small without scheme he would have gotten jammed off the line every snap. Most of his catches literally came on 1-2 receiver routes where the guys on the other side of the feild aren't even running routes. this means the scheme was set up to get them free. A lot of his TDs were based on single WR routes where he was literally the only throwing option. Options were throw it to him, run for your life or throw it away. There was an actual interview of Hyatt himself of his 5 TD's vs Bama where he broke it down in his own words. I am not saying he is not talented but find tape of him beating someone with a double move or head up beating a guy in man coverage.. it's not there. That is route running Tillman does it so did Bru 90% of the time if Hyatt got a catch he was 5 yards away from the best defender and it was him splitting a zone coverage. Show me one play where he beat man coverage straight off the line.. it may have happened but I don't remember it and I watched every game we played from start to finish and most of them 2-3 times. Didnt get to make any game in person last season but I'm going to the spring game and gonna try to catch a few home games this season.

Reactions: Helton1
There is this thing that happens and it's a lot more common now where people overly polarize things. you like someone so they can do no wrong and are the best at everything or you dislike them and they are always terrible. I feel like this is a case like that.. Hyatt had one of the great college football seasons for a WR or any position and deserves all the accolades and everything that comes with that. He is an extremely talented WR. there is no way he pulls off a season like that if he is not. but he is hyper-specialized and because of his size can play a very limited role in most offenses. Can he grow? Sure but there is a reason that before this season his stats were about 20 catches for 250 yards and 2 td's per season. He went from averaging 12 ypc on 41 catches to 19per on 67. you could see it as the season went on Look at the Pitt game they tried to use him like Velus there he had 11 catches for 73 yards. Then by the Bama game they figured out bombs were his thing. He is not gonna be someone you throw slants he is a top of the route tree guy period. 5-9 is his thing he aint running 1-4 and crossers unless its a decoy. He'd get jammed and murdered.

That is not correct. they sometimes ran him on a post out of a stack so he couldn't get jammed... but other than that he ran go routes and an occasional curl. He got open mostly because of the scheme, not route running. This is not saying he cannot run routes or is a bad route runner but in this offense its, not thing he did. the main reason is simple he is too small without scheme he would have gotten jammed off the line every snap. Most of his catches literally came on 1-2 receiver routes where the guys on the other side of the feild aren't even running routes. this means the scheme was set up to get them free. A lot of his TDs were based on single WR routes where he was literally the only throwing option. Options were throw it to him, run for your life or throw it away. There was an actual interview of Hyatt himself of his 5 TD's vs Bama where he broke it down in his own words. I am not saying he is not talented but find tape of him beating someone with a double move or head up beating a guy in man coverage.. it's not there. That is route running Tillman does it so did Bru 90% of the time if Hyatt got a catch he was 5 yards away from the best defender and it was him splitting a zone coverage. Show me one play where he beat man coverage straight off the line.. it may have happened but I don't remember it and I watched every game we played from start to finish and most of them 2-3 times. Didnt get to make any game in person last season but I'm going to the spring game and gonna try to catch a few home games this season.

The first 4 plays in this video are Hyatt beating guys in man coverage. :rolleyes:

The first 4 plays in this video are Hyatt beating guys in man coverage. :rolleyes:

This is exactly why I said off the line..also those plays are from 2021.....like i said they changed how they used him after the Pitt game this year. I clearly stated they were trying to use him as a regular slot WR...that all changed after the Pitt game. Lastly, I don't see a single play where he beat a guy off the line. he was getting picked up by the safety (well the safety was failing) and splitting zones in every single play.

Hyatt’s first 2 years he had struggles. He really worked on catching the football during the offseason after his Sophmore season and dedicated to improving and he did. The point is he improved greatly from when he arrived till he was finished his last year. GBO

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Agree about Hyatt's weight. However, he was a better route runner. They did throw him screens and let him get short yardage. He worked the middle of the field. He ran short outs and slants. Similar maybe but Hyatt was a much better version.

Never been so psyched for a transfer. All based on my perception of highlight films after being initially meh when his name was mentioned in transfer rumors. I predict he brings a new dimension in this offense. Save your time trying to convince me otherwise pre-results on the field.

VN Store

Back