Vols offense looked at as gimmick

As long as “gimmicks” get us 50 points a game I’m all for it 🙂

Hate to tell those other fanbases, but just wait until we get an elite back or two. With a quality OL that’ll take this offense to a whole other level.
Yeah our rushing stats are just incredible with above average at best SEC backs

It’s all relative imo. The “forward pass” was most likely thought of as a gimmick generations ago.

Not in order but the game changed with: the “shotgun” formation, “no huddle” offense, “west coast”, run and shoot, “four wide receivers,” etc.

As others have posted, call it what you want as long as we win.

The funniest thing was Saban complaining when we lined up in the I formation this year and his players didn't know what to do. I guess the I formation is a gimmick too.

Can someone please explain how an offense that’s designed to get its playmakers open is a gimmicky offense? Now if we are talking about the NFL? Fine. Heupels offense would be dead in the water. But in college? I guess it’s so gimmicky that Clemson wants to emulate it 😂😂😂😂😂

They said that when people started using the shotgun formation in football or when people started embracing the 3 point line in bball. So we’ll see.

I'm a heck of a lot more concerned about the steps GIMMICKS our opponents have used to STOP our offense. Most notably the blatantly obvious fake "injuries" that have been used with ZERO repercussions.

Reactions: LordBolton
casablanca-shocked.gif

Why oh why would our opponents and naysayers accuse UT Football of we use gimmicks to win? Oh the humanity!

If you're a Tennessee Vols fan who's spent even a little bit of time on social media in the last six months, you've likely seen plenty of opposing fan bases throwing shade at Josh Heupel's offense.
For reasons I don't understand, there's a narrative that Tennessee's offense just throws the ball deep down the field and does little else. Vols fans know that's nowhere close to being the case.

https://atozsports.com/nashville/tennessee-vols-news-false-heupel-ut-football

This is hilarious to me…is it gimmicky? I don’t know…I don’t think so…but even if it is then who cares? Is your team stopping it? If your team is UGA then yes…for now…otherwise the answer is absolutely not…

They can call it a gimmick all day while we score TD after TD on them…yep, there goes another one

Last edited:
I thought this play was gimmicky, causing confusion on our defense / Kiffin, seemingly, sending in the 11th man just before the snap (bama QB and players are not counting men on field, no bama player is concerned about having only 10 players only) -- it worked

Last edited:
The term “Gimmicky” is a lazy or ignorant person’s way of saying two things:

1. They don’t understand how the OC and Qb are picking on the 1v1 matchups, whether it’s run or pass.
2. They don’t know how to stop it.

Great to know opponents just want UT to run the ball 3 times and punt every possession.....okay.....got it....

And I think this is the first time in a while that you could honestly make all of those claims about the team.
If you are like me, you wore your colors and cheered on Tennessee’s athletes during the tenures of Dools, Butch, and Cornbread. You waited out the dysfunctional follies of less than adept administrations with the fervent hope that the University would right itself and be worthy of alumni’s loyalty and pride. Yes, the current leadership appears competent. White is an excellent AD. Heupel is the right person at the right time to rebuild Tennessee’s football program. Pundits will blather. Naysayers are ever present. Drops of water in the greater river. GBO.

Preemptively, yes, I’ve been alive for an appreciable time (I played with Dirt before she sprouted grass and was shipped off to boarding school by Mother Nature.). It does provide perspective. No, I am not a dotard, whippersnappers.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
I could care less what anyone thinks about our offense under Heupel. He's winning at this point and that's what is important to me. The last understanding I had neither the SEC nor the NCAA awards any form of style points based on the offensive sets you run.

The only points that matters are the ones on the scoreboard at the end of the game. Heupel has already put down Bama and will produce a win over UGA soon imo.

IMO the QB situation @ both teams will tell the story' no matter what system these teams run
If Bama & UGA new QBs shines and is very good they win their deeper top to bottom.
If Bama & UGA new QBs falters and Milton is as good as Clemson game UT wins both
If all 3 QBs shine all will be close games but I think UT will lose both in close games.

IMO the QB situation @ both teams will tell the story' no matter what system these teams run
If Bama & UGA new QBs shines and is very good they win their deeper top to bottom.
If Bama & UGA new QBs falters and Milton is as good as Clemson game UT wins both
If all 3 QBs shine all will be close games but I think UT will lose both in close games.
We've also got to figure out how to score on UGA. They haven't exactly needed to put up alot of points the last 2 years to beat us. We need to figure that out to put pressure on their new QB.

Whatever. My cracked crystal ball and my dog agree that 2023 will see us being more of a rushing team. The crystal ball only showed me rotating running backs surveying and marking off chunks of real estate. I asked the dog if he agreed. He said he did. I asked why are we giving up our passing game. According to the dog, we're not. He said we have teams so leery of the pass, especially with Javelin Joe doing deep penetration air strikes, they're leaving major gaps up front. Thus, the RBs will be a major feature of the 2023 offense. When the dog and the ball agree, I tend to believe them.

It could be. And certainly has aspects of a gimmicky style. But I don’t care. Just win. Win with 6 guys who get drafted. Win with 0 guys getting drafted. Just win.
At one point the winged T, wishbone and west coast offense were gimmicks. Just win then people copy you and gimmick becomes the topic of HS coaching clinics around the country

Reactions: GAVol
If my memory serves me correctly, we followed the rules of football. We didn't use 12 men, we didn't use illegal formations. We followed the rules and when we didn't, we were penalized. This is the same as Bama complaining about the refs being partial last year. 'If you can't beat a team, make up reasons to help your cause'.

We've also got to figure out how to score on UGA. They haven't exactly needed to put up alot of points the last 2 years to beat us. We need to figure that out to put pressure on their new QB.
Yep seems like we struggle against teams stacked 2 deep with nfl talent with a good D scheme!

Reactions: SpookyAction
If you're a Tennessee Vols fan who's spent even a little bit of time on social media in the last six months, you've likely seen plenty of opposing fan bases throwing shade at Josh Heupel's offense.
For reasons I don't understand, there's a narrative that Tennessee's offense just throws the ball deep down the field and does little else. Vols fans know that's nowhere close to being the case.

https://atozsports.com/nashville/tennessee-vols-news-false-heupel-ut-football
Here are a few other things that were called gimmicks:

Pet Rock
Chia Pet
Hooters
Yellow Smiley Face
Magic Eight Ball
Hula Hoop
Democracy
The Forward Pass
The Wheel

CJH's offense is a gimmick? I can see it being just as successful as others I mentioned.

GO VOLS!

Reactions: Titan&Volfan4life
If you are like me, you wore your colors and cheered on Tennessee’s athletes during the tenures of Dools, Butch, and Cornbread. You waited out the dysfunctional follies of less than adept administrations with the fervent hope that the University would right itself and be worthy of alumni’s loyalty and pride. Yes, the current leadership appears competent. White is an excellent AD. Heupel is the right person at the right time to rebuild Tennessee’s football program. Pundits will blather. Naysayers are ever present. Drops of water in the greater river. GBO.
I wasn't born to it. I am not an alum. But I've been a UT fan for more than 30 years now. I like much of my hometown became UT fans when Heath Shuler signed with the Vols. His family and mine were close as neighbors, friends, church members, team mates, coaches, etc. His uncle coached me in baseball. My dad coached him in Little League. His cousin and my brother were best buds. On and on.....

So it was pretty natural for me to become a Vol fan. The Vols signed a player and got his community and "family" for life for the most part. I've moved a lot following my career. I believe we were in Seattle for most of Heath's time at UT. So being a Vol fan was kind of like taking a piece of home with me.

No less a fan. Just a different route.

VN Store

Back