Pac 12/Big 12 Merger?

To me, a piece of college football died when Oklahoma and Nebraska stopped playing every year. That was a Thanksgiving weekend must see game for decades.
I remember watching that game for the first time and actually caring when Heupel was QB. Everyone made such a big deal about that game because OU was finally good again and it might’ve been 1 vs 2 or a top 5 matchup. I think the game is changing in a lot of good ways, but I think it can change while maintaining the uniqueness of what makes college football great.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I get it, but I guess if they think there’s value you have to take them. I think it would be great if Nebraska went back too, but of course they never would with all of the $ in the B1G. Nebraska in the B1G and Colorado in the PAC 12 never seemed right . I hate that we’re getting away or have gotten away from regional rivalries.
It's wild to me that the game is still as regional as it is. Since the conferences were formed, professional sports have come on the scene (and their more national feel) and travel is much easier. The reason for them to exist, or at least exist in their current form, is less compelling than in the past.

It's wild to me that the game is still as regional as it is. Since the conferences were formed, professional sports have come on the scene (and their more national feel) and travel is much easier. The reason for them to exist, or at least exist in their current form, is less compelling than in the past.
I agree . I think it’s kind of a double edged sword. I want the game to be more national in some ways. For example, in a CFP model I want as many on campus games as possible. I’m also an advocate for a college football czar that oversees the entirety of the Power Football conferences (remains to be seen how many that is). I want scheduling consistency, scholarship consistency, practice hours,etc…I realize that’s a lot of moving parts, but I think it can be done . I also am in favor of regional common sense conferences. I don’t necessarily agree that UCLA should be traveling to College Park for a conference game. The same way I never understood the 49ers and Falcons being in the same NFC division . That part of me is old fashioned I guess.

I agree . I think it’s kind of a double edged sword. I want the game to be more national in some ways. For example, in a CFP model I want as many on campus games as possible. I’m also an advocate for a college football czar that oversees the entirety of the Power Football conferences (remains to be seen how many that is). I want scheduling consistency, scholarship consistency, practice hours,etc…I realize that’s a lot of moving parts, but I think it can be done . I also am in favor of regional common sense conferences. I don’t necessarily agree that UCLA should be traveling to College Park for a conference game. The same way I never understood the 49ers and Falcons being in the same NFC division . That part of me is old fashioned I guess.
Not sure how I feel about a college football czar. I know the decentralized nature of college sports can be odd and frustrating, but is there a professional sports commissioner, except maybe Adam Silver, who anybody thinks does a remotely good job? Selig/Manfred/Bettman/Goodell are despised by virtually every fan of those sports. A CFB czar would probably end up making a bunch of questionable decisions being one of the most vilified figures in sports, someone who you could project/blame all the sport's problems on.

I am old fashioned in that I would like to see certain rivalries preserved. So far at least, it seems like with all the conference realignment most of them are. UCLA/Maryland being a conference game is weird, but I can't say I'm necessarily against it. I am against any kind of conference model that would end a bunch of traditional rivalry games though.

I think Kliavkoff has botched this whole thing.He’s misled the schools into thinking they had a better deal going than they actually did. They’re going to end up having their entire conference streaming on Amazon or Apple TV.

About to see the disintegration of the PAC 12? Would the AZ schools, Oregon & Washington work for SEC or does the SEC wait on Clemson, FSU, Miami and UNC?

And how small is the chance Notre Dame joins the SEC?

About to see the disintegration of the PAC 12? Would the AZ schools, Oregon & Washington work for SEC or does the SEC wait on Clemson, FSU, Miami and UNC?

And how small is the chance Notre Dame joins the SEC?

Arizona has been rumored to the Big 12 for a while, with Colorado the Big 12 is at 13 schools for 2024. It wouldn't be surprising to see them add Arizona in the next couple months.

The Big 10 already had discussions about Oregon and Washington. Both will probably end up there along with Stanford and 1 other school (maybe Utah?, Better athletic teams than Cal right now plus brings the Salt Lake market and solid academics) to get the Big 10 to 20.

And just like that, the PAC 12 has ceased to exist. I am not a fan of conference realignment for traditional reasons,but at this point Washington and Oregon have to be getting ready to head to greener pastures.
I agree. They don’t have a choice. They’re not going to stick around San Diego St or UNLV or Pepperdine to join.

Are you on any UNC boards ? What’s the word around there?

I agree. They don’t have a choice. They’re not going to stick around San Diego St or UNLV or Pepperdine to join.

Are you on any UNC boards ? What’s the word around there?

I lurk around IC quite a bit. Most of what I've heard is about Florida St. wanting to leave the ACC,and how UNC is the perfect fit for the SEC,and that the ACC is going to go to the wayside like the PAC 12 very soon. Not a lot on the positive side.

VN Store

Back