Saban is against the 2 minute offense

Well, he didn't say that exactly, but if you believe that a defense should be allowed to substitute, for more than 7 seconds, then you can't make an exception at the end of the game - you know with "player safety" the concern.

Nick Saban Wants Rule Change That Offsets High Tempo Offenses | Rocky Top Insider

“The way it used to be, the [official] would spot the ball and you couldn’t snap the ball [immediately],” Saban told Dellenger. “When a team can snap the ball within seven seconds of the [play] clock, is that really good for player safety? I’m just asking the question. When you are on the defensive side, you can’t even change personnel.”
I bet he would be against the forward pass when it became the rage.

Anything Saban doesn't like in FB means its good for everybody else. He tried this same thing couple of yrs ago using the same excuse that its a safety issue for D lineman. Course apparently O lineman getting tired does not seem to be an issue with Nick because he doesn't substitute for O lineman.

His whiny BS is so transparent its ridiculous.

Saban and the rest of college football have to learn how to defend the Heupel offense! Tempo is only a part of it! A big part of the Heupel offense is to keep the defense on the field without substitutions and adjustments! At the same time, Heupel is looking for weaknesses and ways to exploit those weaknesses. His offense puts a set on the field that can do it all and its nearly impossible for the defense to keep up and cover all the bases! Nicki gave up 28 points with 11 minutes to go in the second quarter. That game was closer at the end only because of our error that led to their scoop and score! No wonder Nicki doesn't like it! How many times has he given up 51 lately?

He had no defensive answer for Tennessee's offense. Maybe the game has moved past him.
The so called guru tried everything on that day and had no answer. So he proposes and favors rules to limit others when he can't figure **** out. He is no better than anyone else coach wise - he has just always had the best players money can buy and NIL is leveling playing field (bitched about that), doesn't like his three permanent opponents (bitched about that), and now bitching about fast offenses - bitching about that. Ya need to retire nick.

Can’t change things for a guy that’s 71..

Also another reason there will be no Permanent matchups starting next year. It will be 3-4 year matchups tops. Too many things change

Anything Saban doesn't like in FB means its good for everybody else. He tried this same thing couple of yrs ago using the same excuse that its a safety issue for D lineman. Course apparently O lineman getting tired does not seem to be an issue with Nick because he doesn't substitute for O lineman.

His whiny BS is so transparent its ridiculous.
Efff him!!!

Reactions: LibertyVol
old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

Saban and the rest of college football have to learn how to defend the Heupel offense! Tempo is only a part of it! A big part of the Heupel offense is to keep the defense on the field without substitutions and adjustments! At the same time, Heupel is looking for weaknesses and ways to exploit those weaknesses. His offense puts a set on the field that can do it all and its nearly impossible for the defense to keep up and cover all the bases! Nicki gave up 28 points with 11 minutes to go in the second quarter. That game was closer at the end only because of our error that led to their scoop and score! No wonder Nicki doesn't like it! How many times has he given up 51 lately?
Heup is our Patton. 61DB1197-0C9A-4C2B-9355-BEC88A80ED23.jpeg

George got that from Napoleon, who said it even more succinctly: "Audacity, audacity, always audacity!"*

And Patton is a good fighter, but Napoleon was probably the greatest military leader in history. Better than Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, any of them. The dude ran around whupping Europeans' butts for fifteen years. And when they finally all ganged up on him together, surrounded him like 27 scared dudes with spears trying to bring down a Bengal tiger, captured him and imprisoned him on an island in the middle of the Mediterranean, he said screw that, TALKED HIS PRISON GUARDS ALL INTO FOLLOWING HIM, went back and beat on them some more.

Lol, George is good. Bonaparte was the bomb.

Heupel is our Napoleon. Except we'll hopefully get a lot more than 15 years out of Josh.

Go Vols!

* In his native tongue: "L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

George got that from Napoleon, who said it even more succinctly: "Audacity, audacity, always audacity!"*

And Patton is a good fighter, but Napoleon was probably the greatest military leader in history. Better than Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, any of them. The dude ran around whupping Europeans' butts for fifteen years. And when they finally all ganged up on him together, surrounded him like 27 scared dudes with spears trying to bring down a Bengal tiger, captured him and imprisoned him on an island in the middle of the Mediterranean, he said screw that, TALKED HIS PRISON GUARDS ALL INTO FOLLOWING HIM, went back and beat on them some more.

Lol, George is good. Bonaparte was the bomb.

Heupel is our Napoleon. Except we'll hopefully get a lot more than 15 years out of Josh.

Go Vols!

* In his native tongue: "L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"
I thought that quote originated with Frederick the Great. Oh well, bottom line is all of the best commanders have that mindset.
I would make one clarification to the Napoleon legend as you shared it. IMO it wasn’t the 27 nation coalition against him that was ultimately to blame for his downfall. It was the boneheaded decision to invade Russia that started the path to Waterloo. Same darn mistake Charles XII of Sweden and Peter the Great made. There would have not been a coalition able to unseat Napoleon from the continent if he didn’t leave 90% of the Grande Armee frozen alongside the road back from Moscow

I thought that quote originated with Frederick the Great. Oh well, bottom line is all of the best commanders have that mindset.
I would make one clarification to the Napoleon legend as you shared it. IMO it wasn’t the 27 nation coalition against him that was ultimately to blame for his downfall. It was the boneheaded decision to invade Russia that started the path to Waterloo. Same darn mistake Charles XII of Sweden and Peter the Great made. There would have not been a coalition able to unseat Napoleon from the continent if he didn’t leave 90% of the Grande Armee frozen alongside the road back from Moscow

Heh, yeah, everyone who ever listened to Vissini knows you never get involved in a land war in Asia. :)

When I was a lieutenant, I read a biography of Napoleon. It quoted him as saying "l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace" to one of his field generals, maybe his brother-in-law. But these days, a quick search of the interwebz reveals that a lawyer and revolutionary named Georges Jacques Danton said something very similar during the French Revolution: "L'audace, et encore l'audace, et toujours l'audace," (Audacity, and again audacity, and always audacity).

And the revolution came BEFORE Napoleon's rise to power. In fact, kind of precipitated it.

So seems one of two things happened here: the biography I read was incorrect (but it was a scholarly work, so I kinda doubt that), or Napoleon borrowed it from Danton.* So that Patton could borrow it from him a century and a half later. Heh.

Go Vols!

* they quite possibly knew one another.

Last edited:
Reactions: StarRaider
Heh, yeah, everyone who ever listened to Vissini knows you never get involved in a land war in Asia. :)

When I was a lieutenant, I read a biography of Napoleon. It quoted him as saying "l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace" to one of his field generals, maybe his brother-in-law. But these days, a quick search of the interwebz reveals that a lawyer and revolutionary named Georges Jacques Danton said something very similar during the French Revolution: "L'audace, et encore l'audace, et toujours l'audace," (Audacity, and again audacity, and always audacity).

And the revolution came BEFORE Napoleon's rise to power. In fact, kind of precipitated it.

So seems one of two things happened here: the biography I read was incorrect (but it was a scholarly work, so I kinda doubt that), or Napoleon borrowed it from Danton.* So that Patton could borrow it from him a century and a half later. Heh.

Go Vols!

* they quite possibly knew one another.
Patton probably believed he knew Napoleon too 😉

Well, he didn't say that exactly, but if you believe that a defense should be allowed to substitute, for more than 7 seconds, then you can't make an exception at the end of the game - you know with "player safety" the concern.

Nick Saban Wants Rule Change That Offsets High Tempo Offenses | Rocky Top Insider

“The way it used to be, the [official] would spot the ball and you couldn’t snap the ball [immediately],” Saban told Dellenger. “When a team can snap the ball within seven seconds of the [play] clock, is that really good for player safety? I’m just asking the question. When you are on the defensive side, you can’t even change personnel.”
Sounds like he is more worried about his paycheck safety than player safety.

It goes to the old coaching adage that "whoever has the chalk last, wins". He wants time to be able to substitute and get lined up perfectly against every offensive play. This is where his advantage lies. Up-tempo negates that advantage and he knows it. He's just trying to hang on long enough to make one more run at a title before retiring in my opinion.

Reactions: Dadof2Vols
It goes to the old coaching adage that "whoever has the chalk last, wins". He wants time to be able to substitute and get lined up perfectly against every offensive play. This is where his advantage lies. Up-tempo negates that advantage and he knows it. He's just trying to hang on long enough to make one more run at a title before retiring in my opinion.
Let’s keep him coaching till 90 then 😉

It’s not just the up tempo that caused confusion for Bama, it’s also the wide splits, route tree concepts, and the efficiency we run the offense at. He needs to get used to it, Heupel has done it everywhere he’s been.

Suck Faban - he'll retire in 15 or 20 years, and then we wont have to listen to his whinnie arse anymore.

Reactions: Jax_Vol

VN Store

Back