VN's very own political meme thread...

It's standard time that sucks.
No no no. Standard time is based on the position of the sun. The definition of noon is the sun being near its zenith with equally divided morning and afternoon. Standard time tries to meet this goal, at least for the center of a time zone. Daylight Saving Time is an artificial crutch that consisted solely of getting up an hour early everyday to give the illusion of an extra hour of daylight in the evening. As much as possible, clock time and solar time should be in agreement.
If you really want a fascinating story, reading about the history of the determination of longitude and the history of railroad timekeeping and the creation of time zones is a worthy read.

I would think that someone that crosses time zones on a regular basis wouldn't have a clue what time zone he was in, much less daylight savings or standard time?
I grew up about 10 miles from the Central/Eastern dividing line. I spent years living in Central and working in Eastern. It kept one on their toes. My solution was to use a hybrid watch with hands on central and digital numbers reporting Eastern. Working in IT today, I use a special GMT watch with a dedicated 24 hour inner Dial and hand to let me easily see GMT which my cloud servers use

mail

VN Store

Back