98 Vols vs Georgia bulldogs 2022

Voldog1998

Who do you think wins? I think the 98 team beats their 22 national title team. Tee is better than Stetson plus I’d take Peerless Price over any of the WR’s on Georgia. I think our RB’s our better too. Travis Stephens, Travis Henry. Shawn Bryson and Jamal Lewis need I say more and Al Wilson simply put our 98 team had more impact players and would beat Georgia’s most recent national title team.

Last edited:
We would have had the better RBs and WRs. UGA would have had the better QB and TEs. Defensively? Unpopular opinion here but I think it’s closer than some think. Our 98 defense was nasty. And also you have to take into account the eras and the rules. In 98, you could still play real football.

If we are talking about the 98 rules, then I think we could win. With the modern rules? UGA wins.

We would have had the better RBs and WRs. UGA would have had the better QB and TEs. Defensively? Unpopular opinion here but I think it’s closer than some think. Our 98 defense was nasty. And also you have to take into account the eras and the rules. In 98, you could still play real football.

If we are talking about the 98 rules, then I think we could win. With the modern rules? UGA wins.
Very true. The 98 team had great depth and as many 4 and 5 stars as Georgia at some positions. I think our D would slow down Brock Bowers and Washington and Mcconkey but your right the game has changed alot since 1998.

Reactions: LittleVol
It would be a tight game in the teens to twenties. It would come down to who made mistakes and took advantage of special teams. Offensively, neither team was that great. They both were complementary of the defense and could hit the big play after running the ball.
Unpopular opinion sure, but I have rewatched the whole season and Tee is the offense’s weak point. He got hot a few games, but he never took any games over. He was by all accounts a great leader and I appreciate his accomplishments. We had a lot of close games because he missed opportunities to blow games open.

We would maybe hurt Stetson Bennett and if we did that we win.

Tee against that defense? Ehhh i don't think it would work out too well..
Yeah. I think that's the difference.

And I'm always defending Tee Martin as our national Championship QB. But that UGA defense in my opinion was better than that 1998 FSU #1 ranked defense that we overcame.

It's not just player ranking, but scheme vs scheme. And coaching. Their big athletic TEs would have given our speedy defense hell. Travis Minor had a big night against our defense, and UGAs backfield in 2022 was much more talented. Not to mention Bennett being a run threat.

Peerless and Travis Stephens, with Bryson out of the backfield would have kept things interesting for a while. But Bennett, those RBs and TEs would would have had more success against the Al Wilson led defense.
And UGAs defense would have been harder for Tee do deal with imo 😕

It would be a tight game in the teens to twenties. It would come down to who made mistakes and took advantage of special teams. Offensively, neither team was that great. They both were complementary of the defense and could hit the big play after running the ball.
Unpopular opinion sure, but I have rewatched the whole season and Tee is the offense’s weak point. He got hot a few games, but he never took any games over. He was by all accounts a great leader and I appreciate his accomplishments. We had a lot of close games because he missed opportunities to blow games open.

You know the biG thing that I'm perhaps underselling is the 1998 team's will and desire to find a way WIN.

In my mind it's not a good match up for the 98 Vols. But...that never mattered to them that year. They won every single game and not always the same way.

You know the biG thing that I'm perhaps underselling is the 1998 team's will and desire to find a way WIN.

In my mind it's not a good match up for the 98 Vols. But...that never mattered to them that year. They won every single game and not always the same way.
Absolutely that 98 team was not going to be denied no matter who they played.

I’m curious of the 14 SEC national champions we won our last national title, Where would you rank the 98 Vols at ?

I’m curious of the 14 SEC national champions we won our last national title, Where would you rank the 98 Vols at ?

2019 LSU
2022 UGA
2008 Florida
1998 Tennessee
2011 Alabama
2012 Alabama
2010 Auburn
2006 Florida
2003 LSU
2021 UGA

Reactions: Voldog1998
2019 LSU
2022 UGA
2008 Florida
1998 Tennessee
2011 Alabama
2012 Alabama
2010 Auburn
2006 Florida
2003 LSU
2021 UGA
Sounds about right. I saw a ranking a couple of years back of the SEC national champs since 1990 and we were dead last. I disagree with that I think we would beat the 2009 Bama team and the 2006 Florida team and 2003 LSU team. We would beat the 2017 and 2015 Bama teams too imo

It would be a very low scoring game. UGA isn’t scoring much on our defense and we aren’t scoring much on their defense.
I think we would win with a grinding running attack and PA pass.
Bowers would give our LBs a headache.

Excuse me for saying this. But there is something really sad about this whole exercise. This year's NC v one from the 20th century. GA supporters should be along soon to explain this. Remember how much mileage we used to get out of "since 1980"?

As far as the answer to the Q. Best way would be to compare O rank, D rank, ST ranks among their peers of each team, the rate and value each to see who was higher. That's the only way to nullify difference in eras in my mind.

Our 98 team is middle of the road among SEC Natl Champs.
Tee's abilities would not shine against the speed UGA has displayed the the last 2 seasons.
The 98 team would beat some of Saban's early championship teams 2010s and the 2003 LSU and 2010 Auburn (probably), but that is it.
I think the defense UGA had in 2021 was otherworldly. Our offense was too vanilla to push it, but I also think our OLine was something that also is rare in the game today. Those boys brought the pain.
Might have been interesting.

Reactions: 08Vol
I think one good lick from Al, and Bennet would be bent. Then, it would be a different ball game.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
I discussed 2001 Miami vs. modern teams in another thread on another board and I will say this now, teams from today would smash teams from that era. Too much has changed from the game. 2022 Georgia has a defense geared to combat a variety of different offenses that were not even invented in 1998 and the Georgia offense would have plays and tactics that 1998 Tennessee has never seen.

Athletes also continue to get bigger and faster.

I don't think it would be close, 2022 Georgia in a blowout.

Last edited:
Excuse me for saying this. But there is something really sad about this whole exercise. This year's NC v one from the 20th century. GA supporters should be along soon to explain this. Remember how much mileage we used to get out of "since 1980"?

As far as the answer to the Q. Best way would be to compare O rank, D rank, ST ranks among their peers of each team, the rate and value each to see who was higher. That's the only way to nullify difference in eras in my mind.

Sadly, they don't even need to. We have enough VolDawgs in here who defend uga vigorously at any perceived slight or inference that uga isn't the bestest thing ever in the history of bestest things.

Who do you think wins? I think the 98 team beats their 22 national title team. Tee is better than Stetson plus I’d take Peerless Price over any of the WR’s on Georgia. I think our RB’s our better too. Travis Stephens, Travis Henry. Shawn Bryson and Jamal Lewis need I say more and Al Wilson simply put our 98 team had more impact players and would beat Georgia’s most recent national title team.
Vols 17-14

The national title game against FSU is probably an accurate indicator of how a game between 98 Tennessee and 22 Georgia would go.

That Seminole team and 22 Georgia are very similar. It's amazing to look back and see how many players from that UT-FSU game had long NFL careers.

Vols win it, of course... in a sloppy-looking slugfest with a lot of penalties & turnovers. Great athletes on D create false starts, holding calls, fumbles and picks. It would probably be a frustrating game to watch

I think the 2001 Tennessee team would've beaten UGA's team this year no question about it....We were loaded that year.

VN Store

Back