Observations from courtside at SEC championship game

Majac

As a biased observer, it was obvious to me that the officials were not calling the game fairly. With this in mind, I saw something that was a bit strange and curious. Somewhere late in the third quarter there was a timeout. The lead official went to the scorer's table and put on a headset apparently talking to someone. She then went to the other officials and had a lengthy conversation. I told my wife to watch our next play, because I believed the officials were going to call a weak foul against SC, and they did, eliciting a loud chorus of boos from the SC fans. I am real curious to whom the lead official was talking on the headphone, and what was said. Just my observation and opinions.

Last edited:
mulder-and-scully-scully.gif

Nothing nefarious here. I was sitting on the fourth row to the left of the TV announcers on the opposite side of the court and the supervisor of officials was sitting on the second row of the press section in front of us. She was constantly reviewing plays on a her laptop and making notes in a spiral notebook. She had a headset and was the person that the officials talked with during reviews.

I was disappointed to see the crew that walked on the court Sunday. I've seen them many times and were not impressed. They're just not very good - probably not biased, even though great teams seem to get more calls in these kind of games.

Just thank your lucky stars that we had Dee Kantner on Saturday. Those clowns would have never called the offensive foul on Angel Reese that sealed the win for us against LSU.

Nothing nefarious here. I was sitting on the fourth row to the left of the TV announcers on the opposite side of the court and the supervisor of officials was sitting on the second row of the press section in front of us. She was constantly reviewing plays on a her laptop and making notes in a spiral notebook. She had a headset and was the person that the officials talked with during reviews.

I was disappointed to see the crew that walked on the court Sunday. I've seen them many times and were not impressed. They're just not very good - probably not biased, even though great teams seem to get more calls in these kind of games.

Just thank your lucky stars that we had Dee Kantner on Saturday. Those clowns would have never called the offensive foul on Angel Reese that sealed the win for us against LSU.

Yep. Dee is a great official. She is consistent and you know what you’re getting with her. I don’t always like her calls but she’s very much by the book and professional.

I actually don’t think she and Kellie are particularly fond of each other but she’s able to separate that from calling the game. I have seen them get in a couple spats the last few seasons.

As a biased observer, it was obvious to me that the officials were not calling the game fairly. With this in mind, I saw something that was a bit strange and curious. Somewhere late in the third quarter there was a timeout. The lead official went to the scorer's table and put on a headset apparently talking to someone. She then went to the other officials and had a lengthy conversation. I told my wife to watch our next play, because I believed the officials were going to call a weak foul against SC, and they did, eliciting a loud chorus of boos from the SC fans. I am real curious to whom the lead official was talking to on the headphone, and what was said. Just my observation and opinions.
I noticed the same things. There seems to be a target on Horston and Jackson. Horston is not getting calls

It was going to take a perfect game for us to win. Like some of the players that got open threes making them. I do think they could've called a few fouls on SC on some of the Rickea inside shots, but we needed to shoot better to win this game is what it came down to. We actually played them even on the boards to the last couple of minutes and turnovers were at 11 which is totally acceptable for us. We couldn't guard Cardoso without fouling her. Thus 10 more free throws for them.

Not that I think it really would’ve mattered, but I knew it wasn’t going to be a fair called game when the officials ignored a BLATANT push in the back of Jordan Horston on her shot at the end of the 1st quarter.

I wonder if these were the same officials that ignored the BLATANT push in the back by Boston at the end of the Ole Miss game that went into OT during the regular season. Not that it’ll matter in the grand scheme of things because I definitely think they’re winning the NC this year, but South Carolina should really have 1 loss.

As a biased observer, it was obvious to me that the officials were not calling the game fairly. With this in mind, I saw something that was a bit strange and curious. Somewhere late in the third quarter there was a timeout. The lead official went to the scorer's table and put on a headset apparently talking to someone. She then went to the other officials and had a lengthy conversation. I told my wife to watch our next play, because I believed the officials were going to call a weak foul against SC, and they did, eliciting a loud chorus of boos from the SC fans. I am real curious to whom the lead official was talking to on the headphone, and what was said. Just my observation and opinions.
she was talking to Nick Saban, he controls all of college sports from behind the scenes. She was probably asking if it was ok to start calling fouls on LSU since they were hack-a-shack on the LV all day.

The call on Reese was so instructive, When the whistle blew Reese (and Mulkey) were 100% confident that she was going to the line. Their utter disbelief when the call went against them shows that Reese has been making that little hook em and clear out the defender all season and getting away with it. A lot easier to put up double-doubles when you can foul your opposition with near impunity.

I think that it was also helpful that they called the same thing on Rickea earlier.

The call on Reese was so instructive, When the whistle blew Reese (and Mulkey) were 100% confident that she was going to the line. Their utter disbelief when the call went against them shows that Reese has been making that little hook em and clear out the defender all season and getting away with it. A lot easier to put up double-doubles when you can foul your opposition with near impunity.

It's deserved. Mulkey's always been a drama queen, going all the way back to 0.2 seconds.

Don't get me wrong. Pat emoted too. A lot of great coaches emote. Most don't throw water bottles or anything, but a lot of great coaches show emotion. But Mulkey? She's in a class of her own when it comes to overly melodramatic gestures, and almost faux rage, regardless of what actually happens on the court.

Here's what I would call a classic Mulkey -

Not only was Mulkey on the court where the play was taking place, but the official was right about her player kicking out her leg and even tripping the Kentucky player. But what does Mulkey do? Spit fire, punch the air toward the referee, and cause a ruckus over what she KNEW was a good call - because she was right there to see it. I want to say she was even caught smiling at someone during the official's timeout. Anyway. Unrivaled drama queen.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back