Talk to us about......Number 45.

DeusExMachina

"I aim to misbehave"
It's a fact of life that our favorite players in the Orange and White matriculate, exhaust their eligibility, and (sadly) move on to the rest of their lives. Some go on to play in the NFL, some in other leagues, and some go into the workforce and make their names known again. This is y'alls chance to tell your memories of a gentleman that had a stellar career at the University of Tennessee, played one season in the CFL, and then went about becoming (in many eyes, and to a couple different fanbases) a legend.

One of seven numbers to be retired by the Vols (the only one I know of though that was unretired with permission), an All-American/SEC MVP in his playing days, a member of the College Football Hall of Fame, and (from reports) a fixture on The Hill for many years until his passing:

My Big Orange brethren and sisteren, tell us your stories of Johnny Majors.

Coach Majors and I had breakfast together at Gourmet Market a couple years before his death . . . that is to say I was having breakfast and he was doing the same a couple tables over. 😂 I challenge you to name three other individuals in all of college football that had the combined success as a player and coach that he had. I don’t know if I can think of one.

Coach Majors and I had breakfast together at Gourmet Market a couple years before his death . . . that is to say I was having breakfast and he was doing the same a couple tables over. 😂 I challenge you to name three other individuals in all of college football that had the combined success as a player and coach that he had. I don’t know if I can think of one.
. Steve Spurrier would be one of them

The Majors family all bled ORANGE. When Johnny did his book, "You Can Go Home Again", my sister picked up a copy in Jackson, Tennessee and Johnny signed it for me and to me. Is one of my most favorite Vols Collectables.
Johnny was an ROTC leader his senior year at UT ... my Dad was a freshman then and Johnny was his ROTC leader. Dad always had a lot of respect for Johnny, as do I.
Rest in Peace Coach Majors.

Johnny Majors.jpg

I had no personal encounters with Majors, but he was the coach of my childhood -- one of the first names I associated with Volunteer football. On the field, he always carried himself with dignity and class. Watching his '85 team in Neyland was a magical experience for an eight-year-old, as was watching his '89 team for a twelve-year-old beginning to understand football and each game's regional and national implications. Three SEC championships. The miracle at South Bend (to this day, because I grew up watching his teams, I won't turn a losing effort off until the bitter end -- I saw too many games in which his teams, left for dead, made a stunning comeback). Sundays watching The Johnny Majors Show with my dad. Majors brought a lot of joy to my childhood. May he rest in peace.

I had no personal encounters with Majors, but he was the coach of my childhood -- one of the first names I associated with Volunteer football. On the field, he always carried himself with dignity and class. Watching his '85 team in Neyland was a magical experience for an eight-year-old, as was watching his '89 team for a twelve-year-old beginning to understand football and each game's regional and national implications. Three SEC championships. The miracle at South Bend (to this day, because I grew up watching his teams, I won't turn a losing effort off until the bitter end -- I saw too many games in which his teams, left for dead, made a stunning comeback). Sundays watching The Johnny Majors Show with my dad. Majors brought a lot of joy to my childhood. May he rest in peace.
We are close to the same age. He was also the first coach I knew at Tennessee.

I met him at spring 88 O&W game and he signed a football for me.

I met him again and punted for him at his football camp Summer 91. He gave me a couple pointers and then asked me to punt it again doing it that way (dropping the nose just a little was the big one). I boomed it 40 yards in the air and he shook my hand and said keep it up son.

I will never forget that interaction. There may have been 5 people in Neyland when that happened.

. We are about the same age my first introduction to Vol football was the 85 Sugar Vols. Majors had some great success from 85-91 winning 3 SEC titles. RIP Coach Majors

My Johnny Majors story is from September 24, 1955. I was fourteen years old and snuck into one of my first Vol football games. It was the first game of the 1955 season and there were 16,500 in attendance! (I had to look this up) The vols had a new coach named Bowden Wyatt. The Vols lost that home opener 13 - 7 but forever etched in my memory was the late game magic performed by a young slender tailback named Johnny Majors. Late in the second half, on his way to the endzone, he ran all over the field and every Miss. St. defender had at least one shot at him but missed. Those 16,000 fans let out an incredible roar but it was just too late! But, I became a Vol fan and was hooked for life! Wow--68 years goes fast!

Last time I saw Johnny we rode the elevator up in G10 parking. I had three guys with me who didn’t recognize him so I introduced them all. JM was as gracious and friendly as always. Just a country boy who had success. He was very close friends with my wife’s uncle. They disagreed on everything, argued about anything, competed against each other constantly….but were the best of friends😀.

Years ago I got a chance to play Pebble Beach. As I was about to tee off, an OU fan friend said that he just saw 45 in the pro shop. I didn’t believe him and I teed off. At the turn he brought me an autographed hat. Sure enough, it was 45.

I met him once. It was in 2010, the day the Vols hired Dooley to replace Kiffin. Coach Majors stopped by the station I was working at so we could interview him about coaching changes at Tennessee. I told him my grandfather was a huge fan of his from his Pitt days. I then asked about the old rumor (that my father had told me) that Lee Majors was his relative. He told me Lee Majors was a "Kentucky boy" who had seen him play in high school and college and idolized him. When his acting career began, he chose to honor Johnny by using "Majors" as his stage name.

The funny part is my father still insists I am wrong because he once heard on TV that Johnny and Lee were related.

It's a fact of life that our favorite players in the Orange and White matriculate, exhaust their eligibility, and (sadly) move on to the rest of their lives. Some go on to play in the NFL, some in other leagues, and some go into the workforce and make their names known again. This is y'alls chance to tell your memories of a gentleman that had a stellar career at the University of Tennessee, played one season in the CFL, and then went about becoming (in many eyes, and to a couple different fanbases) a legend.

One of seven numbers to be retired by the Vols (the only one I know of though that was unretired with permission), an All-American/SEC MVP in his playing days, a member of the College Football Hall of Fame, and (from reports) a fixture on The Hill for many years until his passing:

Once Majors and UT finally buried the hatchet, Tony Basilio had a “homecoming” event for Johnny at Rays on Kingston pike.
I got there early and was trying to find a seat with my football to get autographed when a few old guys motioned me over to their table and told me to have a seat.
We talked for a bit before Johnny arrived and once he did, he made his way straight to our table, where come to find out, I was sitting with a couple of former teammates!
I’ve never heard such BS and stories in all my life! We all had a few drinks and I just listened to Johnny and these old guys reminisce about the old days and laughed hysterically all night.
It was a night I will never forget!

Josh Heupel circa 2028. Heisman and 4 nattys surpasses.

Reactions: DeusExMachina

I know a couple from London's but I'll leave it that. ( People from Tullahoma will know London's):'

Well fellas, it ain’t just spurrier…..
Frank Leahy, Danny Ford, Woody Hays, ROBERT NEYLAND…. Jim Harbaugh …Bud Wilkinson-and more …. Soon to be coach Josh..

VN Store

Back