Game Thread: SEC FINAL; Lady Vols Vs SOU CAR...Sunday 3PM...ESPN

I do think they think they're saving legs. And JH, RJ, JW are playing a ton of minutes. So many it seems a little petty to argue about 2 or 3 more, 38 instead of 35. But at this point, what are you saving them for? All seem fine to play as much as possible and all seem to have tolerated it amazingly well. Unless they're doubled over and shorts tugging, leave them alone when they're playing well.

So, I have come down from the ledge on Kellie but, you triggered me. Her subs in the SC game made no freakin' sense. Jordan was in the zone, no way you take that player off the court when she is killing SC. The team lost momentum and Jordan never got back in that same rhythm. Even some of the quick subs for Rickea resulted in a wasted possession at crucial moments., Then there was line-up in the 3rd quarter, which I said at the moment will never work--Sara, Tess, Jaz Powell, and Striplin-- where in just a two minutes the lead went from 6 (?) to 15 and then Kellie came back to Hollingshead, Jordan H, and Rickea but the chance at victory ship had just sailed.

The brutal honesty against the real upper tier, which clearly includes SC, the lady vols can't go deep into their bench.

Last edited:
So, I have come down from the ledge on Kellie but, you triggered me. Her subs in the SC made no freakin' sense. Jordan was in the zone, no way you take that player off the court when she is killing SC. The team lost momentum and Jordan never got back in that same rhythm. Even some of the quick subs for Rickea resulted in a wasted possession at crucial moments., Then there was line-up in the 3rd quarter, which I said at the moment will never work--Sara, Tess, Jaz Powell, Walker and Striplin-- where in just a two minutes the lead went from 6 (?) to 15 and then Kellie came back to Hollingshead, Jordan H, and Rickea but the chance at victory ship had just sailed.

The brutal honesty against the real upper tier, which clearly includes SC, the lady vols can't go deep into their bench.
Sorry for the triggering behavior lol!

One of the random subs for Rickea was a mix up on how many fouls she had. Bench thought she had just picked up her second in the first half, statcast showed that also. But the foul was actually on Powell so they put her right back in.

The early Jordy sub when she was hot I will never understand.

Not about the SC game but more as a wrap up to the tournament.
No matter what happened today the look of unadulterated joy on the faces of the team and staff last night will stick with me for a long, long time! They all really deserved that moment. That will be a lifelong memory for them all.
The love between and among the players and staff in the locker room was profound and made me even more proud of this program! Well done LVs!!!
Yep, the team made it to the finals, which was the most anyone could expect. Blowout loss to sc was disappointing.

So, I have come down from the ledge on Kellie but, you triggered me. Her subs in the SC made no freakin' sense. Jordan was in the zone, no way you take that player off the court when she is killing SC. The team lost momentum and Jordan never got back in that same rhythm. Even some of the quick subs for Rickea resulted in a wasted possession at crucial moments., Then there was line-up in the 3rd quarter, which I said at the moment will never work--Sara, Tess, Jaz Powell, and Striplin-- where in just a two minutes the lead went from 6 (?) to 15 and then Kellie came back to Hollingshead, Jordan H, and Rickea but the chance at victory ship had just sailed.

THIS and me during those moments 🤯

It seem obvious that elite players get the calls. I have watched Caitlin Clark several times and on almost all of her drives to the basket, she uses her off hand to displace her defender but she is rarely called for a foul. That is not saying she is not one of the most elite players I have ever seen, because she is. I have seen Boston rebound over the back of players but she is rarely called for a foul. These are only two examples, because they are not alone when it comes to the lack of foul calling. I have seen teams like UCONN get away with fouls that other teams could not get away with. It may not be intentional but the awe of elite players skill sets that afford them the luxury of not being called for multiple fouls.

Yep, the team made it to the finals, which was the most anyone could expect. Blowout loss to sc was disappointing.

"Blowout loss" is a subjective term. Playing basically even for the first half and having opportunities in the second half (and nearly matching SC in all major categories except free throws taken) doesn't seem too blowout. Iowas's rout of Ohio State or Louisville's dominating of Notre Dame seem to fit the term better.

As far as the Championship game is concerned, the Ladies played their best and I am proud of them, but they faced a boatload of superstars and for two and a third quarters, they held their own. However, it didn’t take long for the cream to rise to the top. They simply did not have the staying power against an elite opponent. I believe that the Ladies earned a four seed and two games at home in the NCAAs. All and all we need to proud of the Ladies and wish them well in the NCAA tournament. Go Lady Vols!!

"Blowout loss" is a subjective term. Playing basically even for the first half and having opportunities in the second half (and nearly matching SC in all major categories except free throws taken) doesn't seem too blowout. Iowas's rout of Ohio State or Louisville's dominating of Notre Dame seem to fit the term better.
True, and I do wish we’d taken a last shot, instead of dribbling out the game. It’s a courtesy when you do it when you’re way ahead, but when the game is a loss, and people are paying attention to the point differential between 2 teams, for rankings/seeding, we could have made the score closer, and I wish we’d attempted that. Same for earlier games, too. The way teams are ranked now, points matter.

Darby post game interview you can tell she mad and really frustrated and she want's another shot at SC ?. If anything she needs to be upset with her self for not showing up.

I got home from the tournament late last night so here are some of my observations:
1. There may have been just around 1,000 UT fans at the tournament but on Friday night we roared like it was 1999.
2. From the stands, you could not see in real time the foul by Angel at the end of the game as it was blocked by the bodies of the players. We just heard a whistle, and were worried that yet again a player guarding Angel going up for a shot got called for a foul. NO one from UT was clapping until we saw the LVs happy and Kim sad. I was glad that that the camera shot for tv showed the elbow hook by Angel so clearly in that it prevented a controversy about our win. This is vital to me because when it comes to LV basketball, I am an orange sheep in a family flock of purple and gold ones. I just directed the fam to watch the replay on tv and stop whining!
3. Many of the LSU fans thought that Harper outcoached Kim in the game.
4. I thought our coach did well too except for the minimal use of Jill in the S. Carolina game. We absolutely need a third threat on offense against athletic teams, and Jill being that threat was a major factor in the turnaround of the LSU game. Jill only played about half the SC game, so I wondered if I was missing something. No, Jill was the only UT player to have a positive +/- ratio for the game, which is really amazing given that it was SC!
5. I loved the effort and grittiness of the LVs in the last two games. I actually enjoyed the SC game despite the loss because they played with everything they had to give.

So, I have come down from the ledge on Kellie but, you triggered me. Her subs in the SC game made no freakin' sense. Jordan was in the zone, no way you take that player off the court when she is killing SC. The team lost momentum and Jordan never got back in that same rhythm. Even some of the quick subs for Rickea resulted in a wasted possession at crucial moments., Then there was line-up in the 3rd quarter, which I said at the moment will never work--Sara, Tess, Jaz Powell, and Striplin-- where in just a two minutes the lead went from 6 (?) to 15 and then Kellie came back to Hollingshead, Jordan H, and Rickea but the chance at victory ship had just sailed.

I agree with your comments, Madtownvol. Kellie changed her coaching philosophy as for as giving the most minutes to her starters. Her next improvement is when to substitute. I believe she is improving. However, she has a way to go as you pointed out. Maybe she will get it together in the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Unrelated to any call in the SC game, since to my knowledge the refs never signaled a foul pointing to the restricted area as the basis of the foul being assessed, here are a couple of nuggets from the rulebook concerning the restricted arc that I had no idea conceptually existed.

b. When a player in control of the ball stops continuous movement toward the basket and then initiates illegal contact with a secondary defender in the restricted area, this is a player-control foul.

SO IT IS POSSIBLE WITH AN INTERRUPTED DRIVE TO THE GOAL TO GET A CHARGE CALL WHILE IN THE RESTRICTED ARC. Right?????

c. This restriction shall not apply to a secondary defender who establishes legal guarding position (two feet on the court facing the opponent) in the Restricted Area Arc and jumps straight up with arms in legal verticality position and attempts to block a shot.

SO EVEN IF YOU ARE PARKED IN THE RESTRICTED AREA, IF YOU DO NOT JUST HOLD POISITION LOOKING FOR A CHARGE, YOU CAN ESTABLISHE LEGAL GUARDING POSITION IF YOU LEAVE THE FLOOR TO DEFEND A SHOT AND THEY CAN ENTER YOUR CYLINDER FOR A PLAYER CONTROL FOUL. Right???????

Stuff like this makes my head hurt. Am I the only one in the dark about these? I thought the arc was sacrosanct when contact occured with an offensive player with the ball by a secondary defender.

I got home from the tournament late last night so here are some of my observations:
1. There may have been just around 1,000 UT fans at the tournament but on Friday night we roared like it was 1999.
2. From the stands, you could not see in real time the foul by Angel at the end of the game as it was blocked by the bodies of the players. We just heard a whistle, and were worried that yet again a player guarding Angel going up for a shot got called for a foul. NO one from UT was clapping until we saw the LVs happy and Kim sad. I was glad that that the camera shot for tv showed the elbow hook by Angel so clearly in that it prevented a controversy about our win. This is vital to me because when it comes to LV basketball, I am an orange sheep in a family flock of purple and gold ones. I just directed the fam to watch the replay on tv and stop whining!
3. Many of the LSU fans thought that Harper outcoached Kim in the game.
4. I thought our coach did well too except for the minimal use of Jill in the S. Carolina game. We absolutely need a third threat on offense against athletic teams, and Jill being that threat was a major factor in the turnaround of the LSU game. Jill only played about half the SC game, so I wondered if I was missing something. No, Jill was the only UT player to have a positive +/- ratio for the game, which is really amazing given that it was SC!
5. I loved the effort and grittiness of the LVs in the last two games. I actually enjoyed the SC game despite the loss because they played with everything they had to give.

I toyally agree the LVs need a third option in scoring. I suspect it was going to be Key this year but the lack of anyone other than our two 1st team SEC players being consistent scorers hurt. I would have thought somebody from the bench would have showed up but alas and alack no one was there. Our players all of them give their best, but at this level of play too many cannot compete at this level. It's NOT that we don't have the horses, we do, Key, Horston, and Rickea can pull that wagon. The problem is too many of our other players either can't get on the court, have limits making them too limited to defense or offensive players only. The staff really needs to hit the portal hard and likewise we have young ladies that need to be encouraged to hit the portal hard as well.

Wow,, bit harsh there...
Post on Edie Darby is simply an untruth ; she was a preferred walk on & the family only knew about this after Coach Harper asked them if she would come to Tennessee as a walk-on; these girls love Tennessee basketball & she will make an impact on this team if given the opportunity

From now on they're all elimination games. Ride em while they're hot because we don't get hot all that much. She who hates change hangs on to planned rotation a little too much in some situations.

I watched the game -- from home this year, unfortunately 😢 -- with a 90-year-old woman who doesn't even know the names of the players and rarely watches women's basketball, yet SHE, who had watched silently up to this point, actually leaned over and said, "Oh no! Why did the coach take that girl out when she was doing everything so good?"

We were both anxious anytime either Horston or Jackson was sitting. I wanted to ram my head into a wall when the mistake subbing of Jackson happened.

I might get killed for this but it’s the truth if you start Striplin Puckett and Darby next year it would be the worst defensive group in Lady Vols history

Maybe now, at this crucial point in the post-season, isn't the optimal time to choose to take a dump on any of our players? Just something to consider. There are a maximum 6 games everyone would have to wait through before it would make a little more sense for anyone to sh!t on these girls who love the program and give their all and who will be back next year. Can you please wait a little longer? 🥹

It seem obvious that elite players get the calls. I have watched Caitlin Clark several times and on almost all of her drives to the basket, she uses her off hand to displace her defender but she is rarely called for a foul. That is not saying she is not one of the most elite players I have ever seen, because she is. I have seen Boston rebound over the back of players but she is rarely called for a foul. These are only two examples, because they are not alone when it comes to the lack of foul calling. I have seen teams like UCONN get away with fouls that other teams could not get away with. It may not be intentional but the awe of elite players skill sets that afford them the luxury of not being called for multiple fouls.

Oh, lawd, Golfteacher. I'm with you on this. As amazing as Clark is, every single time I've watched her play I have been struck by how well and how often she displaces defenders with that off arm -- and it's rarely just a minor push, either. For whatever reason, she was allowed to use this illegal, unfair tactic on upwards of 50% of the time I've watched her.

In her defense, if it's not going to be called, then hell yeah, why SHOULDN'T she push defenders out of the way to get those amazing points and/or assist number up?

And yes, Connecticut likes to cry about being mauled, but they are experts at holding and setting illegal screens and pushing off HARD and getting away with it.

Post on Edie Darby is simply an untruth ; she was a preferred walk on & the family only knew about this after Coach Harper asked them if she would come to Tennessee as a walk-on; these girls love Tennessee basketball & she will make an impact on this team if given the opportunity

I think Edie is a major asset to the team, and while she IS undersized, from what I've seen her heart is as big as the Smoky Mountains and I'm thrilled she's out there representing the program and her home state with the class and excitement she is bringing to both.

People. Listen up. Don't sleep on this little dynamo. Whether it's on the court or off, my gut tells me Edie Darby is one to watch out for. I'm not suggesting she's the next Parker, but give her a chance to learn and grow. I, for one, have been impressed by the hustle and fearlessness she's shown in the few minutes she's had on the court, and that, to me, deserves our respect and encouragement!

I think Edie is a major asset to the team, and while she IS undersized, from what I've seen her heart is as big as the Smoky Mountains and I'm thrilled she's out there representing the program and her home state with the class and excitement she is bringing to both.

People. Listen up. Don't sleep on this little dynamo. Whether it's on the court or off, my gut tells me Edie Darby is one to watch out for. I'm not suggesting she's the next Parker, but give her a chance to learn and grow. I, for one, have been impressed by the hustle and fearlessness she's shown in the few minutes she's had on the court, and that, to me, deserves our respect and encouragement!
Whew. 😅 You seemed to have settled down a little. You were on fire up in here earlier! 🔥

Reactions: lvocd

Edie may look undersized, but it depends on whom you’re comparing. As far as height, she is taller than Powell or Miles. I know we may get another point guard, but at some point Edie may surprise us all with how well she can play point.

Edie may look undersized, but it depends on whom you’re comparing. As far as height, she is taller than Powell or Miles. I know we may get another point guard, but at some point Edie may surprise us all with how well she can play point.

Hey, just wanted you to know I feel you on this. Powell and Miles, if bothcome back are likely to be our go-tos .... but I can honestly see Edie giving a few minutes here and there against at least 40% of the schedule, which would be a major contribution.

Seriously. This kid is determined to make her mark, and I'm there for it!

VN Store

Back