Game Thread: SEC FINAL; Lady Vols Vs SOU CAR...Sunday 3PM...ESPN

Trying to figure what we'd need to do to beat SCar. Have to hit almost every shot...but how do you stop that height? And they can hit from deep. They are just so loaded. Last year we had height but not enough skill. We need the height and the 3 pt skill. They are just too dang good. Throw it down low and game over.

I am praying one of them at least comes back but I'm fully prepared for both to go to the WNBA. Landing players like Jackson out the portal is incredibly rare. I am hoping they strike gold in the portal this offseason.

Going to be super interesting in a month or two
RJ seems more bonded with the team than ever and she's about to get her wish for some NCAA experience. Even so, and I'd love to be wrong, I'd sports die to be wrong, but I'll bet she's already picking out the draft day outfit. Goes in top 5.

Jordy is a 50/50 to return IMO and maybe dependent on Key, who I believe is likely to return.

I feel good about a healthy, in shape, motivated Key plus Hollingsworth and Striplin down low. We need speedy guards who can shoot fm the portal, overseas, or wherever we can get them.

I am praying one of them at least comes back but I'm fully prepared for both to go to the WNBA. Landing players like Jackson out the portal is incredibly rare. I am hoping they strike gold in the portal this offseason.

Going to be super interesting in a month or two

In an interview after the KY win Jordan inadvertently(?) mentioned something to the effect of this being her last year…..

We have several like that, Keyes was too slow. Even a lot of our quicker players lack fundamentals and can’t hit the easy shots. Stripen hits shots better but moves slower. But fast and wild and soft don’t work either. We need physical players that can hit shots and play under control. Players that are willing to work without the ball. Our fundamentals are woefully lacking in all aspects.

Speaking of fundamentals, a good beginning is learning the actual names of the players.

In an interview after the KY win Jordan inadvertently(?) mentioned something to the effect of this being her last year…..
I mean the reality is most these high level players especially the top ones are probably WNBA bound (not just pertaining to TN's players).

I'm fully prepared. The battle in the portal should be interesting. Our counterparts will be gunning for the same players as well. As deep as SC was this year, no doubt Dawn will be hitting the portal for some more talent, but especially experience. LSU likewise as well.

It is obvious that we need more shooters and speedy guards who can both shoot and play defense. I would like for us to find another tall threat who can score. We need bench strength which can spark the team. KJH needs to recruit the portal, JUCO and foreign prospects.

Reactions: volfan__18
It is obvious that we need more shooters and speedy guards who can both shoot and play defense. I would like for us to find another tall threat who can score. We need bench strength which can spark the team. KJH needs to recruit the portal, JUCO and foreign prospects.
In other words..we needs some doggs!!

Reactions: Golfteacher
some get fouls geet near them others get for sure fouls. you see it the way you see other people see it the way see it. to bad they there no hawheye like in tennis now calls always right. some teams like south caroline and uconn always get more calls.
wouldnt the hawkeye be great?

Just got home from the game. As soon as the officials came out onto the floor, I told our group that we were toast. My wife said the guy beside her said the exact same thing. With that being said, hats off to Carolina. They are a darn good team and deserved the win. We have some good players, but Dawn just has more off them than we do. I respect them because they don’t mouth off or showboat to the cameras like LSU does. No respect for that bunch. I mean really. Putting a crown on the Bayou Barbie during introductions is a little much. At least she didn’t get to put it on leaving the court.

i always see grumbling on this forum about the refs being anti-LV is it possible the opponent had a superior? boston and cardoso went the line a lot are u saying some of those for instance were phantom calls?

SC entered the game with superior players and left with superior players and I have stated they did not change the PROBABLE outcome of the game. But there is no justification for the different level of contact allowed PARTICULARLY around the goal ending with foul calls. They applied the rules of verticality within the cylinder of the both the shooter and the defender differently on each end. Consistently enough to be outside normal acceptable deviation and indicating a bias. Go read all the references in rule 4 about cylinders in the guarding (17?) and verticality (39?) sections for a start.

Before the game I felt this would likely be a loss, but was curious to see if-

1. We looked ready for the moment
2. If we passed the eye test for a team that could make it to the second weekend

They checked those boxes today, imo. Flaws and all.

I want to see this team get a 4 seed. I'm banking on a 5 though. Playing SC twice is two losses for any team this season.

Looking forward to seeing the brackets next Sunday.

Last edited:
Before the game I felt this would likely be a loss, but I was curious to see if-

1. We looked ready for the moment
2. If we passed the eye test for a team that could make it to the second weekend

They checked those boxes today, imo. Flaws and all.

I want to see this team get a 4 seed. I'm banking on a 5 though. Playing SC twice is two losses for any team this season.

Looking forward to seeing the brackets next Sunday.

I would be surprised if the committee gave us a 4 seed. 5 sounds about right which is still a good bit better than 7 or 8 seed.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttharp
Just got home from the game. As soon as the officials came out onto the floor, I told our group that we were toast. My wife said the guy beside her said the exact same thing. With that being said, hats off to Carolina. They are a darn good team and deserved the win. We have some good players, but Dawn just has more off them than we do. I respect them because they don’t mouth off or showboat to the cameras like LSU does. No respect for that bunch. I mean really. Putting a crown on the Bayou Barbie during introductions is a little much. At least she didn’t get to put it on leaving the court.
there lots of refs who cheat for some teams. and when those teams win honest fans know the refs where doing what they where told.

Trying to figure what we'd need to do to beat SCar. Have to hit almost every shot...but how do you stop that height? And they can hit from deep. They are just so loaded. Last year we had height but not enough skill. We need the height and the 3 pt skill. They are just too dang good. Throw it down low and game over.
A healthy Tamari Key would have been a huge benefit in the South Carolina game.

Jackson and Horston - 36 pts and 18 rebounds.
Everyone else - 22 pts and 15 rebounds.
Not enough.

Honestly, we had not chance to beat SC by being their mirror image. We needed to hit 3s and spread the floor (I predict that is how SC is going to lose in the tournament-though probably in the final 4).

RJ did her part hitting a few 3s but Tess could not find a shot and we missed the few wide opens we had. Oh, Sara Bucketts come back to us...

But for most part, this team is built to be an SC type old skool pound the paint and rebound team, but we are smaller (the absence of Key is so monumental) and overall less athletic.

But that comparative shortfall applies to every team that plays SC. So, I think this more cohesive and confident late season version of the LVs can definitely get to the Sweet 16 and now I am starting to thinking that an elite 8 is possible, if Rickea can continue on her tear and we get the best of Jordan.

SC entered the game with superior players and left with superior players and I have stated they did not change the PROBABLE outcome of the game. But there is no justification for the different level of contact allowed PARTICULARLY around the goal ending with foul calls. They applied the rules of verticality within the cylinder of the both the shooter and the defender differently on each end. Consistently enough to be outside normal acceptable deviation and indicating a bias. Go read all the references in rule 4 about cylinders in the guarding (17?) and verticality (39?) sections for a start.
when one gets called for touch fouls . and the other team does not. its like playing 6 on 5. team refs calls tonch fouls plays tight. while other team plays free grabing overback pushig holding. refs should rings or champship hats to when some teams win they earn it!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

I did think our posts did, for the most part, a terrific job of maintaining verticality, but still got called for a number of fouls I just didn't think were deserved. I thought as long as the arms are straight up it's not supposed to be a foul, and it sure looked to me like most of Striplen's fouls and some of Hollingshead's fouls were not actually fouls. Looked to me like if there was any contact it was because the SC post had leaned INTO the arrow-straight-up arms of the UT player. I mean, what else could they do? Is there really nothing a post defender can do that isn't automatically whistled as a foul???

I have not rewatched the game so I could be completely wrong, I know. Just saying this was my frustration watching the game.

Im normally critical of the team but this lost dnt bother me as much we had our chances sometimes u tip yo hat and move on....i will say this that LSU was crucial for psyche of the team and i promise you nobody wants to see this team as a 5 seed

Reactions: travis929

VN Store

Back