Game Thread: Lady Vols Vs LSU: SEC Semi; 6:30 PM on ESPNU (((WIN 69-67)

Re-watched the game in a normal frame of mind.

Really, LSU just froze in the second half. The zone flummoxed them. They settled for bad shots and weren’t aggressive toward the basket at all. Fouls were 16-19 UT/LSU but free throws were 24-7 in favor of us. We were truly the more aggressive team.

Hollingshed’s contribution in the second half was undeniable.

Hope we have one more in us.

Q. Jordan, it was kind of a tale of two halves for you tonight. What did you feel like flipped the switch to make your numbers go up so much?
JORDAN HORSTON: Rickea staying on me, saying, I need you, Jordy. I don't like letting people down. I'm always like, okay, let me not be selfish. Let me figure out how I can provide and do something productive for this team, because I really want to win. Everybody knows that I want to win, but I gotta give a shout out to my teammates because they pulled me out for real.

Kellie about Rickea:

“Just proud of her. It's a mindset. She is competitive. And she is a winner.”

Also:

Kellie, I know you guys in projections have been hovering around that four, five line. Do you think this enhances your chances of opening the NCAA tournament at home?
COACH HARPER: Yes. Yes, I do. I think we're good enough to host.

🙂

This has to rank as one of the most incredible and improbable comeback wins in LV history. This team has done nothing all season to inspire a belief in me that they could knock off a top 20 team, let alone a top 5 team, and yet they did. After watching the Iowa men's team this past week complete the most amazing comeback in regulation that I have ever seen, I should have had more confidence in them that they could pull it off. But I didn't. They aren't the Iowa men's team. Especially with Horston's antics in the last minute, I figured they would surely find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory yet again. But they didn't. And I am so genuinely happy for them. Here's to hoping they can do it again tomorrow by knocking off #1, although I honestly believe that is asking for too much. But hey, what do I know? I'm just a decades long fan that will be cheering them on again tomorrow. GBO!

You had me until "with Horston's antics in the last minute"

Really, LSU just froze in the second half. The zone flummoxed them. They settled for bad shots and weren’t aggressive toward the basket at all. Fouls were 16-19 UT/LSU but free throws were 24-7 in favor of us. We were truly the more aggressive team.

Kellie out coached Mulkey. Kym did not use her timeouts effectively and made poor subs. Really time for LSU to move on to a better coach.

Last edited:
The Bayou Barbie is Bye Bye Barbie! Could not have ended more perfectly than a foul on her.

Epic win, epic comeback. So happy to have the monkey off the back, so happy to see the kids so happy. I don't even care what happens tomorrow.

I have to rewatch, pretty sure I was not comprehending everything.,

You and me both. It was a text book comeback. They did not try to get "it all back at once" but just kept whittling the deficit down and they totally got in LSU's heads. When Tess got fouled for three shots. Kellie give this little smirk that said "we're coming."

Kellie's Presser was interesting. Said that she did not yell or go RA!RA! at half. It was just a methodical discussion of what they needed to do [NEWS FLASH-- Kellie was not happy with 13 TOs in the first half] and she complimented the team for staying even keeled through the highs and the lows of the game.

Last edited:
Time to say the obvious. We (the team) picked up something we didn’t have at the beginning of this game, confidence in ourselves and what we can really do against top ranked teams. We knew we played the tougher schedule, and LSU knew they did not. You could see it in their faces when we were stopping them, and then beating them. I imagine LSU’s confidence is a bit shaken right now.

What a great time for us to become more confident in our play, during the SEC Tournament, and before the NCAA Tournament.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

Perhaps those early season tough losses helped toughen this team up
One reason I wasn't writing them off tonight. Honestly, what's LSU's record if they had played Tennessee's schedule rather than that joke of an OOC schedule they had? I don't think it would be much different than the LVs.

I actually saw Mulkey here in December, recruiting Sarah Strong. I made the comment to someone that she could do all the recruiting she wanted, because she sure as heck didn't need to do any coaching against who they were playing at the time.

Kelly needs to get a Technical. But not her peraonality

Ya know, Kellie credited the comeback to her team keeping their composure and staying even keeled, not getting too high or too low.

I know, the magical belief is that a coach has to get a technical to fire up the team but you know, sometimes it ain't about the performative grandstanding.

No crow from my perspective. There is no excuse for how they started, the sloppy turnovers should have been corrected long before now,

They got the win but in no way should be pleased with how they won. The last possessions with throwing the ball up with 1 second left and it having no chance to go in is unacceptable.
Your other post was a premature attempt to serve crow to Tennessee Head Coach Kellie Jolly Harper's defenders, who were saying that Tennessee would beat LSU. You never mentioned anything about style points being relevant in that previous post.

You should be big enough to admit that you jumped the gun with your own crow serving ... and eat some of your own.

Q. Jordan, it was kind of a tale of two halves for you tonight. What did you feel like flipped the switch to make your numbers go up so much?
JORDAN HORSTON: Rickea staying on me, saying, I need you, Jordy. I don't like letting people down. I'm always like, okay, let me not be selfish. Let me figure out how I can provide and do something productive for this team, because I really want to win. Everybody knows that I want to win, but I gotta give a shout out to my teammates because they pulled me out for real.
Just "Jordan being Jordan"

Reactions: chuckiepoo
You had me until "with Horston's antics in the last minute"
Well, her last minute wasnt ideal. Up 4 under a minute left and she lets them take it away from her for a lay up. Up 2, she barely gets the ball inbounds to Jackson, then same possession holds the ball before forcing a prayer as shots clock runs out.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE

I agree with you 100% LSU just lost there way in the second half. Up 17 then you need to put the game away but the zone was a problem for LSU.

shouldn't the dang law of averages catch up at some point? Can we really lose em all? Every dog has its day. Maybe this is finally ours?
:)
This was our moment.
It really was our day, the time the odds FINALLY caught up and gave us a break. I would never detract from this glorious moment, but in a way it was just meant to be. Ordinarily, the bad possesions in the last minute would have done us in, but not this time.

And that last call on Ole Ang? It was clearly the correct call, but I bet that call goes the other way at least 7 or 8 times out of 10.

But you definitely make your own luck and we were right there to accept every gift fate doled out.
Does anyone remember the NCAAT game where Tasha Butts was fouled in the last seconds - Mulkey thought at first Tasha was given the foul, but when she realized her own team fouled & Tasha was going to win the game at the free throw line, she dropped to the floor & spun around on her heel! Classic Mulkey, Vol Nation went nuts over it! In truth, the call was really, really, really close :p
I love seeing Kim in agony
Speaking of calls, I do remember this vividly and you could add 10 more reallys to the close call. God love Tasha Butts, hope she's doing ok.
Ya know, Kellie credited the comeback to her team keeping their composure and staying even keeled, not getting too high or too low.
It's often said the team reflects their coach and in this aspect, KJH and RJ really reflect each other. Announcers have been commenting lately about the incredibly even keel RJ keeps on court. A second or so of celebration, just a quick standstill, is about all you ever get from her oncourt. So calm, lol almost regal in her bearing and it's such a great counter to JH's emotional presence. I thought RJ made Robyn Benton and her mugging look like an absolute fool in the KY game just by being so focused and locked in, and so much more successful lol. Does not need the "hey look at me" sillyness to be noticed.

Same for Tess Darby, a real calming presence in the oncourt huddles. Really nice game by Tess btw, her best against an elite team.

All the oncourt cool makes the celebration all the more sweet. Have looked at the all videos 10 times at least. Oncourt stoic RJ lets Big Personality RJ take over and that imitation of the Angel Dance was 80 kinds of awesome. Probably my favorite though was when RJ and JH broke from the courtside interview and danced across the court in front of the screaming LV fans, high fiving the fans all the way into the tunnel. Then that little moment between them in the hallway. Such a sweet full circle moment, and freaking FINALLY!

I've said before, best case scenerio is the Kellie/RJ story becomes the one we get tired of hearing over and over during the post season. Let it BE!!!

And gave the Ladt Vols very little credit...
And had to address publically why Angel's gpa doesn't qualify her for the Wooden Award Finalist List. It does keep her eligible at LSU though according to Kim.

I actually feel bad for Angel on this matter but the committee was getting so much hate over her not being on the list they had to explain.

...And that last call on Ole Ang? It was clearly the correct call, but I bet that call goes the other way at least 7 or 8 times out of 10....

Another old adage is "referees should never decide the game" and this is often why non-calls are experienced at the end of games
Kudos to that ref for having the cochungas to not follow protocol

IMO the official made the correct offensive foul call on Reese in the last 12 seconds or whatever it was. She, first, threw her shoulder into Hollingshead and then cleared our player away with her left arm. It was a good call.
It wasn’t the first time she cleared by driving a shoulder into our defender. It’s her signature move.

VN Store

Back