Game Thread: SEC tournament; Lady Vols v Kentucky,,Friday 8:15 PM, SEC network=win 80-71

Been the story all season. If we could've taken care of the ball several games would've been wins.

Been the story for 15 seasons, really. It's decision-making. We did a lot of good things--but we also had 15-point leads twice in the first half
that we couldn't hold. You want to consolidate leads and not be in a four-point game late in the 4th. Jackson's good free-throw shooting enabled us to keep just enough of a cushion to keep it from being a real nail-biter at the end. We were able to get the ball inside to Jackson in the 4th quarter, and she got fouled frequently, and Horston was able to get to the rim and score a couple of big baskets. That said, her outside shooting has been weirdly and wildly off lately. Give Kentucky credit as they made a lot of baskets to keep their deficit under 10 in the 2nd half. The cats ended with 8 three-pointers. We got 4 treys from Darby very early in the game and didn't hit another the rest of the game: ended with 4.

Silly response. You think we do anything differently than most teams? Turnovers are turnovers--not good. Horston does a lot of good things
and makes a lot of bad decisions as well. It's who she is. She's been this way since her sophomore year....

I'm not sure what you're thinking about her sophomore year. That season she averaged a career low 2.7 turnovers per game and 4.0 turnovers per 40 minutes, and a career best 1.53 A/TO ratio. This season is her second best, with 2.9 turnovers and 4.3 turnovers per 40 minutes, and a 1.20 A/TO ratio. This season she is averaging a career low 15.5% turnover percentage (% of plays where she commits a turnover), which she has actually improved each and every season as a Lady Vol.

Hollingshead has to have a solid game against LSU. I hope I am proven wrong but LSU will keep Darby at a minimum. So outside RJ and JH who is going to score? Powell, Walker, or someone outside Hollingshead? Not likely. Time will yell. Beating LSU would be very impressive. I just hope UT plays tough and keeps it close.

Walker was that player in the first game against LSU, with a team high 19 points (3-5 from 3), 5 boards, 3 assists, and 3 steals. Can she do it again? Maybe more importantly, can Horston have a better game? She was 5-16 and only 11 points.

Not near enough of Jordan and Rickea together!

Rickea played 35 minutes and Jordan played 33, so that can't have been much time that they weren't out there together. Maybe it's just noticeable when one is out there without the other, because we can't really go any time without at least one of them out there.

Reactions: Bret178
Rickea played 35 minutes and Jordan played 33, so that can't have been much time that they weren't out there together. Maybe it's just noticeable when one is out there without the other, because we can't really go any time without at least one of them out there.
LOL every second does stand out. It bothers me bc it seems like Jordy's curl shifts as soon as Kea goes out. Maybe starts to force a bit. I have a feeling JH is going to have a big game tonight though. That and their guards cooling off alot might give us a chance.

Loved Karo's answer to the ponytail question: Have you ever had your ponytail pulled? Well, not since grade school.

Powell has no excuse and shouldn't be on the floor. What is her purpose ? And then Kellie has both Powell and Walker in the game together , go figure.
Run amok Jasmine Run amok
Ihave been asking that all season. Glad someone else has same concern. We always seem to blow a lead with that line up. And what was with that goofy kine up at the end of the game. Makes no sense at all

This win (or Ohio St.'s win over Michigan) dropped us one spot to #16 in the NET, dropped two spots in Her Hoop Stats to #12, moved up a spot to #16 in Massey, and up a spot in RPI to #18. Looking around at some other rating systems, we're #13 in Sonny Moore, #15 in Omni (not updated through yesterday yet), #10 in LRMC (also not updated through yesterday), #16 in AMSTS, and #20 in Faktor Sports KPI.

According to almost all rating systems I can find, we're a top 16 team and deserve to host!

KY turned TN‘s 22 turnovers tonight into 38 points! Turnovers matter!

SC had 16 turnovers...didn't seem to bother their fans,,,maybe it's because they won...son of a gun,,,so did we

Good try but most of their turnovers are because of carelessness not agression.

Let's see your turnover report...

Ihave been asking that all season. Glad someone else has same concern. We always seem to blow a lead with that line up. And what was with that goofy kine up at the end of the game. Makes no sense at all

If you can figure out KJH's substitution reasons or patterns you will be the first.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Turning a blind eye to continued turnovers doesn’t win championships. Try that line against a top team. It will bother you then.
What do you want her to do, not play Horston? Of course we all loathe the t.o.s and that could well be what gets us tonight. At this point, the t.o.s are the price we pay for the rest of big time JH upside. She knows, she owns it, she tries and I pray tonight is one of those nights she has it under control. But she's too valuable in other areas to give up. This is pretty much the story of our team. So I'm not sure what turning a blind eye even means.

I know its old news, but her leaping ability is eye popping. I pooh poohed the vertical leap story, but dang, she's got some well-timed major league hops. She and RJ are so fun to watch with some amazing athletic abilities we don't see enough around here.

What do you want her to do, not play Horston? Of course we all loathe the t.o.s and that could well be what gets us tonight. At this point, the t.o.s are the price we pay for the rest of big time JH upside. She knows, she owns it, she tries and I pray tonight is one of those nights she has it under control. But she's too valuable in other areas to give up. This is pretty much the story of our team. So I'm not sure what turning a blind eye even means.

I know its old news, but her leaping ability is eye popping. I pooh poohed the vertical leap story, but dang, she's got some well-timed major league hops. She and RJ are so fun to watch with some amazing athletic abilities we don't see enough around here.
well said

That clean block at the rim was absolutely amazing! Immaculate timing followed by a mega swat!
53495A66-E6EF-4225-9DD1-7FDC4A99BE35.jpeg

Last edited:
What the world sees when it reviews Jordan's stat line:

9-18 from the field/3-4FT for 21 pts. (really good efficiency and excellent offensive production ); 7 assists (great playmaking for the off guard), 7 rebounds (great work from a guard), 7 BLOCKS (Incredible!! That is a Tamari Key quality stat) and 7 TOs (need to clean that up a bit but a couple were due to tight passes in the paint that did not quite come off).

What Vol Nation negavols see:

7 TURNOVERS!!!! BURN HER! BURN HER!!!

Seriously folks, get a freaklin' clue.

9-18 from the field/3-4FT for 21 pts. (really good efficiency and excellent offensive production ); 7 assists (great playmaking for the off guard), 7 rebounds (great work from a guard), 7 BLOCKS (Incredible!! That is a Tamari Key quality stat) and 7 TOs (need to clean that up a bit but a couple were due to tight passes in the paint that did not quite come off).

She weighs more than a duck? 😉

I mean, to be fair, it's not like the obsession w JH t.o.s came out of thin air. It's just what do you expect them to do about it before 7 p.m. tonight? It's kind of baked in the cake.

Very simple. I want her to stop making so many turnovers!!! NEVER have I advocated for benching her. However, turnovers better change or March will end too early for the LV.

Last edited:
Very simple. I want her to stop making so many turnovers. NEVER have I advocated for benching her. However, turnovers better change or March will end too early for the LV.
So you're basically saying you don't want to see an aggressive Jordon Horston on the court. It is not like she is bouncing the ball off her foot. She is in attack mode every second she is on the court pushing the opponent's defense onto their heels in playmaking situations. Those turnovers she has most of the time are aggressively trying to get another player into scoring position and most generally turn into dead ball turnovers when they happen. I'm not saying I wouldn't like for the turnovers to go down, but I would never try to take the aggressiveness out of a player with a stat line like hers.

VN Store

Back