(Not Official) SEC Permanent Rivals per Ross Dellenger of SI

I do prefer Kentucky over USCjr..Mainly because of the history we have with them and it being thier biggest game of the year and the big reason for us is it is almost a guaranteed win every year!

Reactions: DuckInAPen
No way GA gets that cake walk every year
There really are no cake walks under the 3/6/6. For 30 years we've trained our minds to think permanents are super important because right now permanents make up 7/8th's (87.5%) of the schedule. Under the new set up it's 3 out of 9 that are permanent (33.3%). It's way less significant for schedule balance. If you have fewer traditional powers in your permanents you'll have more in your rotating group. There's nowhere to hide, it's gone be hell no matter what:
FqUMSI_XoCADquc.jpeg

This is EXACTLY the same as the one I posted about three weeks ago from the supposedly very well connected person in Birmingham.
That tells me this is probably it. It is completely identical.

And I realize I’m in the minority around here, but getting either Kentucky or Vandy off our permanent schedule is a very good thing. Hell, I am thrilled with this actually.

As for South Carolina, this helps us with recruiting too. SC has way more D1 talent than Kentucky does - and we need to compete with Clemson for more of them. This helps there.

Reactions: CedarHillVol
Point taken
And also, their fans on cats illustrated- last time I looked —didn’t like it, but most of them felt like Kentucky wouldn’t get to keep the UT game. There wasn’t the teeth gnashing about it like there is here

South Carolina is a lackluster program. No great historical accomplishments and their biggest rival isn’t even in the sec. The problem is no other team would rank South Carolina as one of their top 3 rivals which means we likely will be stuck with them which is a shame

And one more thing -if it weren’t SC, would you rather Florida or Georgia ? I wish it were Florida personally - but this is obviously much better than KY. - at least to me as a fan.
And hey - if this does hold, we can beat the living hell out of SC for the next 25 years in a row by Siddy points just to make up for what happened.

Not playing UGA and FL every year will suck. UK and Vandy are not our rivals.

If I were casting a ranked-choice ballot to elect our permanent rivals, I'd probably come up with something like this:

1. Alabama
2a. Vanderbilt
2b. Kentucky
4. Auburn
5. Florida
6a. Ole Miss
6b. Georgia
8. LSU
9. Arkansas
10a. South Carolina
10b. Mississippi State.
12-15. old Big 8/SWAC schools

I'd take any of seven schools above South Carolina as our third permanent rival (and an eighth as a toss-up).

Oh, well. Maybe this game will become something with time.

Last edited:
I’m cool with it. I think every school is going to feel like they could’ve done better, but could’ve done worse and that’s how I feel with this. Bama and Vandy are not negotiable. The third is. We could definitely do worse than USCjr. If you look at the totality of college football, they’re a joke of a program. And it’s a decently fertile recruiting ground. I expect to beat them in Neyland every time and beat them on the road at least 50% of the time.

Nice to see UGA and Bama finally get the shaft in scheduling.

Just reading that thread on twitter and I agreed with what someone said: They need to switch Kentucky and USCe for Us and Georgia. Georgia certainly considers USCe a rival, and we certainly consider Kentucky a rival, certainly more so than USCe. There's no real balancing issue, historically and recently they're pretty much the same. Some good years and some bad for both teams.

We don’t need no stinking Texas or OU in the SEC. I hate to see annual rivalries ruined and abolished because of greed and this expansion. I looked forward to playing Florida, Georgia and Kentucky every year.

Reactions: hog88
We don’t need no stinking Texas or OU in the SEC. I hate to see annual rivalries ruined and abolished because of greed and this expansion. I looked forward to playing Florida, Georgia and Kentucky every year.
FYP

VN Store

Back