Jeez, car rental prices have gotten high.

JL24

Haven't rented a vehicle since before the pandemic.

Checked around yesterday on rates, and woof, they have pretty much doubled.

And that was with getting a discount through my insurance.

Might try hitch hiking.

yep. and if you get one, count on waiting about an hour to get the car. Between the long check in lines and then actually waiting to get the car, it'll be a bit. Rental companies sold off alot of their fleet during the pandemic so inventory is way low. When you get your car chances are it have been turned in about 15 minutes before you got it
rental car will be as much or more than a room. And that's not even getting a luxury car

Might try hitch hiking.
try zipcar or another service. rent someone else's car, kind of like VRBO or AirBnB. from what I hear, it is usually about 50% the cost of an agency.

yep. and if you get one, count on waiting about an hour to get the car. Between the long check in lines and then actually waiting to get the car, it'll be a bit. Rental companies sold off alot of their fleet during the pandemic so inventory is way low. When you get your car chances are it have been turned in about 15 minutes before you got it
rental car will be as much or more than a room. And that's not even getting a luxury car

Most everywhere I rent from now has skip the counter service if you sign up for their club and pre-fill your CC, etc. Just go to the car lot most places. Others will have my paperwork printed and ready without standing in line.

During covid rates were dirt cheap like flights. Too bad those days are over.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
My son is renting one in Cookeville at $20-25/day while he gets some body work done.

We have a few exceptions to the norm here in Cookeville, but for the most part what was once rated as one of the lowest cost of living cities/areas to be found anywhere is creeping up to the pack.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
We have a few exceptions to the norm here in Cookeville, but for the most part what was once rated as one of the lowest cost of living cities/areas to be found anywhere is creeping up to the pack.

Speaking for Jackson County since i'm two miles over the line, I just paid $550 property tax on 43 acres and a house (farm/greenway rate of course). There's perks to getting out of Putnam County.

lol...hit the reply on the wrong post and spoke to myself.

Speaking for Jackson County since i'm two miles over the line, I just paid $550 property tax on 43 acres and a house (farm/greenway rate of course). There's perks to getting out of Putnam County.

lol...hit the reply on the wrong post and spoke to myself.
We used to (1970s) go to a cople of beautiful waterfalls that were a few hundred feet apart. Not a lot of water but very high.We called them "twin falls". I don't recall if they were in Putnam or Jackson County, but they were on private property. The people didn't mind if you parked near their home and walked across their land. I can't find it on google maps.
You familiar with those falls? That was a half century ago so the current owners might want to keep people away.

I own 250 acres of land with partners that is in the Greenbelt. We are selling it in 6 tracts, and our contract provides that the buyer will keep it in the greenbelt. Otherwise there are Rollback taxes.
TN counties are not consistent when it comes to interpreting the greenbelt law.

Might try hitch hiking.
I wanted to get a one-way rental about 6 months ago and I couldn't find anyone in Nashville that offered the service anymore. I was expecting them to just to tack on a ridiculous fee to just drop it off at the next stop and was more than prepared to pay for it. But I wasn't able to find any agency that did it.

We used to (1970s) go to a cople of beautiful waterfalls that were a few hundred feet apart. Not a lot of water but very high.We called them "twin falls". I don't recall if they were in Putnam or Jackson County, but they were on private property. The people didn't mind if you parked near their home and walked across their land. I can't find it on google maps.
You familiar with those falls? That was a half century ago so the current owners might want to keep people away.

I own 250 acres of land with partners that is in the Greenbelt. We are selling it in 6 tracts, and our contract provides that the buyer will keep it in the greenbelt. Otherwise there are Rollback taxes.
TN counties are not consistent when it comes to interpreting the greenbelt law.

Jackson County is riddled with hidden gem waterfalls. Ours just happens to be readily accessible and went into the state park system. Prior to that we did not post or restrict access and there was a roadside pathway away from the houses. It's not a twin Falls though and is only about 80 foot high at the overflow. The surrounding bluffs are quite high, pushing 300 feet prob in some places. My niece and some of her friends used to trek to alot of the type falls in Jackson County you are referrring to. Most don't mind if you take care of your visit. i'm not aware specifically of which one you are referring to. Jackson County is fantastic for outdoor lovers to get out and explore these things. Falls and vistas are abundant. You can be driving north on the highway that goes through Dodson Branch through rolling pasture and in an instant you are on high ridges that go down to roaring river and back to Gainesboro. I'm more of a transplant so I don't know the crooks and crannies. Dad was from here, but I was born and raised in GA when he worked for UGA. I can walk across road to our small field and look back over Cookeville for miles. And can walk 60 feet behind the house to the bluff and view our falls. I spent more time at the falls visiting than I ever have living on top of it. Funny how that works.

You should also look for Virgin Falls area in White County. Mile or so hump in. Between Sparta and Pikeville. Then you get to a small, wide falls about 20 feet high that lands in a disappearing pool. The water comes up from a spring at the top and only travels a very short distance. We would drink right from the source where it came up. Good day hike outing. I've heard Standing Stone up around Hilham in North Putnam, maybe Overton is quite nice. Never been. Putnam's topography is also diverse. I'm sure alot of this spills over to them. Especially on the east and north areas.

Edit: You got any idea which area of the the counties you might have been on those twin falls?

Last edited:
Jackson County is riddled with hidden gem waterfalls. Ours just happens to be readily accessible and went into the state park system. Prior to that we did not post or restrict access and there was a roadside pathway away from the houses. It's not a twin Falls though and is only about 80 foot high at the overflow. The surrounding bluffs are quite high, pushing 300 feet prob in some places. My niece and some of her friends used to trek to alot of the type falls in Jackson County you are referrring to. Most don't mind if you take care of your visit. i'm not aware specifically of which one you are referring to. Jackson County is fantastic for outdoor lovers to get out and explore these things. Falls and vistas are abundant. You can be driving north on the highway that goes through Dodson Branch through rolling pasture and in an instant you are on high ridges that go down to roaring river and back to Gainesboro. I'm more of a transplant so I don't know the crooks and crannies. Dad was from here, but I was born and raised in GA when he worked for UGA. I can walk across road to our small field and look back over Cookeville for miles. And can walk 60 feet behind the house to the bluff and view our falls. I spent more time at the falls visiting than I ever have living on top of it. Funny how that works.

You should also look for Virgin Falls area in White County. Mile or so hump in. Between Sparta and Pikeville. Then you get to a small, wide falls about 20 feet high that lands in a disappearing pool. The water comes up from a spring at the top and only travels a very short distance. We would drink right from the source where it came up. Good day hike outing. I've heard Standing Stone up around Hilham in North Putnam, maybe Overton is quite nice. Never been. Putnam's topography is also diverse. I'm sure alot of this spills over to them. Especially on the east and north areas.

Edit: You got any idea which area of the the counties you might have been on those twin falls?

Sorry, I called a friend who still lives in Cookeville, and he said he thought the falls are now part of a state natural area or park. He doesn't know what they are called. He was also unclear as to which county they are in, Putnam, Overton or Jackson.
As you said the terrain there is right for waterfalls and fantastic views.
If you haven't seen it Ozone falls near Crab Orchard just past Crossville and near I-40 is a nice one.

Sorry, I called a friend who still lives in Cookeville, and he said he thought the falls are now part of a state natural area or park. He doesn't know what they are called. He was also unclear as to which county they are in, Putnam, Overton or Jackson.
As you said the terrain there is right for waterfalls and fantastic views.
If you haven't seen it Ozone falls near Crab Orchard just past Crossville and near I-40 is a nice one.

Oh. Then you are prob recalling what is now Standing Stone Park in Overton, close to Livingston I think. Hilham area possibly. Prety sure there a "twin" falls there.

Edit: THat's not it.

Last edited:
Oh. Then you are prob recalling what is now Standing Stone Park in Overton, close to Livingston I think. Hilham area possibly. Prety sure there a "twin" falls there.

Edit: THat's not it.

Well, talked to someone else who said they are on private property. Trespassers not welcome.

VN Store

Back