Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Why would we want Beard anyway ? He plays the same kind of defensive minded gameplan as Barnes. I thought all the posters that want Barnes gone, want an offensive minded coach like our football and baseball teams. That defense might win regular seasons game, but is boring as hell and doesn't work in the Tournament. At least, that seems to be the general consensus among the Barnes needs to be fired/forced into retirement crowd. Yeah, Beard shouldn't be a candidate even without his closet full of skeletons

Reactions: cardvolfan
Gotta love the posters justifying hiring a woman beater.

That’ll show everyone we’re serious.

Why would we want Beard anyway ? He plays the same kind of defensive minded gameplan as Barnes. I thought all the posters that want Barnes gone, want an offensive minded coach like our football and baseball teams. That defense might win regular seasons game, but is boring as hell and doesn't work in the Tournament. At least, that seems to be the general consensus among the Barnes needs to be fired/forced into retirement crowd. Yeah, Beard shouldn't be a candidate even without his closet full of skeletons

Barnes needs to work on his offense, we need a guard that can drive the lane and either get to the basket for a score or draw a foul. He needs someone that can play some 1 on 1 basketball. He plays too much on the perimeter.

Reactions: Vol737 and BisonVol
Barnes needs to work on his offense, we need a guard that can drive the lane and either get to the basket for a score or draw a foul. He needs someone that can play some 1 on 1 basketball. He plays too much on the perimeter.
I agree. Can you imagine Brandon Miller on this Vols team ? Miller would be the missing piece, imo. The go to guy that can drive, shoot the 3 and get to the foul line. Strictly, basketball-wise, perfect fit, don't wanna get into all that legal stuff

Well… we do have high level talent on this team. JP would start pretty much everywhere else too. Unfortunately, he was injured. Most metrics sites agree that he is the most important player on our roster - even Bama doesn’t have a “high level” guy to come in at wing if Brandon Miller can’t go one night.

Which is why Miller is still playing despite giving the murder weapon to a teammate. I guess the gun belong to another excuses his actions.

If it was TN then it would be on every network
24-7. I’m surprised Bama isn’t under heavier scrutiny.

Reactions: feathersax
To bring up this discussion when it's not even post season play just goes to show you that this fanbase has a bunch of casual fans.

You lose one game and it's always "fire him". Idiots got Fulmer fired after going to Atlanta and look how long it took us to recover.

As far as I'm concerned, this is Barnes's team until he la ready to retire OR, big OR, if the wheels just come falling off horribly.

Barnes brought up a poverty program that didn't have much history in men's basketball. He's established it into a very respectable brand. He has a winning record against Kentucky, has UT in the top 25 most of the time, just won the SECT last season, continues to recruit at a high level and keeps us out of trouble.

Yes, he has a terrible post season record, but so has Tennessee even before Barnes. I want a natty but it's not a realistic expectation for Tennessee since we haven't even been to a final 4. Barnes definitely should be able to get us there but don't act like we belong in that territory

When the time comes to find a new coach, this is who I'm targeting.

1. Brad Underwood
2. Fran McCaffery
3. Nate Oats
4. Chris Beard
5. Scott Drew
6. Eric Muss
7. Dennis Gates
8. Dusty May
9. Stan Johnson
10. Promote within

To bring up this discussion when it's not even post season play just goes to show you that this fanbase has a bunch of casual fans.

You lose one game and it's always "fire him". Idiots got Fulmer fired after going to Atlanta and look how long it took us to recover.

As far as I'm concerned, this is Barnes's team until he la ready to retire OR, big OR, if the wheels just come falling off horribly.

Barnes brought up a poverty program that didn't have much history in men's basketball. He's established it into a very respectable brand. He has a winning record against Kentucky, has UT in the top 25 most of the time, just won the SECT last season, continues to recruit at a high level and keeps us out of trouble.

Yes, he has a terrible post season record, but so has Tennessee even before Barnes. I want a natty but it's not a realistic expectation for Tennessee since we haven't even been to a final 4. Barnes definitely should be able to get us there but don't act like we belong in that territory

1. Brad Underwood
2. Fran McCaffery
3. Nate Oats
4. Chris Beard
5. Scott Drew
6. Eric Muss
7. Dennis Gates
8. Dusty May
9. Stan Johnson
10. Promote within

We can remove 3 and 4 from the list.

1. Brad Underwood
2. Fran McCaffery
3. Nate Oats
4. Chris Beard
5. Scott Drew
6. Eric Muss
7. Dennis Gates
8. Dusty May
9. Stan Johnson
10. Promote within

5 and 6 are the best on that list, but it would be tough for either. I’m not thrilled with 1 and 2. McCaffrey is the anti-Barnes- does not coach defense and is a big hot head.

1. Brad Underwood
2. Fran McCaffery
3. Nate Oats
4. Chris Beard
5. Scott Drew
6. Eric Muss
7. Dennis Gates
8. Dusty May
9. Stan Johnson
10. Promote within

This is your Top 10, or like this is the best you think we can do Top 10?

Underwood & McCaffery have been worse than Barnes in the NCAAT, fans would hate that.

Oats is under a lot of scrutiny, let’s see how that dust settles.

Beard beats woman, no thanks.

5&6 ok.

Gates has proven absolutely nothing.

Johnson never been to a NCAAT, no thanks.

And hell no to promoting within.

Which is why Miller is still playing despite giving the murder weapon to a teammate. I guess the gun belong to another excuses his actions.

If it was TN then it would be on every network
24-7. I’m surprised Bama isn’t under heavier scrutiny.
Uhhh have you turned on your TV, computer, or phone the last two days? Bama has been under a TON of scrutiny from basically everyone.

Reactions: EasternVol
That's just this year. It's not a recurring issue.

1. Brad Underwood
2. Fran McCaffery
3. Nate Oats
4. Chris Beard
5. Scott Drew
6. Eric Muss
7. Dennis Gates
8. Dusty May
9. Stan Johnson
10. Promote within

There’s absolutely no way DW pursues Oats after handling the murder situation so poorly.

Beard? Woman beater who’s a hot head.

Scott Drew has it made at Baylor.

Half of this list isn’t even considered an “upgrade” over Barnes.

Reactions: EasternVol

1. Brad Underwood
2. Fran McCaffery
3. Nate Oats
4. Chris Beard
5. Scott Drew
6. Eric Muss
7. Dennis Gates
8. Dusty May
9. Stan Johnson
10. Promote within

So Barnes can stay until he has to wheeled out on the court in a wheelchair because he’s so old as long as he make the tourney every year?

Reactions: Native Orange

VN Store

Back