East Tennessee Weather II

I had a gut feeling this Winter would be super light on the snow and it’s looking that way. We had the one snow on 12/26 but I think that’s going to be it this time. What do you all that know way more than I do think? Do you think we’re done this Winter as far as snow or do you think we get something late Feb or in March?

We’re very much due a snowy Winter. I think we will get one in the next 2-3 years.

I had a gut feeling this Winter would be super light on the snow and it’s looking that way. We had the one snow on 12/26 but I think that’s going to be it this time. What do you all that know way more than I do think? Do you think we’re done this Winter as far as snow or do you think we get something late Feb or in March?

We’re very much due a snowy Winter. I think we will get one in the next 2-3 years.
I bet we get at least one snow by the middle of March.

~Severe Weather Bulletin~

There is a Slight risk for strong to severe thunderstorms for the plateau and Chattanooga (and surrounding areas of Chattanooga), and there is a Marginal risk for the western half of the valley (including Knoxville) this evening.

Timing: Between 5 and 10 PM EST

Impacts:

1. The primary threat is damaging winds in excess of 60 mph.
2. A brief tornado or 2 is possible, especially in the plateau.
3. Flooding is also a concern.

IWDXvlw_

Tornado data by county spotlighted by health department - WBBJ TV

Nashville, Dickson, and Memphis are the targets apparently.

My county, Hamblen, sitting at 3. Does anyone know the ratings for the Hamblen County tornados?

I'd say the population density and much more limited radars (from 1950-1990 especially) probably led to the higher numbers for Nashville and Memphis....

I'm going to post my thoughts on Friday's system tomorrow morning. I'm thinking about changing the format of my severe weather bulletins/alerts/outbreak. Here's an example of what I'm thinking right now:

[Severe Weather Alert]

Severe risk and locations: Slight (Plateau, Southern and Central Valley), Marginal (Northeast TN, Mountains, and Foothills)

Timing: 3-6PM Plateau, 4-7PM Valley, 5-8PM Northeast TN and Mountains

Damaging Wind Threat: Medium (Winds in excess of 60 mph)
Hail Threat: Low (up to Quarter size)
Tornado Threat: Very Low (An isolated tornado can't be ruled out)
Flooding Threat: Medium (1-2 inches is expected, with locally higher amounts possible)

VK's thoughts:

What do you guys think about this format?

[Severe Weather Alert]

Severe risk and locations: Slight (All of East TN)

Timing: The timing has some uncertainty, but right now I would say between midday and late afternoon.

Damaging Wind Threat: High (Winds in excess of 70mph are possible)

Hail threat: Very Low (If any Hail occurs, it will be in the pea to penny size)

Tornado Threat: Low (If enough instability is present, a couple tornadoes are possible)

Flooding Threat: High (With the ground already saturated, it won't take much for water to rise in flood prone areas especially)

VK's thoughts: I will post something here later when I have a chance.

The just cancelled Knox County Schools for tomorrow due to the weather potential.

VN Store

Back