Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

I'd have to look, but I think a lot of the buildings that used to have White Stores are still held by a real estate company that references White Stores or something like that.

I don’t remember White Stores being those other two between becoming Food City. I think that Food Lion became Red Food and Bi-Lo. The Bi-Lo spot at Peters and KP was later a Food City iirc. But I think that Food City might have just taken over the space.

maybe they weren’t bought out, just new stores moved in? The one I remember was on clinton hwy. its now a food city, but i coulda swore it was a Bi-Lo at one point.

Either way, i grew up in south knox. Our options were Cas Walkers and Winn-Dixie

maybe they weren’t bought out, just new stores moved in? The one I remember was on clinton hwy. its now a food city, but i coulda swore it was a Bi-Lo at one point.

Either way, i grew up in south knox. Our options were Cas Walkers and Winn-Dixie

White Stores were sold to K-VA-T which is Food City. Red Food (based in Chattanooga) sold to Bi-Lo which sold some stores to K-VA-T.

Ahold is a foreign company that has bought or owns Giant, Food Lion, Bi-Lo, and Red.

Before all of the transactions, Bi-Lo was based in FL, Food Lion in NC, Red in Chattanooga, Food City in VA, and White Stores in Knoxville. The 2 entities today are K-VA-T (Food City) and Ahold (the others) is based in the Netherlands.

White Realty is the real estate company that emerged from White Stores.

I spent a lot of my allowance money at White Way buying comic books and Topps baseball cards (with that horrible stick of gum). The big SweeTarts were favorites as well.
I licked a lot of those Green Stamps when I was a kid.

*The White Store in Clinton changed to a Food City sometime in the 80s. Food City built a new building in the same location a few years ago

Reactions: MAD
There was a White Store on the corner of Merchant Dr and Clinton Hwy up to 2003. Tim Graham (Graham Corporation) bought the property, demolished the White Store building, and built a retail strip, called Merchants Corner, there.

Graham owns land here and there in NW Knox and over in the Washington Pike area. His big boondoggle was a big retail complex he was going to develop around the Expo Center site. That was supposed to break ground 7-8 years ago but never got anywhere. He still is trying to sell the old Kroger building there.

Last edited:
I haven't been through there to look, but the Stefano's/Ruby Tuesday's buildings on Cumberland Ave. are likely gone now. The demolition began last Wednesday, Feb. 15.

Last edited:
I can remember White Stores up through the 80s. One at Cumberland Estates at least around to 85-86.

Wayward- where was that White Store located?

The Food City in the Cumberland Estates Center strip mall closed last year. FC had built a new location up at Schaad Rd and Oak Ridge Hwy. Cumberland Estates lost their Krogers a number of years ago, so that FC was the last grocery left in the area.

Wayward- where was that White Store located?

The Food City in the Cumberland Estates Center strip mall closed last year. FC had built a new location up at Schaad Rd and Oak Ridge Hwy. Cumberland Estates lost their Krogers a number of years ago, so that FC was the last grocery left in the area.
In the Cumberland Estates strip center
It may have been a Whiteway, but same group.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ted
I licked a lot of those Green Stamps when I was a kid.

*The White Store in Clinton changed to a Food City sometime in the 80s. Food City built a new building in the same location a few years ago
When I would visit my grandparents in Knoxville in the 60's we would go to the green stamp store somewhere on Kingston pike and use our green stamps and
it seems to me that is was maybe near the crispy cream donut place, or somewhere close by there.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM and MAD
When I would visit my grandparents in Knoxville in the 60's we would go to the green stamp store somewhere on Kingston pike and use our green stamps and
it seems to me that is was maybe near the crispy cream donut place, or somewhere close by there.

It was in the corner of Bearden Center (White Store/Food City). A block east of Northshore Drive at KP. Top Value was about a mile to 2 miles west on Kingston Pike before the Gallery and West Town. Between the Deane Hill and West Hills neighborhoods. Both buildings are still there.

Reactions: Vjcvette and MAD
It was in the corner of Bearden Center (White Store/Food City). A block east of Northshore Drive at KP. Top Value was about a mile to 2 miles west on Kingston Pike before the Gallery and West Town. Between the Deane Hill and West Hills neighborhoods. Both buildings are still there.
As a kid mom would take us to Green Stamp store and then if I remember right there was a bakery in the shopping center. Mom sometimes would buy a cake or some sweets.

Reactions: MAD

VN Store

Back