What are your personal thoughts on current College Baseball Bravado?

So as we can tell you have two varying degrees. Have fun versus play the game the right way. I see both sides. I’m somewhere in the middle. I know we better figure out how to treat umpires. Oh, it’s gonna be another long season because word on the street is they have decided if we came out with the same antics this year that we will not win

So as we can tell you have two varying degrees. Have fun versus play the game the right way. I see both sides. I’m somewhere in the middle. I know we better figure out how to treat umpires. Oh, it’s gonna be another long season because word on the street is they have decided if we came out with the same antics this year that we will not win

I’m right there. My dad used to say, “act like you been there before.” All the time. I’m inclined to go with it. OTOH, I get emotion can get the best of ya sometimes. Situational awareness, I guess, kinda dictates things to a degree, then it becomes, did i embarrass anyone? To be later followed with…” I wish I hadn’t done that”.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I'm too old school as a player from the 70's I think, but I am also a Dad of the 2010 and 2020 type ball players to know that there's way more emotion demonstrated in the game today than in my day. Most pitchers would still earhole a kid for showing him up after a homerun, but we just did it in a less deliberate sort of way I guess. I'm not judging. My youngest son's summer team wore a catcher out for wearing knee savers in a tournament and we didn't even know what those were in my day. But..................the umpires are closer to my age than they are my boys. You gotta read the room.

I have to edit to say that I was the third base coach when my oldest son hit his first home run. He was rounding the bases skipping and jumping and pumping his fists in the air. When he got to third I told him to put his damn hands down and make sure you step on home plate Showboat. He was 11 I think. lol

Last edited:
Base hits and single out plays will be permitted to be celebrated with a single nod of respect from one player to the next. Home runs and multiple out plays will be permitted a golf clap not to exceed 10 seconds. No hitters will get one “huzzah” after conclusion of the game and perfect games can have a “hip hip hooray”. Fans will be required to sign and maintain a vow of silence for the duration of the game. Violations result in suspensions for players and bans for fans. It’s what Abner Doubleday would have wanted.

Personally, I'm not a fan. Then again I grew up in an era that showing up a pitcher got you or your teammate ear holed or you slide in spikes up. Play the game hard, but hats/coats aren't part of the game as I knew it growing up. Not a fan.

Unfortunately it’s part of the new age of baseball. It got the green light in the MLB from Bautista, Tatis, etc. and has trickled down from there.

Social media clout (and maybe sponsorship $$$) are also contributing factors.
I agree.
New Age of Baseball.
Poor Johnny give him a participation trophy and move on. We are turning men into mommy's boy.
Talking Crap and talking back is part of the game. There is a limit but.....?

Woke crowd now into Baseball.
Baseball has always been this way, talking and jawing.
It is part of the game and always has been.
Yet here we go again

I’m right there. My dad used to say, “act like you been there before.” All the time. I’m inclined to go with it. OTOH, I get emotion can get the best of ya sometimes. Situational awareness, I guess, kinda dictates things to a degree, then it becomes, did i embarrass anyone? To be later followed with…” I wish I hadn’t done that”.
I can still hear my dad say "let your play do your talking". He used Bjorn Borg as the reference standard of a champion... Ice cold... No emotion.

yep, probably some of the best sports moments I've seen, and I'm not a huge tennis guy but when they played, I typically watched.

Borg was incredibly athletic physically and emotionally. When he was in his prime, he had a resting heartrate of 38. Patient, confident, incredibly conditioned... He could absolutely wear down the best of them.

....and what I would call excessive celebration or outrage over nothing.

First take off the orange glasses.

Second, I realize this may have been talked about ad nauseum last year as this is one of the things Vol Baseball became known for.

Thirdly, all teams do this to an extent, so I am not just picking on us. GCU was like this yesterday.

Emotion is awesome (not talking about that), but I just don’t get (and I am speaking in general here) when any college baseball player hits a double in the third inning of a meaningless game…and then must do 10 seconds worth of hand gestures, fist pumps, and dancing towards their team, the other team, and the fans. It’s just weird, embarrassing, bush league, and juvenile to me.

For me, you show more swag by acting like you’ve done it before. I guess I’m used to seeing players methodically taking off their batting gloves and standing on second base locked in when the camera cuts to them after a decent hit…not 6 fist pumps, telling the other team to suck it, and F u, and then cheer leading the crowd.

I think all the antics can be a distraction sometimes when the games within the game become bigger than the game itself.
I'm with you. Arrogance is the norm now I suppose. Didn't see any of the games, but will assume your descriptions are right on considering last year's team.

Yes they were. Borg retired too early.

I hate to say it, because Borg was the epitome of cool tennis greatness, but I think he retired because he feared
McEnroe would keep beating him and take over as the sport's top dog. I'll have to check, but I think McEnroe won
the last match they played....

I agree.
New Age of Baseball.
Poor Johnny give him a participation trophy and move on. We are turning men into mommy's boy.
Talking Crap and talking back is part of the game. There is a limit but.....?

Woke crowd now into Baseball.
Baseball has always been this way, talking and jawing.
It is part of the game and always has been.
Yet here we go again

You're completely wrong, Ace. You know what would happen to guys in MLB if they did some of the over-the-top s--t that we did last year? They'd get beaned next time up to bat. Fact. It's called being a professional.

If you are gonna dish that attitude out, you better be willing to take it when those people you dis, hit you twice as hard. Play as hard as you can every play. Confident yes, stupid demeaning words and antics are a no no. While I loved the way Gilbert played hard every day, I did not like him berating opponents and umpires. The team rallied around him. Vitello said he grew the program. All well and good, but you live by sword, you die by the sword. Prime example, Gilbert and Anderson getting ejected vs the Irish. Arguably your best player and pitching coach a pivotal game. Ignorant. That being said, I have no problem with celebrating. Celebrate all you want with your team and for your team.

I want more antics, trash talk and confidence between teams and players.There's a reason why there was a lot of excitement and noise around the baseball team last year. You can say we looked foolish, but we won alot of games, and did so in exciting fashion. We were SEC season and tournament champs. If we would have won the whole thing last year, we would have been the best team in history and confidently so. That's how you do it. Leave no room for doubt. Tell them you are better than them, give them all the motivation in the world to beat you, and still dominate them.

Tiger Woods was one of the first to show fire and emotion in golf. Think how many millions became golf fans bc of Tiger. When he’s in contention on a Sunday, viewership expands exponentially. The 2022 BaseVols were the Tiger Woods of College Baseball. The 2023 version is going to figure out their identity, but everyone wants to BEAT them. They have a huge target on their back and will hear lots of chirping from the opposing dugout all season (see AZ and GCU).

Tiger Woods was one of the first to show fire and emotion in golf. Think how many millions became golf fans bc of Tiger. When he’s in contention on a Sunday, viewership expands exponentially. The 2022 BaseVols were the Tiger Woods of College Baseball. The 2023 version is going to figure out their identity, but everyone wants to BEAT them. They have a huge target on their back and will hear lots of chirping from the opposing dugout all season (see AZ and GCU).

I think that’s a great point! He changed the entire perception of golf to the casual sports fan. However, it’s an individual sport. He ain’t gonna get a club to the head for showing up Rory.

I think that’s a great point! He changed the entire perception of golf to the casual sports fan. However, it’s an individual sport. He ain’t gonna get a club to the head for showing up Rory.
One thing that never occurred last year was a beaning in retaliation for our antics. It seems like College Baseball is getting a “let the kids play” mentality vs old school “act like you’ve been there“. Bravado, swagger, and celebrating (without disrespecting your opponent) brings in viewers and grows the game IMHO. There’s a reason TN was the most watched program in 2022.

One thing that never occurred last year was a beaning in retaliation for our antics. It seems like College Baseball is getting a “let the kids play” mentality vs old school “act like you’ve been there“. Bravado, swagger, and celebrating (without disrespecting your opponent) brings in viewers and grows the game IMHO. There’s a reason TN was the most watched program in 2022.

I agree, but the umps, they did. That was obvious and I think what. @preacherman20 is saying is our reputation from last year proceeds us now.

I can see both sides of this debate, I’m not particularly partial to either side in this one.

VN Store

Back