Friday weigh in thread (suns out guns out challenge 8/30/24)

Jan 6 - 155.6
Jan 13 - 152.8
Jan 20 - 151.9
Jan 26 - 151.3
Feb 3 - 150.3
Feb 10 - 148.4

-1.9 is not what I was aiming for. I was actually trying to find my maintenance this week. Looks like I need to eat a bit more. Oh no, how awful… 😁

Jan 6 - 155.6
Jan 13 - 152.8
Jan 20 - 151.9
Jan 26 - 151.3
Feb 3 - 150.3
Feb 10 - 148.4

-1.9 is not what I was aiming for. I was actually trying to find my maintenance this week. Looks like I need to eat a bit more. Oh no, how awful… 😁
boo-boo-this-man.gif

j/k, j/k - I understand what you're doing, and thumbs up to you!

Trying to get in the game here. I figured the clock is ticking if I want to go into my 50's in decent shape. I turned 47 in Nov, I'm 5'8 and started around 180. I had an initial target of 155, but will use the eye test if/when I get there to see if I need to go further. My plan involves a ~1200 calorie diet Sunday-Friday and daily exercise (20 minutes on elliptical + walks with my dog). I drink only water all day with the exception of 1 cup of black coffee in the morning. I weigh in on Saturday mornings with Saturday being my cheat day. I've managed to be extremely disciplined, no cheating at all, pretty much just embracing the suck as penance for a lifetime of eating junk.

Here is my progress after 6 weeks:
2-Jan 178 (started my plan)
8-Jan 170
14-Jan 169
21-Jan 166
28-Jan 165
4-Feb 163
11-Feb 160

At this rate I have 2, maybe 3 weeks left to reach my goal. As it gets within sight, I'm starting to think losing the weight is the easy part, maintaining it will be the real challenge, but 1 step at a time.

Good luck to everyone else, this thread had been helpful and inspiring. Thanks and Go Vols!

@imw8n4u
I agree that’s good work.
Is it a diet plan, counting calories or lifestyle change?
Thanks. I jumped in at post 4631. If you want specifics of my daily schedule I'm happy to share. This is working well for me, but I'm not sure it would be right for everyone, it's been a pretty miserable couple of months. My wife has been especially proud that I have maintained such discipline, especially with her eating normal right in front of me.

Thanks. I jumped in at post 4631. If you want specifics of my daily schedule I'm happy to share. This is working well for me, but I'm not sure it would be right for everyone, it's been a pretty miserable couple of months. My wife has been especially proud that I have maintained such discipline, especially with her eating normal right in front of me.
That’s why I asked. I tried counting calories and it worked great to get me to a desired weight. Recently I've cleaned up the diet some as well in an attempt to make the mirror more reflective of the effort. What I’m attempting to do is find things that I enjoy as much as the things I’ve cut out so that it doesn’t require “suffering” to maintain.
I guess I’m just curious what works for others.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
I like how straightforward this is. No gimmicks in either intake or exercise. My plan is very similar (40 "active zone" minutes + minimum 250 steps/hr for ten or more hrs/day + total 6000+ steps per day per the Fitibit) with 1400 calories, but I seem to have missed the insanely disciplined part... I've lost not quite 30 pounds, but it was over a helluva lot longer interval than seven weeks. :p

Last edited:

Nice. Congrats!

Trying to get in the game here. I figured the clock is ticking if I want to go into my 50's in decent shape. I turned 47 in Nov, I'm 5'8 and started around 180. I had an initial target of 155, but will use the eye test if/when I get there to see if I need to go further. My plan involves a ~1200 calorie diet Sunday-Friday and daily exercise (20 minutes on elliptical + walks with my dog). I drink only water all day with the exception of 1 cup of black coffee in the morning. I weigh in on Saturday mornings with Saturday being my cheat day. I've managed to be extremely disciplined, no cheating at all, pretty much just embracing the suck as penance for a lifetime of eating junk.

Here is my progress after 6 weeks:
2-Jan 178 (started my plan)
8-Jan 170
14-Jan 169
21-Jan 166
28-Jan 165
4-Feb 163
11-Feb 160

At this rate I have 2, maybe 3 weeks left to reach my goal. As it gets within sight, I'm starting to think losing the weight is the easy part, maintaining it will be the real challenge, but 1 step at a time.

Good luck to everyone else, this thread had been helpful and inspiring. Thanks and Go Vols!

As someone who lost 75 pounds in almost a year, maintaining has been much easier than losing weight. You have already developed healthy habits through your diet. You just do the same but are able to eat a little bit more.

It looks like we have similar frames. Currently, I’m 5’9” 150 lbs. To maintain this weight, I would eat somewhere between 1700 and 2000 calories per day. I track it very loosely. And on Saturday, I eat anything I want. I often go crazy. Then I weigh myself again on Tuesday to make sure I didn’t go too overboard on Saturday. After a cheat day, it’s not helpful to weigh yourself within the next two days because it’s mostly water weight. When maintaining, you have much more freedom. I find it much easier.

As someone who lost 75 pounds in almost a year, maintaining has been much easier than losing weight. You have already developed healthy habits through your diet. You just do the same but are able to eat a little bit more.

It looks like we have similar frames. Currently, I’m 5’9” 150 lbs. To maintain this weight, I would eat somewhere between 1700 and 2000 calories per day. I track it very loosely. And on Saturday, I eat anything I want. I often go crazy. Then I weigh myself again on Tuesday to make sure I didn’t go too overboard on Saturday. After a cheat day, it’s not helpful to weigh yourself within the next two days because it’s mostly water weight. When maintaining, you have much more freedom. I find it much easier.
I like this weighing schedule. I need to cut down the number of times I'm on the scale.

--I'm on a diuretic (and ace inhibitor) for high blood pressure, so I don't usually have much in the way of water weight fluctuations, but it does happen some, especially if I let my salt frenzy loose.

That’s why I asked. I tried counting calories and it worked great to get me to a desired weight. Recently I've cleaned up the diet some as well in an attempt to make the mirror more reflective of the effort. What I’m attempting to do is find things that I enjoy as much as the things I’ve cut out so that it doesn’t require “suffering” to maintain.
I guess I’m just curious what works for others.
I have been eating Special K protein meal bars (190 calories ea) for breakfast, so I decided to make them the foundation of my plan.

08:00 Meal bar+1 cup black coffee+multi vitamin
10:00 Banana
11:00 Equate daily fiber, 2 scoops
12:00 meal bar
14:00 5 baby carrots
15:00 Equate daily fiber
16:00 meal bar
18:00 1 hard boiled egg
19:00 4oz Canteloupe
20:00 meal bar

Nothing else but water all day, probably drinking about a gallon a day.

This adds up to about 1200 calories per day. I like that I get to ingest something almost every hour between 8 and 8. I work from home which makes it easy to stay on schedule, but I also deal with the temptation of the pantry all day.

@VolNExile I was absolutely hypertensive before starting this, but started taking my BP as well. The last couple of weeks it's around 112/73 now, almost all due to reduced sodium intake.

VN Store

Back