'24 GA TE Jonathan Echols (USF commit)

I know the recruiting process is a weird one, but I’ve never understood the desire to commit early if you aren’t 100% locked in on your choice. Like, he committed before the season even began. I’m not sure how what he saw this year wouldn’t make him even more excited to play in this offense and be a Vol.

It’s not abnormal. This stuff happens. But, I just wish kids would hold off rather than do this. There is no rush to jump in the boat early with his type of talent if you are a bit uncertain.

I know the recruiting process is a weird one, but I’ve never understood the desire to commit early if you aren’t 100% locked in on your choice. Like, he committed before the season even began. I’m not sure how what he saw this year wouldn’t make him even more excited to play in this offense and be a Vol.

It’s not abnormal. This stuff happens. But, I just wish kids would hold off rather than do this. There is no rush to jump in the boat early with his type of talent if you are a bit uncertain.

His primary recruiter and position coach is no longer on staff

The 2024 tight end commit returned to IMG Academy last night to start preparing for his senior season. Joey Halzle has picked up communication here with the elite prospect since Alex Golesh’s departure and the two have connected well while talking daily. Echols has always maintained he would take some visits this off season and potentially during his senior season, and that still remains the plan, but he wants the first one to be Tennessee once Josh Heupel makes a hire. Will have a full update out later on.

- Matt Ray, VQ

So he’s committed but still going to take his visits. Guess we need to continue recruiting TEs.
Until the ink is dry you keep recruiting. Dont need to be like Dooley or Pruitt going all in on one kid, and when he falls through at some point you dont have a legit back up plan.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Echols likes the OC news…

1672946186398-png.293131

“I am still locked in with the Vols. Nothing has really changed there. The relationship I have with the head man and just the building blocks under him, I would say everything is good.
When Echols chose the Vols in July, he knew even then there was a chance Golesh would not be his future position coach on Rocky Top. Still, he saw the potential of Josh Heupel’s offensive attack and still does. “I definitely still see it,” Echols said on this. “Really, just when the new tight ends coach comes in, just being able to build a new relationship with him, but it is still going to be the same offense and everything. I mean, Coach Heup ran the offense as well.
“I still might take some other visits, but I am not totally sure where at the moment,” Echols said of these plans. “Tennessee is most likely going to be the school I visit first, but I am not sure what other schools I am going to go to after that.”
-VQ

No problems with this kid's approach. He's still a Vol. He's waiting to see who the new coach will be and he's actively building a relationship with Halzle. There's plenty of time for both parties here. If he's not meshing well with the TE coach hire and no longer feels that comfort level at UT then he will look around. I feel good about where it stands now though.

VN Store

Back