Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because LV sports are very political at UT, and many believe she can turn it around and has earned the opportunity to do so. And Kellie is a former player who won three NCs, played for Pat, is beloved in the community and has a large, loud contingent of backers. The minute you talk about replacing her, there are battle lines drawn. So many sensitive issues to address, including diversity and LV legacy, and different opinions on who to hire. Many think some issues shouldn't be issues, but they are.

I agree with this assessment. But it is rooted in the past. The yesteryear contingent that does this stuff also have ulterior motives - they want privileges including access and accept less than the best to keep them.

The choice is simple. Continue to pretend to honor Pat by hiring her coaching tree while watching the program slowly fall into the Louisiana Tech type ash heap of women's basketball history, but keep the yesteryear contingent happy in the process.

Or go hire the best available and kick it into gear like the men's basketball, football and baseball programs. Winning fixes everything.

There is enough money to do the later. Only a small amount of the yesteryear contingent will walk away despite threats and those who do will be replaced by younger fans. TBA needs to be full again for the LVs. If they stay with the same ole same ole they are just telling everybody they are deemphasizing THE marquee women's sport.

Getting a single 5-star that no other major program is recruiting is shaping up to be a historic day for South Carolina football 😂

Who is the player? If no other major program is seriously recruiting the player, what is the story on the kid? Obviously, there must be MAJOR red flags if no other major program is recruiting him.

I agree with this assessment. But it is rooted in the past. The yesteryear contingent that does this stuff also have ulterior motives - they want privileges including access and accept less than the best to keep them.

The choice is simple. Continue to pretend to honor Pat by hiring her coaching tree while watching the program slowly fall into the Louisiana Tech type ash heap of women's basketball history, but keep the yesteryear contingent happy in the process.

Or go hire the best available and kick it into gear like the men's basketball, football and baseball programs. Winning fixes everything.

There is enough money to do the later. Only a small amount of the yesteryear contingent will walk away despite threats and those who do will be replaced by younger fans. TBA needs to be full again for the LVs. If they stay with the same ole same ole they are just telling everybody they are deemphasizing THE marquee women's sport.
Okay that last part resonates, when I was a student in the 90s (I did my capstone class with Michelle Marceniak) 😂 I remember the LadyVols games being packed and then people would leave when it was time for the men to play.. no joke

Who is the player? If no other major program is seriously recruiting the player, what is the story on the kid? Obviously, there must be MAJOR red flags if no other major program is recruiting him.
Would assume Nyckoles Harbor. No red flags, just think he doesn’t project to a specific position at next level (from what I’ve read over the months) which is what made many back off. Crazy athlete tho.

Also last I’ve read Oregon, Michigan, Miami, Maryland are all pursuing.

Reactions: Govolsman98
Would assume Nyckoles Harbor. No red flags, just think he doesn’t project to a specific position at next level (from what I’ve read over the months) which is what made many back off. Crazy athlete tho.

It’s Harbor. I agree, no red flags. Have heard he wants to play WR/TE. Not really a fan of contact. Apparently freaky fast though.

Reactions: MarcoVol

I don't buy that. If the kid is listed as a 5-star athlete the only way that I could see him not projecting at some position is if he had never played the game of football before. Even then, scouts have been able to project basketball players and track stars into positions in football.

Also, your list of schools shows that major programs are actively pursuing him, so the premise of the original post to which I was responding was false.

I don't buy that. If the kid is listed as a 5-star athlete the only way that I could see him not projecting at some position is if he had never played the game of football before. Even then, scouts have been able to project basketball players and track stars into positions in football.

Just telling ya what I’ve read. Someone else responded and said he wanted to play WR/TE so maybe other programs didn’t want him at that position.

Or maybe those 5 schools just out-recruited everybody

Okay that last part resonates, when I was a student in the 90s (I did my capstone class with Michelle Marceniak) 😂 I remember the LadyVols games being packed and then people would leave when it was time for the men to play.. no joke

I knew Pat. Went to church with her family for 20 years. Tyler was in the youth with my daughter. We had a lot of the same friends and a few even worked for UT - one in compliance in the AD, one in the band and one in facilities. Pat would never accept what is happening year after year on the court and in the program.

FWIW Pat made Michelle's life miserable, forcing her to step up as a player and leader. It worked and she remained close to Pat until she passed. The same coach that broke down and rebuilt players for success required the same of herself and the staff with the best offensive and defensive systems that matched the roster. That has not happened since she left us. Now we can no longer recruit well based on LV tradition. We need elite coaches and NIL to get it done. Times changed and we are still stuck in 2008. We are 15 years removed. The kids coming up have never seen a LV championship. They don't know what that looks like.

I knew Pat. Went to church with her family for 20 years. Tyler was in the youth with my daughter. We had a lot of the same friends and a few even worked for UT - one in compliance in the AD, one in the band and one in facilities. Pat would never accept what is happening year after year on the court and in the program.

FWIW Pat made Michelle's life miserable, forcing her to step up as a player and leader. It worked and she remained close to Pat until she passed. The same coach that broke down and rebuilt players for success required the same of herself and the staff with the best offensive and defensive systems that matched the roster. That has not happened since she left us. Now we can no longer recruit well based on LV tradition. We need elite coaches and NIL to get it done. Times changed and we are still stuck in 2008. We are 15 years removed. The kids coming up have never seen a LV championship. They don't know what that looks like.
Michelle was nice, I remember her saying ‘oh my gosh I have to go study’, we all can’t meet for a project another time?’ 😂 Pat made sure those girls took their studies seriously 😆

Also, your list of schools shows that major programs are actively pursuing him, so the premise of the original post to which I was responding was false.
He wants to run in the Olympics that’s his thing. Him putting on weight to play football isn’t ideal for him. He’s not going to run in the Olympics at 245. He’s listed at 225, not many effective blocking TE’s at that weight, which is where he wants to play.

Reactions: KptVFL and Vol423
Based on what I had to witness at last year’s Music City Bowl, that’s not a stupid decision by the Titans.
I concur.
AHTW5s1260HJEgBC0BpmrJIoDl2-mrbYHSgJy-W5DDl12JE49Za5f7Keo5vS-hVSAyFyWag8Ey_IuRYc_Pp2z1SpOMRVXmgGTjloBLRxEAjLufR5U6oGBBv3Z5lgCPyoCNGkvBwWYf2s3QaVTKoSbHRqYjiTj5755r_CQlIuCAVrNht1SO0J7FAd5wjHl9axXiQiW1_z_xNyZmrKzK9GaR0p1KlSLWi4BhinGmstn1yRzJ_KoEiHTC4plKRPq9Ynz00bkhWv6uudbqlEZwQDF9EM1W--WkYfH1lJzCvgwkg8wdG_1qqjydp6QzcJ9UNiglkuO9EebFWMmYc0nwAHjrWM7m5MV8teOr0kryQdE7fBz4VIQ3VG3gw5EV44J7O1WM5YmjbnbgNpBIDzMBXRAD0WN6CetCHgDt6UZ7g8XmnxktB3NrLWdg_dgNKbiONIk0a67OHd6UubqPIsOxoeXfdRJC0Sgc7IQdh_il5IMzBd4YvRpmZuqBjZCny6JJ0sDKQDzSBN89kasxEOf8UzcjjaCnnQbeyHDThbkp4d73jshKQgWsKxdeTs5_pk-9PiUWG3xkUApiGrzOrN_j6Xqd6sYwbY7FeRt6HKuarTM1whaUSPxs-ddbxLvpz-RweeqZDAkDTOzsI_6phMzRju51ML8Q0Q7wibbPDX_fJyraGIQdLgBTwdQkBCOXd1CUFPfH2LwXDoKaxlYikQaGV26smtyVeJxmcVs5c1BOyCuVJFXEfofnS3sR5DSc8iHrZDxFoohapsAIdd8T4FZafsKvgMUNJE0mBtaARfIMoTHPIuOpaHLA3XdD0jw_mgEaSeK7CP8sFxUg1XMgI10GkqUjYZD9IGsiDbsbalLiwgxQPXKgDp62mapMyH_IQ8U9mC2gUm9YbtJP3Zcv8JC4UVUN2IgsplNqbT-cpF5Xuq-owHiua1DZgSffv-byb4szXbpTMe=s0-l75-ft

One thing that none of you seem to be acknowledging is that the game of women's basketball has A LOT more quality programs now than it did back when Pat was running the program. The success of Pat (she was the first) and Geno helped grow the women's game and there are many more good teams now than there were back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back