Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I love about this staff. And why some players with a bit more "dog" in them are really showing out above their stars/rating outta HS.

Aaron Beasley, Wesley Walker, Gerald Mincey, Da'Jon Terry, Doneiko Slaughter, Javontez Spraggins, Tamarion McDonald, Jabari Small

I just hope the attrition we had in the '21 class isn't something we see with every class. Cause you still need a good core group of players to help keep the culture the way you want it. (only 6 from that class are still with the team)
In hingsight, Heupel booting several of those 21 guys his first year might've been the best thing he could've done to establish the culture and expectations. Whether he kicked them off deliberately or made their path to redemption hard, it worked. Our guys are rarely getting into off-field trouble now. The only in-season trouble this year I can think of was McCollough and that was bogus.

The fridge is full. No room for spoiled Ole Piss leftovers. He has the Kiffin smell on him anyway. Handling his playing career the same way Kiffin has handled his coaching career.
Haha. I told my friend at church (also a Vols fan) that he had the kiffin stink on him.

I wasn't calling Jeudy-Lally loyal. I was talking about guys already on the team that we recruited out of high school who have stuck around to be developed and earn their spot. It can't be good to upset those guys by paying some dude more who hasn't proven themselves on this team.

In the sense of Jeudy-Lally, I was talking about a guy who didn't make a show of it all, talked to some schools, made some visits, made a decision and stuck to it. That's not what this kid has done, now twice in two years. Jeudy-Lally transferred from Vandy, I assume, after Mason was fired. He did his time at BYU and got his degree and is now a grad transfer. Igbosun (sp?) did one year at Ole Miss and now wants more money. I don't mind kids transferring. I don't mind them taking the highest bidder either. But I don't like leading programs along and milking everyone and all that. I'm not calling the kid a cancer or a headcase either, I just don't like how he's handled himself twice. And I would assume that mentality would be a difficult one to manage in the locker room and there could be severe negative consequences for team chemistry if you overpay.

I get being concerned about not getting all the bigger transfers, but not lamenting it or forecasting failure because of it. At the end of the day we don't fully know what falls apart with some of these kids because we aren't in those conversation. All that matters is that we are winning football games with the players we do have.
Well said

Reactions: OrangenSC
I view injuries a bit differently, but with as mercenary as college football is becoming, I'm not opposed to coaches being able to pull the scholarships of players that are underperforming. I just assume any NIL deal they have will suffer if they're not performing on the field.
They have been cutting players for years including our team this year.

Would you be pissed if I started looking for a job and they offered me a crazy amount of money at a different company and I took that opportunity instead eve if it was last minute? It's a business and the second you think of it like business then all decisions make sense moving forward.
If you were only concerned about yourself and how to get the most out of the company without being concerned about what work you would be required to do or the others in the company….then you would be a cancer inside that company that only made others resent the fact that you were overpaid while they were doing all the work. Yes, that happens in the real business world all the time, and nobody wants it there either.

Something I love about this staff. And why some players with a bit more "dog" in them are really showing out above their stars/rating outta HS.

Aaron Beasley, Wesley Walker, Gerald Mincey, Da'Jon Terry, Doneiko Slaughter, Javontez Spraggins, Tamarion McDonald, Jabari Small

I just hope the attrition we had in the '21 class isn't something we see with every class. Cause you still need a good core group of players to help keep the culture the way you want it. (only 6 from that class are still with the team)

Really kind of lucky to have timed that transition class with heavy losses with these couple of years where 25 initial counter limits were turned off and only have to deal with the 85 number. We at least have a shot through the portal to fill back up.

That's the mantra. You see it in the rise in APR, the community service and the lack of incidents and arrests. Everything School.
I'm all for doing it the right way. Every school and every coach should strive for such. But it also has to lead to success on the field and playing for championships. I'm not saying every year, but never winning a championship is not my idea of success. Success is being in the running for a conference championship and the potential of a national championship. Again, not necessarily every year, but more times than not.

I think of recruiting like this. It’s a scale from the extreme of “this is the school I want to be at” to the extreme of “they are paying me the most money.” With the coaches they want guys that want to be at Tennessee and are willing to work for them. They are being honest and offering what they think the players deserve but are unwilling to get in a bidding war. This lgbo was talented enough to be able to help our team and led them to believe he wanted to be a Vol, but you could see him start moving toward the other end and appear to be chasing the highest bidder. OSU obviously convinced him he had an easier route to the playoffs. We could have way overpaid just to get a recruiting win to make the fans happy. Not the way these coaches are going to do “business” as people like to call it.

The thing about this staff is, they believe you have to fit their system, thrive in their culture and earn your spot. The coaches will help a player find a path and guide them, but the player has to put in the work to achieve the goal. Even guys like Nico with big NIL deals have to earn it. Nico is competing with Joe, who competed with HH. TJ had the opportunity, but thought he could find a better path elsewhere. Milton kept competing.

Being a good player doesn't make someone a good fit at UT. The sooner UT finds out a guy isn't, the sooner they can focus on guys who are.
Just curious, does Heupel have a final say on a player? or if Banks or another coach wants a player, they can have that said player?

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I'm all for doing it the right way. Every school and every coach should strive for such. But it also has to lead to success on the field and playing for championships. I'm not saying every year, but never winning a championship is not my idea of success. Success is being in the running for a conference championship and the potential of a national championship. Again, not necessarily every year, but more times than not.
Totally agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back