TE Coaching Hire ???

Current TE’s coach for Louisiana-Lafayette.
Jorge Munoz - Football Coach - Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns (ragincajuns.com)

Munoz returns to Louisiana after spending the 2021 season as an offensive analyst for the LSU Tigers. Before arriving in Baton Rouge, he spent one season in Waco, Texas, as the Passing Game Coordinator and wide receivers coach for the Baylor Bears.

While at Baylor, he coached R.J. Sneed, who led the team in receiving and earned Second Team All-Big 12 honors in 2020. Sneed started all nine games in 2020 and led the team in receptions (39) receiving yards (497), yards per game (55.2) while also posting three receiving scores.

Prior to arriving at Baylor, Munoz spent two seasons (2018-19) as an offensive analyst at LSU, where he worked closely in mentoring Heisman Trophy winner Joe Burrow and helped the Tigers win the 2019 National Championship.

LSU's 2019 offense is widely regarded as the best in college football history as the Tigers were the first to feature a 5,000-yard passer (Joe Burrow), two 1,000-yard receivers (Ja'Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson) and a 1,000-yard rusher (Clyde Edwards-Helaire).

The wait to name someone has everything to do with national signing day. Once someone is named to the position, whichever non-field coach who has been filling in on the recruiting trail will have to come off the trail. People shouldn't get their hopes up for an outside candidate. CJH has demonstrated he has an eye for promoting grad assistants/non-field coaches.

I don’t understand the suspense with this. It’s a position that we don’t seem to utilize much. Seems like you would just plug someone in there who is a good recruiter and move on?

The wait to name someone has everything to do with national signing day. Once someone is named to the position, whichever non-field coach who has been filling in on the recruiting trail will have to come off the trail. People shouldn't get their hopes up for an outside candidate. CJH has demonstrated he has an eye for promoting grad assistants/non-field coaches.

If you are going to run with the big dogs you to have bring in the best coaches money can buy, not unproven guys every time. Yes Pope has worked out but we have an OC who has never called plays in his college coaching career. He may or may not work out. But do you think for one second Saban or Smart would make that move. Look at all of the other big time teams that replaced an OC and did any of them do that. They are where we want to be and stay, so we want the best coaches available. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Deebowbear
IF he were promoting a coach already on staff why wait?

Reactions: ERvolsfan

Why would we be waiting till after signing day given we aren’t expected to sign anyone else

Reactions: DaddyChad
Because he has never been a coach. There are different skills required to brecome a good coach other than being good at what you do. Few really good players become good coaches, and I would not even think about hiring a coach for my team if he/she had never coached before.
Said the universities that pulled Freeze and Malzhan out of the high school ranks.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Generally, yes. Lining up next to OT where you may or may not be an eligible receiver makes you a TE.

Being the motion guy or lining up our wide, in the slot, as a wingback or fullback make you an H back.
H-Back lines up in the backfield usually in the B-gap. Lining up out wide is just flexed TE.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I don’t understand the suspense with this. It’s a position that we don’t seem to utilize much. Seems like you would just plug someone in there who is a good recruiter and move on?
No offense, cherokeeVol, but I don't think we would want you out there recruiting TEs for Tennessee.

Reactions: onevol74
H-Back lines up in the backfield usually in the B-gap. Lining up out wide is just flexed TE.
When you consider how many ways TEs scored for us this season and from how many places in how many formations they were lined up or in motion...
that TE coaching position almost has to be by someone who deeply understands Heupel's offense AND has coached TEs in multi-roles, or has worked with OLs, RBs and WRs. 'Cause that's what TEs do at Tennessee.

What? We utilized Warren and Fant, definitely more so Fant, more than we’ve utilized TE’s since Jason Witten. TE position is an integral part of Hype’s offense.

Reactions: butchna
When you consider how many ways TEs scored for us this season and from how many places in how many formations they were lined up or in motion...
that TE coaching position almost has to be by someone who deeply understands Heupel's offense AND has coached TEs in multi-roles, or has worked with OLs, RBs and WRs. 'Cause that's what TEs do at Tennessee.
You're preaching to choir, dude. But if a TE is being used as an H-back, they are in the backfield. They can be motioned out or detached but that's not what H-Back means. We use TEs as one in certain situations.

It would be like if we randomly installed a flexbone formation and lined up Sampson at wingback. He'd still be a runningback who occasionally lined up at wingback.

I just don’t buy the promoting from within, if that’s the case, could have very easily already announced that. If it’s an internal promotion there’s no need to wait, he’s past the bowl game, past the initial signing day with class buttoned up, past portal season, no reason to wait to promote from within… I’m not saying it won’t happen just wouldn’t make sense, I trust him to make offensive staff hires.

However I really believe this is a very important hire to add a reputable recruiter to the staff. I believe that adds credence to the idea he’s waiting to after the 2nd signing day as the “potential hire” could be crucial part of a staff that is still filling out their class.

Therefore I expect it to be an external candidate from the college ranks announced in the next week or so. Just a gut feeling.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
What? We utilized Warren and Fant, definitely more so Fant, more than we’ve utilized TE’s since Jason Witten. TE position is an integral part of Hype’s offense.
Maybe you’re right, I just don’t recall seeing them targeted that often. I know they sometimes use them in the backfield.

VN Store

Back