Knoxville radio

Clay and Buck isn't a sports show, it's a politics show that has a 40+ target demo so I don't know what putting them on a younger-leaning sports station would possibly accomplish. Fan Run may not be the best product that exists, but putting a hard right-wing political show on isn't going to improve it. Especially not in place of Jon Reed, which is clearly their strongest show.

If you're going to build a station for success, you need an anchor program to bring in a significant audience to build from and recycle that program's audience to other dayparts. It's definitely political with some sports at times, but it's better than what they are doing now... which means zero ratings. No ratings = no revenue. What they are currently doing is definitely not working.

Clay Travis explained this. NFL is king on sports talk radio and everything else is a distant second. He said he tracked his own audience and every time he strayed to talk about NBA or NHL audience drops out. The problem is Titans season is over now, so they're talking about their kids and weekend gambling and nonsense to fill the air time.
Yesterday a Nashville sports radio guy was reading tweets from listeners, one of which said’ why don’t you talk about the Titans Oline some more’ and he said ‘and tank my ratings? Nope’ … they must have that metrics stuff so fine tuned to the point of ridiculousness, so I do kind of appreciate the Basillios of the world who can just say whatever lol edit: it was Buck Reising 104.5

Tyler Ivens is, without a doubt the most annoying radio personality I’ve ever heard. Just constant humble brag, self promotion, and the occasional sports comment.
Sounds a lot like Nashville sports radio, with a few exceptions

I know their has been a million posts about Knoxville radio but fanrun is the worse. The early show should be called nonfan radio. The owner talks crap nonstop about Barnes and so do his minions. Drives me crazy. Barnes keeps us in the top ten year in year out but it’s still not good enough. Then you have terrible Tyler Ivens and Florida fan Logan ward on 990. It’s awful. We deserve better.
Kress isn't bad and would be better if he had his own show. Nate is a moron that shouldn't be allowed to operate a radio much less own a station

These guys are sports guys, not radio guys. They don't understand the timing, show prep or the type of programming that Knoxville desires.

Too many inside jokes amongst the on-air guys that NO ONE cares about.

Too much discussion of the NBA, which very few people care about.

Plus, the demographics for sports radio are older than the subjects they are addressing on air.

If they wanted to put a dent in WNML, they would put Clay and Buck on in midday and get rid of that schlock that is currently on there. I like the PM drive guys, but there's to much inside baseball going on.

Plus, they don't give out the dial position or slogan often enough to get credit in the Nielsen Audio diaries. They never show up in the ratings because of this.

They have an opportunity, but rather compete, they'd rather have their inside frat house jokes.
Clay and Buck can get herpes and then get hit by a bus. They are literally the worst

Heather was the worst. Her takes were horrible and her voice was annoying.
Tyler Ivins is annoying as hell and talks less sports and more other crap.
Swain and the other guy are good.
Ainge and Brian Rice are pretty good.
3-6 show is the best.

Kress isn't bad and would be better if he had his own show. Nate is a moron that shouldn't be allowed to operate a radio much less own a station
Nate isn’t my favorite. Covid has made him worse. All he could talk about the past few years. I get it - it lost him money due to sponsors having to drop out but he doesn’t know when to give it a rest.

They have the best basketball knowledge of any show in Knoxville though so they have that going for them. Kress got to work under Pat Summitt for a bit and Nate has some technical knowledge of the game too.

The guy complaining about inside jokes on FSK is hilarious.

Yesterday a Nashville sports radio guy was reading tweets from listeners, one of which said’ why don’t you talk about the Titans Oline some more’ and he said ‘and tank my ratings? Nope’ … they must have that metrics stuff so fine tuned to the point of ridiculousness, so I do kind of appreciate the Basillios of the world who can just say whatever lol edit: it was Buck Reising 104.5
The new soccer team never even gets mentioned and I hear their attendance is pretty decent. Preds get mentioned only when one of them attends a game the night before

My take would be when I listen to sports radio in a pro sports town, I want to hear professionals. In Detroit, I’d listen to 99.7 The Ticket and in Nashville, 104.5 The Zone. Knoxville…I’m cool with a little more amateur, unfiltered radio. It is just college kids at the end of the day, after all. I want to listen to the Voluntary Reaction Show after a game and hear Jon Reed and Russell Smith tell Alabama to go to hell after that big 52-49 win and curse out Jeremy Pruitt/Butch Jones when they suck.

Reactions: jdogvol
Side note Milton sunk two half court shots
Then decided to relieve some stress and throw the basketball out of Thompson and into the river

Good point.. it’s Titans Titans Titans lol
With the Vols inching closer to being legit playoff contenders and the titans moving ever so closer to being permanent celler dwellers, sports radio in TN should be able to adjust accordingly and start shifting more focus on SEC college fb.

I would almost be for them building the Titans a new stadium in Memphis just to get the majority of this state's focus back on the Vols again. I wonder how much Georgia cares about the Falcons right now? While shopping in Georgia today, I noticed everyone was wearing Bulldogs gear (Ugh!).

With the Vols inching closer to being legit playoff contenders and the titans moving ever so closer to being permanent celler dwellers, sports radio in TN should be able to adjust accordingly and start shifting more focus on SEC college fb.

I would almost be for them building the Titans a new stadium in Memphis just to get the majority of this state's focus back on the Vols again. I wonder how much Georgia cares about the Falcons right now? While shopping in Georgia today, I noticed everyone was wearing Bulldogs gear (Ugh!).

Despite being a Tennesseean, I've never embraced the Titans as my pro team. I dont like anything about them. I hate the nickname. I hate their generic colors. I hate their logo. Absolutely nothing about their identity feels like it was chosen as any kind of identifier to the state it represents (what the hell does a Titan have to do with the state of Tennessee?). Besides, they will always be the Oilers to me.

Last edited:
Despite being a Tennesseean, I've never embraced the Titans as my pro team. I dont like anything about them. I hate the nickname. I hate their generic colors. I hate their logo. Absolutely nothing about their identity feels like it was chosen as any kind of identifier to the state it represents (what the hell does a Titan have to do with the state of Tennessee?). Besides, they will always be the Oilers to me.
that's bc the colors are oiler colors, ergo the oilers.

VN Store

Back