January. Tennessee vs. Connecticut.

🤣 I’m dying laughing lol. That was typo. I mean “we” and “bigs” of UCONN

I was going to say, I know UConn is not popular in Tennessee but calling them “bugs” is a little over the top. It reminds me of a few years back when I was watching a college football game and the announcer kept saying, “The enemy runs right,” or “The enemy runs up the middle.“ I thought to myself, I know people take rivalries seriously but calling the opposing team, “the enemy,” was a little inappropriate for a TV announcer. However, I figured out a little later on in the telecast that the running back was named Eric Bieniemy (not the enemy). But - BUGS?

Last edited:
I’m so nervous about tonight’s game.

A few thoughts/questions:

1. Do we bring a full court press to throw off UCONN, or does this risk our players not being fast enough and leave possibility of open fast break layups, or jumpers?
2. Do we favor if this game is low scoring?
3. We must attack the paint. Getting the bugs of UCONN in foul trouble are going to be huge in slowing them. Fouls are going to be huge with UCONNs lack of bench, so if we play aggressive and smart (no offensive foul), that can only help us.
4. I don’t like zone with UCONN, as all can shoot 3, but do we have the speed to slow all positions with man-to-man?
5. Kaia Wynn, do we utilize her more tonight for defensive reasons? The more bodies we throw, the more it wear downs the opponent.

1. No, because Muhl can break the press by herself and trying press will result in assist for her to Lopez Senechal for a 3 or Griffin for a layup. They'll need to play man to man.
2. Yes. I don't think Tennessee can win if UConn scores 70+ points
3. No. They have post depth. I say go at their guards, because they don't have anyone to back up Muhl or L-S
4. No, but they'll need to. Tess won't keep up with Lopez Senechal. She moves really well off the ball and she can create her own shot. They also don't really have an answer for Edwards, but guarding her or Juhasz with anything other than single coverage means that L-S will get an open 3
5. If Bettencourt subs in, sic Miles or Wynn on her and make her life hell. But she gives up more than she contributes if she's trying to match up with one of their starters.

I was going to say, I know UConn is not popular in Tennessee but calling them “bugs” is a little over the top. It reminds me of a few years back when I was watching a college football game and the announcer kept saying, “ The enemy runs right,” or “The enemy runs up the middle.“ I thought to myself, I know people take rivalries seriously but calling the opposing team, “the enemy,” was a little inappropriate for a TV announcer. However, I figured out a little later on in the telecast that the running back was named Eric Bieniemy (not the enemy). But - BUGS?
Reminds me of when we were playing Stanford and Brink blocked a shot and our pal Lobo yelled out "Block a Fool!" When they came back fm commercial she apologized (for letting her real feelings out) and blamed it on her kids, something they say.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Pretty sure it was a typo and he meant to say "bigs" i.e. Juhasz and Edwards.

Hence, the line that said, “I was going to say.” That was clarified in several posts after the original “bugs” post, and the poster even admitted it was an obvious typo. Also, I teach middle school, I’m able to decipher typos pretty well for its intended meaning. However, I just wanted an excuse to tell the “enemy” story.

which is concerning, does she get in the teams way.
How does the coach getting hyped about a game and asking fans to show up even relate to her being in the teams way. I would be more concerned if Kellie had been quite through this week and not getting the fan base excited. Being home and having a good crowd is HUGE for this game and she knows that.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Hence, the line that said, “I was going to say.” That was clarified in several posts after the original “bugs” post, and the poster even admitted it was an obvious typo. Also, I teach middle school, I’m able to decipher typos pretty well for its intended meaning. However, I just wanted an excuse to tell the “enemy” story.
Oops, my fault for not reading from the top lol

How does the coach getting hyped about a game and asking fans to show up even relate to her being in the teams way. I would be more concerned if Kellie had been quite through this week and not getting the fan base excited. Being home and having a good crowd is HUGE for this game and she knows that.
talking game, does she overthink the game and get in the way with her decisions.

I would say the Parker dunk has the same feeling on this end. The game was virtually over and she dunked in front of our fans. There was no need for that, and that moment is why most UConn fans don't like or respect Parker. These instances are why the series was so intense and was must see TV for all the WBB world. IMHO, Tameka Catchings was on the other side of the "Class" scale. By far, my favorite LV player.
How was the game practically over when she dunked before the first TV timeout in the 2nd half LOL The dunk actually inspired a UCONN comeback but too much parker at the end of the day .

I'm totally bummed, hardly even want to go to the game. I will of course, bc my game buddy is over the moon about it. But it sounds like we have almost no chance to win this game. And that the bottom is about to fall out of the season. It's not just the overall tone on the board, but alot about how we played Sunday.

Fun as Sunday was, gutty and exciting as the comeback was, we still cannot reliably guard. Not one on one, God knows not 3 pt shooters. Then I saw LSU play again, then "depleted" UConn crushed everyone. Not encouraging.

My big hope is that we'll somehow outscore UConn, as KJH said after Missouri, just somehow leave here with a couple of more points than they have.

We HAVE to at least make this close. With this kind of stage, getting curbstomped at home will reinforce why poll voters and recruits don't trust us. We have to take that next step.

Can't wait to see LSU vs SC.

When LSU comes to Columbia they'll play before a sell out crowd of 18,000. It will be interesting if both teams are still unbeaten.

I definitely worry about the pucker factor filtering down to the players, in particular Horston. Her fragile psyche too often gets the best of her on these big stages...
Didn't JH score 26 on them last year up there? She seems more mature now and I think she'll be on top of her game. My dream scenario is JH and RJ play tonight like who we thought they would be all season.

I definitely worry about the pucker factor filtering down to the players, in particular Horston. Her fragile psyche too often gets the best of her on these big stages...
See it happen too often for coaches who haven't figured out big games, big environments with alot of eyes on you. How rested is Horston and what energy does she have after being sick?

See it happen too often for coaches who haven't figured out big games, big environments with alot of eyes on you. How rested is Horston and what energy does she have after being sick?
I wonder if JH might come off the bench this time, with RJ starting. I just want both on the floor as much as possible.

Didn't JH score 26 on them last year up there? She seems more mature now and I think she'll be on top of her game. My dream scenario is JH and RJ play tonight like who we thought they would be all season.

Yes, but she also shot poorly and had 7 turnovers in a game that wasn't all that competitive. The last time they played in TBA, Tennessee was ahead going into the 4th quarter and should have won. I would argue Horston's pitiful showing cost them the game...

Yes, but she also shot poorly and had 7 turnovers in a game that wasn't all that competitive. The last time they played in TBA, Tennessee was ahead going into the 4th quarter and should have won. I would argue Horston's pitiful showing cost them the game...
i’m sure you’d argue that anything JH does is not up to your standards. you’ve become predictable when it comes to talking about JH.

Reactions: volfan__18
I think Jordan really gets up for the big games!

If the UConn-Tenn series had not halted, there would have been 11 additional regular season games from 2009 through 2019. After perusing the following W-L records and top 4 scorers for both teams, how many games do you think Tenn would've won?

2019 UConn (35-3) [Collier/ KLS/ Dangerfield/ Walker] vs. Tenn (19-13) [Westbrook/ Davis/ Jackson/ Greene]

2018 UConn (36-1) [KLS/ Collier/ Stevens/ Nurse] vs. Tenn (25-8) [Nared/ Russell/ Davis/ Hayes]

2017 UConn (36-1) [Collier/ KLS/ Williams/ Nurse] vs. Tenn (20-12) [DeShields/ Russell/ Nared/ Middleton]

2016 UConn (38-0) [Stew/ Tuck/ MoJeff/ KLS] vs. Tenn (22-14) [DeShields/ Graves/ Cooper/ Russell]

2015 UConn (38-1) [Stew/ KML/ Tuck/ MoJeff] vs. Tenn (30-6) [Harrison/ Massengale/Burdick/ Graves]

2014 UConn (40-0) [Stew/ Hartley/ KML/ Dolson] vs. Tenn (29-6) [Simmons/ Harrison/ Massengale/ Graves]

2013 UConn (35-4) [KML/ Stew/ Dolson/ Faris] vs. Tenn (27-8) [Simmons/ Graves/ Spani/ Harrison]

2012 UConn (33-5) [KML/ Hayes/ Hartley/ Dolson] vs. Tenn (27-9) [Stricklen/ Johnson/ Spani/ Baugh]

2011 UConn (36-2) [Moore/ Hayes/ Hartley/ Dolson] vs. Tenn (34-3) [Simmons/ Stricklen/ Johnson/ Bjorklund]

2010 UConn (39-0) [Moore/ Charles/ Greene/ Hayes] vs. Tenn (32-3) [Bjorklund/ Stricklen/ Cain/ Brewer]

2009 UConn (39-0) [Moore/ Montgomery/ Charles/ Greene] vs. Tenn (22-11) [Stricklen/ Bjorklund/ Johnson/ Cain]

If the UConn-Tenn series had not halted, there would have been 11 additional regular season games from 2009 through 2019. After perusing the following W-L records and top 4 scorers for both teams, how many games do you think Tenn would've won?

2019 UConn (35-3) [Collier/ KLS/ Dangerfield/ Walker] vs. Tenn (19-13) [Westbrook/ Davis/ Jackson/ Greene]

2018 UConn (36-1) [KLS/ Collier/ Stevens/ Nurse] vs. Tenn (25-8) [Nared/ Russell/ Davis/ Hayes]

2017 UConn (36-1) [Collier/ KLS/ Williams/ Nurse] vs. Tenn (20-12) [DeShields/ Russell/ Nared/ Middleton]

2016 UConn (38-0) [Stew/ Tuck/ MoJeff/ KLS] vs. Tenn (22-14) [DeShields/ Graves/ Cooper/ Russell]

2015 UConn (38-1) [Stew/ KML/ Tuck/ MoJeff] vs. Tenn (30-6) [Harrison/ Massengale/Burdick/ Graves]

2014 UConn (40-0) [Stew/ Hartley/ KML/ Dolson] vs. Tenn (29-6) [Simmons/ Harrison/ Massengale/ Graves]

2013 UConn (35-4) [KML/ Stew/ Dolson/ Faris] vs. Tenn (27-8) [Simmons/ Graves/ Spani/ Harrison]

2012 UConn (33-5) [KML/ Hayes/ Hartley/ Dolson] vs. Tenn (27-9) [Stricklen/ Johnson/ Spani/ Baugh]

2011 UConn (36-2) [Moore/ Hayes/ Hartley/ Dolson] vs. Tenn (34-3) [Simmons/ Stricklen/ Johnson/ Bjorklund]

2010 UConn (39-0) [Moore/ Charles/ Greene/ Hayes] vs. Tenn (32-3) [Bjorklund/ Stricklen/ Cain/ Brewer]

2009 UConn (39-0) [Moore/ Montgomery/ Charles/ Greene] vs. Tenn (22-11) [Stricklen/ Bjorklund/ Johnson/ Cain]

All that effort just to rub Tennessee fans' noses in your success. As if we're not well aware.

Your time is coming too. Just remember that.

Reactions: volfan__18

None of them. How many of these UConn teams won NCs? At least 6. Also the same time that they had a couple of crazy winning streaks. Then you had Holly as coach for most these and huge talent disparities.

VN Store

Back