Tennessee Lady Vol News

Reactions: Volfan2012
Jordan Horston will play today so as of now we will have all the players on the team suited up.
Is that official? I'm sure it would take more than a cold to keep JH out of this game, but I haven't heard anything official. And KJH likes to play these things really close to the vest. I fervently hope she plays!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Very nice article, brutally honest. And the first time I've seen KJH admit that the early schedule was a bit too much. Also a good look at Rickea's evolution as a Lady Vol. I love KJH take that you can be a work in progress and a masterpiece at the same time. I was a little surprised that KJH seems as unsure about the rest of the season as we do, at least in public.

That`s what threw me off she seems as unsure about the rest of the season ?

Reactions: glv98
Who's "we?"

And where did Kellie say she was "unsure" about anything? What I read is that she said that there is more than one way to measure success.

Is there any coach out there currently guaranteeing in public how their team's season will end
Sorry, I will only speak for me, not we. The closing paragraphs made a point to describe KJH's difficulty in answering what success for this team would be. Describes a 10 second pause, an underthebreath "Man!" and finally offers "an alternative perspespective not results oriented." In which she basically says hopefully some day they'll be glad they pulled through it and can look back on success other than won loss record. Sounds a little vague, wistful, and uncoachspeaklike to me.

Hopefully all that changes in the next few hours.

Sorry, I will only speak for me, not we. The closing paragraphs made a point to describe KJH's difficulty in answering what success for this team would be. Describes a 10 second pause, an underthebreath "Man!" and finally offers "an alternative perspespective not results oriented." In which she basically says hopefully some day they'll be glad they pulled through it and can look back on success other than won loss record. Sounds a little vague, wistful, and uncoachspeaklike to me.

I understand what you're saying, but I didn't hear the doubt in her response. She acknowledged that winning is goal and success is usually defined by championships. But I think she just was expanding the definition on a personal level for her players by saying, "Even if we don't win a championship or get to the Final Four, that doesn't mean it was all for nothing."

I didn't get the Butch "Champions For Life" or the ,participation trophy" vibe. I didn't even get the impression that I read from some posters that "as long as they give 40 minutes of effort, I'll be satisfied"...which I also understand. And I do keep in mind that Kellie's mantra is "Be the best version of us that we can be."

I honestly feel that Kellie was giving an honest, thoughtful response to the question. She believes in her team and feels that they can win championships, but she also knows that there's more to life than basketball. She experienced the bliss of an unexpected championship and the heartache of a devastating loss to end her college career when her team was favored to win its fourth championship.

I think she was just saying that as long as the players do their best, they shouldn't feel like failures if they come up short of the goal (as all but one team will do). You're right...it may not be typical coach-speak...but I don't think it sounds defeatist or pessimistic. I think this was Mom Kellie speaking re: players she loves.

Just my take, and I may have overreacted a little to your post. I am quite sure that she's giving the team the pregame pep talks to assure them that the win is there for the taking and will do the same Monday for LSU.

Again, sorry for being snarky.

I understand what you're saying, but I didn't hear the doubt in her response. She acknowledged that winning is goal and success is usually defined by championships. But I think she just was expanding the definition on a personal level for her players by saying, "Even if we don't win a championship or get to the Final Four, that doesn't mean it was all for nothing."

I didn't get the Butch "Champions For Life" or the ,participation trophy" vibe. I didn't even get the impression that I read from some posters that "as long as they give 40 minutes of effort, I'll be satisfied"...which I also understand. And I do keep in mind that Kellie's mantra is "Be the best version of us that we can be."

I honestly feel that Kellie was giving an honest, thoughtful response to the question. She believes in her team and feels that they can win championships, but she also knows that there's more to life than basketball. She experienced the bliss of an unexpected championship and the heartache of a devastating loss to end her college career when her team was favored to win its fourth championship.

I think she was just saying that as long as the players do their best, they shouldn't feel like failures if they come up short of the goal (as all but one team will do). You're right...it may not be typical coach-speak...but I don't think it sounds defeatist or pessimistic. I think this was Mom Kellie speaking re: players she loves.

Just my take, and I may have overreacted a little to your post. I am quite sure that she's giving the team the pregame pep talks to assure them that the win is there for the taking and will do the same Monday for LSU.

Again, sorry for being snarky.

Sounds like someone only focusing on the game in front of her.

I thought it was interesting that they insinuated that the Coaching staff thought they had two years of Jackson and Horston. Why would the coaching staff think that I would've been thinking exactly the opposite.

From the outside it seems obvious that Horston, Jackson, and Key (especially the first two) would move on as high WNBA draft picks, but you never know. If they felt like this team’s chemistry was improving throughout this year and they could imagine bringing it back for another year to get to the next level, I could see it, especially for Jordan.

VN Store

Back