Heupel Receives Contract Extension and raise

I am glad he got the raise. UT football is fun again. I am hope these threads will generally go away now. I stated it other threads that $9M was the floor for his pay. I see a few people picking at amount in this thread and only they know why they are picking at the number being too high. Stoops is getting $9M at Kentucky. That is the floor. Full stop. End of discussion. There is no good reason to pay him less. You can't think of one. If you come up with something you are grasping at straws. Kentucky. Stoops. $9M a year. Game over.

Pay the man. He is clearly better than our past few coaches. I don't think the rest of the college football world really understands what he has done for the program. We were wiped out 2 years ago. Half our scholarship players left, under investigation, etc. The man has way over played his hand.

I can't wait to see what Heupel does once he gets some solid recruiting classes under his belt. That's what makes Nico so exciting; a five star talent in this offensive system? Hold on to your butts. This is just the beginning.

wonder how they got a 7-year deal through when state law requires all sorts of special approvals from political people to go beyond 5 years.

wonder how they got a 7-year deal through when state law requires all sorts of special approvals from political people to go beyond 5 years.
Lots of things about this deal surprise me....although I guess they shouldn't given the insanity sweeping through college sports and salaries these days.

HC is in charge of everything. I love Heupel. But he doesn't get the nod over Fulmer until he wins a natty. Hell shouldn't be in the discussion yet. Hasn't won the division yet. It's like some of you forget what the ultimate accomplishment is.

Fulmer was born on 3rd base. Heupel took a program at its lowest point in history and in 2 years made it elite.

HC is in charge of everything. I love Heupel. But he doesn't get the nod over Fulmer until he wins a natty. Hell shouldn't be in the discussion yet. Hasn't won the division yet. It's like some of you forget what the ultimate accomplishment is.

Fulmers ego is what got him fired twice.

No way would he have sustained the amount of success in the SEC now.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
According to details of Heupel's new contract released by the university, his buyout would be 100 percent of what he was owed if he were terminated without cause prior to Dec. 15, 2025. The buyout would drop to 75 percent if he were fired between Dec. 15, 2025 and Dec. 14, 2027. The buyout would decrease to 50 percent on Dec. 15, 2027.
$8M buyout if he leaves us.

Reactions: BigBear1995
Fulmer was born on 3rd base. Heupel took a program at its lowest point in history and in 2 years made it elite.
Yeah, it really is crazy. Anyone have any other examples of coaches turning around a program as quickly? Heupel really knows how to milk all of the potential out of all of his players. The first I have seen from a TN coach.

Everyone above him has achieved more.

I understand, but with as little to work with in as short of a period of time. I know "the portal" - - my have been a big help, but still there is going to be someone out there who will see the progress and say "this is enough, go after him".

Huge props to the PTB that knew we had to lock CJH down with a relevant extension and well-deserved raise. This shows that the admin is serious about the return of Vols football.

GBO!!!!

Per the contract, just for clarity on the buyout if anyone is interested.

Coach Separation Payment. If Coach terminates Coach's employment without cause at any time during the Term, then Coach (or a third party on Coach's behalf) shall pay the University a separation payment ("Coach Separation Payment'') in the amount of: (i) $8,000,000 in the event such termination occurring prior to December 15, 2023; or (ii) $6,000,000 in the event such termination occurs on or after December 15. 2023, but prior to December 15, 2024; or (iii) $4,000,000 in the event such termination occurs on or after December 15, 2024, but prior to December 15, 2025; or (iv) $3,000,000 in the event such termination occurs on or after December 15, 2025, but prior to December 15, 2026; or (v) $2,000,000 in the event such termination occurs on or after December 15, 2026, but prior to December 15, 2027 (with no payment being due in the event such termination occurs on or after December 15, 2027).

Amendment:

Article III, Section 3.3.2 of the Employment Agreement is amended by deleting each occurrence of the date of “December 15, 2027” and inserting instead the date of “December 15, 2028.”

No, we didn’t approach it this year on the field. Coming within two games of undefeated and a NC is not close to said standard, especially considering we got worked in the two losses. And either of that ‘98 team or the 2001 team would run this one out of the stadium. We had multiple top ten classes under Dooley, Pruitt, and Jones. Until we get top-three to top-five consistently we won’t be contending for NCs.
Did theCoaches you named have the x factor?

$4M is quite a bump. I think you give him $7.5 to $8M and then make sure it wasn't one season of luck. Then next year bump him to $9M if he does it again.
He embarrassed Stoops on National TV. Stoops makes 9 m a year. We don't need to ask for credit at the bargain store. We need to let everyone know including recruits that our checks want bounce.

VN Store

Back