The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

On January 25 in Baseball History...
  • 1945 - The New York Yankees are sold by the Ruppert estate to Larry MacPhail, Dan Topping, and Del Webb for $2.8 million. For that price, the trio obtains 400 players (266 of them in military service), Yankee Stadium, parks in Newark and Kansas City, and leases on other minor-league stadia.

• 1974 - Ray Kroc, fast-food entrepreneur (McDonald's), buys the San Diego Padres for $12 million.

• 1978 - The San Diego Padres trade pitcher Dave Tomlin and an estimated $125,000 in cash to the Texas Rangers for aging pitcher Gaylord Perry. Perry will win the N.L. Cy Young Award with San Diego in 1978.

Baseball Birthdays on January 25...

Baseball Deaths on January 25...

Anyone else think it is odd the women’s national player of the year award is also named after John Wooden? Wonder if VolNation could petition to get it renamed to the Pat Summitt Award?
I would be all for it but I’m scared to go to the LV basketball threads. Some jumping coach told me off.

Anyone else think it is odd the women’s national player of the year award is also named after John Wooden? Wonder if VolNation could petition to get it renamed to the Pat Summitt Award?

Great idea, obviously appropriate! Just make sure it doesn't become the Auriemma Award...

VN Store

Back