Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

I disagree. I don’t think most Vol fans are taking it for granted. Look at TBA, it’s full for basketball. Always idiots online but most Vol fans are enjoying basketball. But I think many just don’t expect a championship or run in March which tempers expectations and excitement. They are allowed to feel that way when you look at how Ricks teams perform in March. I love watching the basketball team but I do not have any thoughts of this team making it far in March. Rick just doesn’t do well in March.
I agree… there was a scale done on Tournament success and coaches relative to who they play in the tournament and opposing teams. Rick graded as the worst with a negative rating. I have no clue what happens when his teams get there but something mental maybe? I just hope he can figure it out and make a run to an elite 8 or something before he goes. Nice guy

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
I don’t know if it’s a for sure thing that the program takes a “step back”. With AD White hiring and his support with facilities and everything I’m highly confident in the basketball program afterwards

We’ve been an AP Top 5 team more times these past few years than we have in our previous 70. We will take somewhat of a step back. Just how big is the question. Hopefully a small one!

I look at Rick as a relatively high floor lower ceiling coach based on track record. You’ll finish around 3-5 in your conference. Have a solid team and usually be ranked. Which that’s what Tennessee needs at the moment. It’s made the job more attractive along with a bunch of other new developments over the last 2 years under the new administration

Hopefully a run to an elite 8 is in the cards for him. I’d take a sweet 16 even. If you’re a 1 or a 2 seed you’d reasonably expect a sweet 16 at the least and hopefully he can get there again. Great person

For how long he has been coaching and some players/teams he has had, he should have some years where making the elite eight was easily attainable. I like Rick and we always have good teams. But it’s not wrong to say he has had struggles in the tournament.
I wonder why. I’m not as big a basketball guy as some (I love watching CBB, especially the Vols, but I know it way less than football), but it’s been so consistent for the last decade-plus. I think he’s only gotten out of the first weekend once in something like 13 or 14 years. That’s just odd to me. He seems an objectively good coach but the tournament just never goes his way.

Reactions: OrangenSC
For how long he has been coaching and some players/teams he has had, he should have some years where making the elite eight was easily attainable. I like Rick and we always have good teams. But it’s not wrong to say he has had struggles in the tournament.

Please don't say Kevin Durant's team because no one understands how that team was made up.

He has had struggles. Very true. I’m not denying that. I’m just not sure how many coaches out there are guarantees to do better. I know “tournament sport” etc. etc. Winning in March is really, really hard. Few coaches could come to Knoxville and make me feel better about our chances to go far in the Big Dance.

I just know our fans, who give Rick an unfair hard time, are going to be severely disappointed when he retires and our program takes the natural step back. They will wish we were still winning as often as Rick had us winning.

He is truly the victim of his own success. Texas had gone to 17 NCAAT's before Rick Barnes. He took them to 16. When we hire that mid-major coach after Barnes, it will be interesting to see how people react.

Josh Heupel is college football’s newest $9 Million Dollar man.

chicken-chicken-bro.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back