Hendon Hooker headed to the Senior Bowl

I would say you are correct…..in the real world. The NFL is not the real world.

Sports/athletics is almost the inverse of the real world. I am not going on a political rant, but using the methodology of the current business hiring climate of diversity/equity, the NFL would look entirely different.

Reactions: feathersax
What amount of contact did the NFL have with Heupel's USF quarterbacks?

Hendon may represent their first chance to query a product of Heupel's system for how well it prepares QBs mentally for NFL offenses. Football IQ doesn't change, but transferring knowledge from one system to another might be challenging for some individuals.

Traditionally, though, the biggest hurdle for college QBs to find success in the NFL has been the accuracy of throws demanded at that level. From a spectator-level, it appears the success of Heupel's offense lies in creating confusion in coverage that leaves players wide open--which means extreme accuracy is not needed.

Ball out, Hendon! Until you can get back out on the field again, ball out on the Wonderlic, and on that white board!

I would say 90% of landing a new job / promotion is in the connection and interaction...not the physical tools.
True. I've hired folks who might not have been the best on paper but they weren't a##holes and were willing to learn. Same goes for promotions as well. Its always funny to me how a lot of people don't understand that their behavior has an influence, positive or negative, on their work life. I have one guy asking for a performance based raise who has threatened to quit twice because the job is "too much"..

Great chance for Hooker to network and that can pay dividends for years to come.

Watching that Vol highlights video the other day, HH stands in the pocket with such confidence and swagger, that I bet he is the true dark horse QB taken in the draft. Whoever takes him, I will be a fan of in a new york minute.

True. I've hired folks who might not have been the best on paper but they weren't a##holes and were willing to learn. Same goes for promotions as well. Its always funny to me how a lot of people don't understand that their behavior has an influence, positive or negative, on their work life. I have one guy asking for a performance based raise who has threatened to quit twice because the job is "too much"..

Great chance for Hooker to network and that can pay dividends for years to come.

Do you work in HR for S-Mart? Just a guess...

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I couldn't disagree with you more (respectfully). Jim Irsay hired Jeff Saturday as his interim head coach to the surprise of everyone. That hire was 100% relationship based. When Jerry Jones was asked about the hire, his response was "Its not the x's and o's, its not the Jimmies and Joes, its all about who you know." Frank Reich hired Carson Wentz in Indy due to a previous relationship. This is the norm, not the exception. Coaches follow other coaches from gig to gig and bring the players they know well with them. Its all about who you know, especially in the NFL.

I couldn't disagree with you more (respectfully). Jim Irsay hired Jeff Saturday as his interim head coach to the surprise of everyone. That hire was 100% relationship based. When Jerry Jones was asked about the hire, his response was "Its not the x's and o's, its not the Jimmies and Joes, its all about who you know." Frank Reich hired Carson Wentz in Indy due to a previous relationship. This is the norm, not the exception. Coaches follow other coaches from gig to gig and bring the players they know well with them. Its all about who you know, especially in the NFL.
We aren’t discussing coaches. We are discussing players (or in this thread, Hendon Hooker). Players are paid millions on potential alone while coaches have to prove themselves. Let’s stay on an apples to apples comparison.

What amount of contact did the NFL have with Heupel's USF quarterbacks?

Hendon may represent their first chance to query a product of Heupel's system for how well it prepares QBs mentally for NFL offenses. Football IQ doesn't change, but transferring knowledge from one system to another might be challenging for some individuals.

Traditionally, though, the biggest hurdle for college QBs to find success in the NFL has been the accuracy of throws demanded at that level. From a spectator-level, it appears the success of Heupel's offense lies in creating confusion in coverage that leaves players wide open--which means extreme accuracy is not needed.

Ball out, Hendon! Until you can get back out on the field again, ball out on the Wonderlic, and on that white board!

Zero contact

We aren’t discussing coaches. We are discussing players (or in this thread, Hendon Hooker). Players are paid millions on potential alone while coaches have to prove themselves. Let’s stay on an apples to apples comparison.
Yes, that is why I referenced players in my post. That is in bold now in case you missed it. Also, your post agreed with the fact that relationships were important, but not in the NFL. I simply cited a few examples that disprove the assertion you made about the NFL.

VN Store

Back