Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

So far, some of the best defense I’ve seen Iowa play this season. See if they can keep it up.

Ohio State is having a hard time scoring so they can’t set that press. When they got some buckets early they were able to turn Iowa over.

Looks like OSU is figuring it out and rallying back. It’s painfully reminding me of our game against them 😩

UCONN still blew out DePaul by 40 plus. LSU spanked Bama. SC spanked Arkansas. UT plays all 3 soon. #1 SOS here we come.

Yep. We have a big opportunity ahead of us. A tall task. Even with their weak schedule, LSU looks like a solid elite 8 team to me. UConn is still rolling despite injuries. One game at a time.

That goes for almost every team in WCCB when it comes to SC. You need a big center to compete with them that is elite not many teams have that. Were a good team around the top 20 would need a better center and better point guard to reach elite like they are. I would put Horston and Jackson up against Cooke and Beal anyday. After that they have every advantage in personnell.

I agree completely. Tennessee's Houdini escape act from Missouri just highlighted how weak the supporting cast is when either Horston and/or Jackson are out or off their games.

The Lady Vols' "Big Two" will do their thing, but the x-factors for how far this team will go in March are whether Powell can consistently and effectively take the reins at point guard, and which of the three-headed monster at center can surge ahead of the other two and take control of the middle (Hollingshead has the most upside here IMO)...

Yep. We have a big opportunity ahead of us. A tall task. Even with their weak schedule, LSU looks like a solid elite 8 team to me. UConn is still rolling despite injuries. One game at a time.
They can win it all, I’ve watched them a few times and they are tough. A player like Angel Reese can take you to a championship.

Reactions: LV renaissance
Three excellent games to watch tonight:

(2) OSU versus (10) Iowa at 7 PM ESPN2
(6) IU @ (13) Michigan at 8:15 PM BTN
(4) LSU @ Bama at 7 PM SECN
Uconn plays DePaul at 7 for those wanting to scout the Huskies. SNY or Stream on Fox Sports App

Thursday, Jan 26 will be a big day for NCAAW Basketball, some of the games of interest that night:

(5) Uconn @ UT 8 PM ESPN
(13) Mich @ (10) MD 6:30 B10X
(24) FSU @ (7) ND 8 PM ACCNX
(12) VT @ (16) Duke 8 PM ACCN
(2) OSU @ (6) IU 8:30 B10X
Only one team not ranked on that list.

They can win it all, I’ve watched them a few times and they are tough. A player like Angel Reese can take you to a championship.

Yea i trying to keep making myself think this team not very good but i gotta give credit were its due they are legit.....im in love wit the freshmen Johnson one of the best athletes ive seen in a woman in a while....they hve one of the best starting 5 in the country because they all complement each other tremendous job of putting this team together by mulkey who i still dnt like lol.....i think one thing about them that is glaring is when u start getting into the bench they dnt play alot of people and dnt getting alot of point production from the people they play most def a elite 8 n above team tho

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVol1908

I’ll need to see them against SC before I tab them as title contenders. They really haven’t faced any adversity outside of that game vs Arkansas, and they were at home.

I’ll need to see them against SC before I tab them as title contenders. They really haven’t faced any adversity outside of that game vs Arkansas, and they were at home.
Understood, I’m just talking about the talent I see. Even if they lose to Sc that doesn’t mean they can’t win it all.

Understood, I’m just talking about the talent I see. Even if they lose to Sc that doesn’t mean they can’t win it all.
Their starting 5 may be able to contend with most or any team in the country but the lack of a bench is what will separate certain teams

Having an elite starting 5 is critical but having a bench with players who can maintain that level of play is far and few in between. Not saying it can’t be done but it’s tough to basically ask 5 or 6 kids to basically do it all without rest or help from the bench.

I don’t believe LSU has seen a defense anything like SC yet. That is the game when the carnival tent will fold up for the tigers.
On another note, the girl from Egypt is enrolling at UConn this week but will not play this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
SC defense will slow that train down, and we will see how Reese does against some real post players.
Reese will get hers as far as points and rebounds. But her shooting percentage won't be pretty. She had to go against SC's inside game last season when she played for Maryland, and she did way better than I thought she would (20 pts 10 rbs) in a close loss.

Reese is a load and more than held her own against SC & other teams with an established inside last year with MD. She will get her double double however will her team get the win is the question. LSU needs to get past the Vols 1st.

Reese will get hers as far as points and rebounds. But her shooting percentage won't be pretty. She had to go against SC's inside game last season when she played for Maryland, and she did way better than I thought she would (20 pts 10 rbs) in a close loss.

I agree Reese will get hers but will need to work really hard to get hers. Hear is the problem LSU and others face when going up against SC. There bench and the talent on the bench. Trying to deal with 6-7 Cardoso 6-4 Amihere, 6-3 Watkins 6-4 Feagin and to add and she is getting more reps and comfortable with the system Dawn said and is really talented 6-2 6-3 C.Kitts the staff said she is 6-3. The bench is just not easy to play against.

Reactions: Rooster1
I said it when she first committed and I’ll say it again, Cardoso is the X-Factor when it comes to South Carolina. Having that kind of size, with skill, paired along side or coming in for Boston is too much to handle for almost every team in America aside from Stanford. She reminds me of a better version of Kelly Cain.

Last edited:
I said it when she first committed and I’ll say it again, Cardoso is the X-Factor when it comes to South Carolina. Having that kinda of size, with skill, paired along side or coming in for Boston is too much to handle for almost every team in America aside from Stanford. She reminds me of a better version of Kelly Cain.

That’s a good comparison. She brings the same things defensively Cain brought but she has the offensive skill and finishing ability to go along with it.

VN Store

Back