Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt that…. Some people already have their minds made up…. I felt the same way about Willie when he was here before… I looked up the stats and realized he wasn’t that bad… I brought that up and credit was given to Derek Barnett….We are too emotionally tied to our team and a lot of times…. Our perceptions don’t match reality… it’s why feel all of our DBs suck and every other teams DBs are the next big thing. Having a DC whose specialty is DBs makes me feel confident that he would change something if he didn’t like the way it was being taught.
Well, if our DBs are being taught to look for the ball, they're obviously failing a lot. You can watch our games and see they don't look back for the ball. It factors into some of our PI calls this year. It's a basic skill of the position. Yet we fail to do it quite often. Is it talent? Is it coaching? Who the hell really knows? But if we continue to do it season after season, that leans toward coaching, So we'll see if that gets fixed this year.

As far as the 10 yd cushions, maybe it's a limited scheme based on the players we have? Again, I don't know, but you can't leave those huge cushions. It's 3rd and Chavis all over again. Scheme has to get better. Even in zone, you can't play with such huge cushions on the WRs.

I can't speak for everyone else but fix those two things specifically and I'll stop bitching about our secondary.

No fanbase is ever completely satisfied. There will always be rowdies. But DBs not giving 10yd cushions and actually playing the ball will satisfy most of the VN outrage. Not all, but most.
Devil's Advocate: if our defense's goal is to bend but dont break, and never allow anything over the top, then between the 20s we're going to see 10yd cushions. Our defense is great in the red zone. But if we play tight in the open field we risk giving up more big plays and long touchdowns.

On 52 redzone trips our defense gave up only 39 scores (27 TDs). That's a 75% scoring rate, 52% TD rate. Only allowed 10 TDs outside of the redzone.

We allowed 3rd down conversions at a 34% rate. 4th down at 42%. Those are not bad numbers.

Opponent QBs completed 62.5% of their passes for an average of 289yds per game.

Defense forced 11INTs, 18 fumbles (recovered 11), 27 sacks.

Edit to add: Our defense does it's job. We aren't designed to have a Bama/Georgia lockdown defense. We are designed to force offenses to sustain long drives without turning it over, sputtering, or making their own mistake. Then we turn up the heat in the second half to force more mistakes and exploit weaknesses that pop up during the course of the game.

Last edited:
January 24, 1982

49ers win their first Super Bowl

fqdaqefudrlcknwrzp01.jpg

No fanbase is ever completely satisfied. There will always be rowdies. But DBs not giving 10yd cushions and actually playing the ball will satisfy most of the VN outrage. Not all, but most.

This is it exactly. Play good fundamentals, which is not what we have seen at times for many years. Nobody who understands football expects shut downs on every play.

They figured it out in the last two games. I guess they needed the USCe debacle to wake up and start playing better ball. Now we have good talent coming in to help.

Always your default solution. How about troll less intentionally? If we go another season with no progress in production, there will be more subscribing to your vendetta…promise. I don’t have a “problem” with opinions. Just incessant beating others on the head with it. 😴

Your definition of trolling isn’t the same as mine. So you can say I am trolling all you want. You do you.

How good is Davison? Our secondary will never satisfy the fanbase…. We play too fast and score too much for our secondary to look good enough to appease our fanbase… we just need them to be competitive in every game.

False. It’s one thing for a secondary to not play well once in awhile. But to get consistently get torched? Yeah no thanks. You mean to tell me we can’t get a secondary ranked in say the 50-60th range instead of 100? I don’t buy it.

Well, if our DBs are being taught to look for the ball, they're obviously failing a lot. You can watch our games and see they don't look back for the ball. It factors into some of our PI calls this year. It's a basic skill of the position. Yet we fail to do it quite often. Is it talent? Is it coaching? Who the hell really knows? But if we continue to do it season after season, that leans toward coaching, So we'll see if that gets fixed this year.

As far as the 10 yd cushions, maybe it's a limited scheme based on the players we have? Again, I don't know, but you can't leave those huge cushions. It's 3rd and Chavis all over again. Scheme has to get better. Even in zone, you can't play with such huge cushions on the WRs.

I can't speak for everyone else but fix those two things specifically and I'll stop bitching about our secondary.
You called us 3rd and Chavis…. Do you realize that we were 29th in the entire country in 3rd down defense and 4th in the SEC? We were also the only team in the SEC to play the top 3 teams in the SEC(besides us)….LSU, Georgia, and Alabama

Devil's Advocate: if our defense's goal is to bend but dont break, and never allow anything over the top, then between the 20s we're going to see 10yd cushions. Our defense is great in the red zone. But if we play tight in the open field we risk giving up more big plays and long touchdowns.

They gave 10 yard cushions the entire game against USCe and we saw what happened. They started mixing up coverages the last two games and we saw what happened. All an OC has to do is be patient against soft coverage. If they are they will score. The D that does that is counting on QB mistakes, which are less likely to happen if there is little pass rush. That's what happened at USCe. The officials allowed their O-line to tackle our pass rushers. Game over because Banks did not adapt. He would have been better off going press man and blitz every play that do what he did. Most of us on here posted the same thing the entire game.

Need players and DC's who can mix it up. Banks did that in the last two games and the players responded well IMO. I am upbeat on the improvement we will see on the back end. It is obviously a point of emphasis based on recruiting and comments Heup made post USCe.

False. It’s one thing for a secondary to not play well once in awhile. But to get consistently get torched? Yeah no thanks. You mean to tell me we can’t get a secondary ranked in say the 50-60th range instead of 100? I don’t buy it.
What metric are you using to rank them? If it’s yardage then who gives a sh$t? I do think they need to improve… they weren’t as bad as what we make them out to be though…. The SC game was sh&t though.

On 52 redzone trips our defense gave up only 39 scores (27 TDs). That's a 75% scoring rate, 52% TD rate. Only allowed 10 TDs outside of the redzone.

We allowed 3rd down conversions at a 34% rate. 4th down at 42%. Those are not bad numbers.

Opponent QBs completed 62.5% of their passes for an average of 289yds per game.

Defense forced 11INTs, 18 fumbles (recovered 11), 27 sacks.

Edit to add: Our defense does it's job. We aren't designed to have a Bama/Georgia lockdown defense. We are designed to force offenses to sustain long drives without turning it over, sputtering, or making their own mistake. Then we turn up the heat in the second half to force more mistakes and exploit weaknesses that pop up during the course of the game.
Yep…. They did really good especially with all the challenges…. Can’t have games like SC though.

What metric are you using to rank them? If it’s yardage then who gives a sh$t? I do think they need to improve… they weren’t as bad as what we make them out to be though…. The SC game was sh&t though.

Bama and USCe skewed the stats and the patience of UT fans relating to the D. Semi understand it against Bama. USCe was a disaster.

It's OK to observe something repeatedly and then post that we see something repeatedly. Our secondary rarely turn their heads to locate the ball and that is exactly the same thing that happened when Martinez was here before. It's OK to make the obvious observation and hope for it to improve. The trail technique that is employed tells them to rake the arms as the ball arrives if they are stuck behind the receiver and cannot see the ball in time, which is what our guys attempt to do, albeit poorly. Getting stuck behind with no ability to locate the ball is the real problem. That is either a talent issue, or, a coaching development issue, or, both. Proper footwork and closing quickness - making up ground and finding the ball.

That's what third or fourth and Chavis is all about. We hope to see less of it, that's all.

Play with good fundamentals. Look for the ball. Break on the ball. Good form tackling. I get that some posters on here hate to read any criticism of our team, but in a lot of games our secondary played with poor fundamentals. They didn't turn their heads to find the ball. They broke late on the ball. And they focused more on trying to strip the ball than making the tackle, often giving the receiver extra yardage.

Seriously, it's not a crime to want to see good execution. I can understand bend, don't break, but at least do it with good defensive fundamentals. But they kept making the same mistakes over and over again, especially when it came to not finding the ball and tackling.

You called us 3rd and Chavis…. Do you realize that we were 29th in the entire country in 3rd down defense and 4th in the SEC? We were also the only team in the SEC to play the top 3 teams in the SEC(besides us)….LSU, Georgia, and Alabama
I compared it to third and Chavis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back