Game Thread: Lady Vols v Mizzou 3 PM Sunday at Mizzou, SEC+ (stream)

I can agree but not for any of the reasons you mentioned. Were still the underdogs cause they will be bringing 9 five star players to play us. We have three rated that high. The out coaching is ridiculous. Why don't he coach Vandy and see how he does. He has always had the best players for most of the last 15 years. Their offense looks like anyone else offense they just make more shots than other teams. We've got a shot at them even if they have far more talent. I like the way Harper coaches for the most part. What she is always missing is enough bigtime talent and that more than anything will be her downfall. You need those superstar players at every position.

well said... look what happened to gail g---course going from Duke to Texas
Lets see Gino take on that challenge...his protege' is already at Vandy

UCONN isn’t far more talented than Tennessee. TN was Preseason #5 ranked team in the country.
They haven’t loss games due to talent, they loss because the team was not ready to sustain consistent play week in and week out facing one of the most difficult schedules in basketball.
If TN wins which there’s a good chance, it’ll be because Rickea Jackson is the best player on the floor and the young skilled players in Puckett, Striplin, Hollingshead (all 4🌟🌟🌟🌟) have continued to develop
With both teams healthy, Rickea would still be arguably the most talented player on the court.
Agree about a lot you say but #5 was based on a healthy TK on swat patrol. Still think we can win this!

Agree about a lot you say but #5 was based on a healthy TK on swat patrol. Still think we can win this!

TK defensive productivity can’t be replaced by a single player. The team defense needs to be more consistent for four quarters. They have played solid to good at times, and then have lapses that make games end closer than they should be during this streak.
The more experience Striplin, Hollingshead, Tess, and Puckett get facing proven opponents and tough matchup assignments the better for the team.
Striplin has another gear she can bring on both offense and defense.
Imagine not playing much year 1 and becoming a starter in year 2 weeks into the season following being the 4th center behind TK, Jaz, and Jillian.
She has exceeded expectations in my book. She just needed the in game experience and is delivering big-time.
Puckett gets discussed a lot for struggles on defense.. what I see is a player that I’m willing to give up a little on defense to maximize her offfense.
Puckett scored 17 points yesterday and it was effortlessly done.
She can score 10-15 pts a game. Yesterday reminded me of her freshman performance against Texas when she took over the 4th quarter.
Puckett has potential and the skill set right now to be a versatile Power 5 scorer as a sophomore.

Agree, and quite honestly, I don't see the Lady Vols winning the game against UConn even if Horston is available. 1)the Lady Vols are flat out outcoached, 2)the Huskies won't take a possession off, 3)the ball won't get stuck in the hands of one person, 4)the Huskies won't run the same 1999 offense, 5)...6)...7)
Maybe Horston will dunk on them like Candace did.

Agree, and quite honestly, I don't see the Lady Vols winning the game against UConn even if Horston is available. 1)the Lady Vols are flat out outcoached, 2)the Huskies won't take a possession off, 3)the ball won't get stuck in the hands of one person, 4)the Huskies won't run the same 1999 offense, 5)...6)...7)
Sounds like the LV'S might as well throw in the towel and give the game to UCONN. On paper UCONN should be the most talented team but that's why you play the game. LV' s may loose but they won't back down from the challenge.

UCONN isn’t far more talented than Tennessee. TN was Preseason #5 ranked team in the country.
They haven’t loss games due to talent, they loss because the team was not ready to sustain consistent play week in and week out facing one of the most difficult schedules in basketball.
If TN wins which there’s a good chance, it’ll be because Rickea Jackson is the best player on the floor and the young skilled players in Puckett, Striplin, Hollingshead (all 4🌟🌟🌟🌟) have continued to develop on the floor along with the proven veterans Franklin, Powell, Tess, and Walker.
Jordan Horston status is still unknown for this game.
With both teams healthy, Rickea would still be arguably the most talented player on the court.

Horston is the more complete and valuable player, IMO. And every bit the athlete that Rickea is.

Reactions: Prophet1
I can’t stop watching Rickea’s game winning basket. So many players get frazzled in those moments yet she posted up strong and used a soft touch. It’s beautiful to watch and a moment I’ll never forget.
I'll see you at the recovery meeting as I can't stop watching the entire last minute :cool:.

Mizzou was a loss to the LadyVols against a team they should have dominated and a team our thursday nite opp beat by 30+.
The Lady orange has something to prove and they will be coming out ready and smoking .
Vols by 5

I can’t stop watching Rickea’s game winning basket. So many players get frazzled in those moments yet she posted up strong and used a soft touch. It’s beautiful to watch and a moment I’ll never forget.

Same here. Every time I watch it my jaw drops with how sure and powerful her back-to-the-basket post moves are. She is actually better down low than most players who've played that position for many years. If she were three or four inches taller and had more bulk I'd pit her against anyone in the paint.

But her physical build for her normal position is about as perfect as I've ever seen, and she appears to have the perfect ratio of fast and slow twitch muscles. Honestly, she was born to excel in athletics.

Some interesting stuff in the plus/minus stats, and reminder that single game plus/minus can be flawed for several reasons:

View attachment 532522

I would have thought Puckett and Jackson would have been the plus/minus leaders, but not even close.
It was Franklin who had 3 TOs in under 20 minutes. Next were Darby and Powell who had poor shooting nights.

Check out #1 for Mizzu. -12 in 35 minutes which means Mizzu won by 15 points in the 5 minutes she was on the bench.

With Jordy out, I really like that shot distribution. They didn't try to shift more load onto Rickea.

Hope we're not gonna be suffering from a " hangover/ trap game" before uconn.
That's what my bet is based on.
Tennessee Lady Vols.

a friend of mine and I were discussing the Florida game,, prior to the Mizzou/trap game,, at the arena
She said she was concerned about the energy and potential complacency of that game
turns out she was a game ahead

I predict no hangover

The connies will give us a battle
LSU will be a war
4 scenarios
Win the battle, lose the war
Lose the battle, win the war
Win the battle, win the war
Lose the battle, lose the war
The troops will decide the battle
The Generals will decide the war

Reactions: Prophet1 and UTtoDC
Yes, that seemed like an overly cautious substitution. In hindsight, I now wonder if Kellie had planned to sub Rickea anyway? It is not conventional to take a player out just because of a lone foul (two is the normal magic #). As the season goes, it appears more and more that Kellie has an informal minutes limit on both Rickea and Jordan Horston. Perhaps it is a strategy to keep them fresh for clutch time. I think with Rickea, Kellie wants her to maintain a high effort on the defensive and rebounding side. And she may also may be thinking longer term about now wearing out her star players before the tournament portion of the season kicks in.
You make an excellent point, Madtown. I have wondered so about why the weird substitutions are being made, as well. What players do you see the most development in this year, in addition to Puckett? Appreciate any input you’d like to share.

a friend of mine and I were discussing the Florida game,, prior to the Mizzou/trap game,, at the arena
She said she was concerned about the energy and potential complacency of that game
turns out she was a game ahead

I predict no hangover

The connies will give us a battle
LSU will be a war
4 scenarios
Win the battle, lose the war
Lose the battle, win the war
Win the battle, win the war
Lose the battle, lose the war
The troops will decide the battle
The Generals will decide the war
I vote for win the battle……win the war. Don’t like either Coach.

VN Store

Back