2024 Recruiting Thread

Not a good look for the staff. You want us to get back on top we have to keep the best in-state nationally ranked kids. The staff had time to move the needle and failed to make the Top 5. Cambridge is a difference maker at the point.

The LV's last two championship teams (2006-7 and 2007-8) only had one player from Tennessee, Alex Fuller (who only saw limited minutes during those seasons). There is no law that parochial recruiting wins championships.

Last edited:
The LV's last two championship teams (2006-7 and 2007-8) only had one player from Tennessee, Alex Fuller (who only saw limited minutes during those seasons). There is no law that parochial recruiting wins championships.

Tennessee is producing better players today overall on average every year than what we were back in the early 2000 to late 2000’s. Jaloni is a player you build your program around in regards to putting up a the fence and hanging banners.

Reactions: lfvol
Okay, again the transfer portal is now part of recruiting and more than that, a big part of recruiting. Every season there is now going to be musical chairs with lots of players looking for a better situation (in terms of whatever that means to them) You can also bet $ more transfers will be coming to Rocky Top, next season.

As for Justine looking lonely, what? She has many teammates and seems to be getting along just fine. Her "loneliness" is just your projection to further suggest the sky is falling.

What's this now? Where did I say the sky was falling? I said it's very concerning that recruiting has been sparse the last two years. Because it is. It's weird Tennessee's struggling there. And yes, the transfer portal is a stopgap, okay, granted, but to pretend like the portal is equivalent feels a little off to me. In fact, I'd counter that stability in the face of turnover is going to be even more important for success in the future. Programs that can maintain stabiltiy will probably enjoy some success as a result of that stability. I'm not hating on Tennessee, I just think that's part of the deal with this transfer madness. That's true for any sport, not just this one.

Everything I wrote was more or less tongue-in-cheek observation that it's hard to gauge the accuracy of recruiting predictions when there haven't been many recruits lately. And really, I thought about teasing the poster by citing Candace Parker as proof that the predictions can sometimes be absolutely right (because everyone knew she was "the one" when she was 13 or 14), but whatever.

And the "loneliness" was a figurative reference to her being the only signee last year. It's just an expression. It wasn't a literal statement of her somehow being lonely on the court because no one else was in her class. C'mon.

What's this now? Where did I say the sky was falling? I said it's very concerning that recruiting has been sparse the last two years. Because it is. It's weird Tennessee's struggling there. And yes, the transfer portal is a stopgap, okay, granted, but to pretend like the portal is equivalent feels a little off to me. In fact, I'd counter that stability in the face of turnover is going to be even more important for success in the future. Programs that can maintain stabiltiy will probably enjoy some success as a result of that stability. I'm not hating on Tennessee, I just think that's part of the deal with this transfer madness. That's true for any sport, not just this one.

Everything I wrote was more or less tongue-in-cheek observation that it's hard to gauge the accuracy of recruiting predictions when there haven't been many recruits lately. And really, I thought about teasing the poster by citing Candace Parker as proof that the predictions can sometimes be absolutely right (because everyone knew she was "the one" when she was 13 or 14), but whatever.

And the "loneliness" was a figurative reference to her being the only signee last year. It's just an expression. It wasn't a literal statement of her somehow being lonely on the court because no one else was in her class. C'mon.

Gotta say. Your posts have been “the sky is falling” for months. Then you’re super defensive when someone calls you on it. Take a breather Yo.

Reactions: madtownvol
Gotta say. Your posts have been “the sky is falling” for months. Then you’re super defensive when someone calls you on it. Take a breather Yo.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If that’s what you think, then okay. I don't feel like I'm pretty "sky is falling.” I’m usually about 5% blaming officials 'cause have you seen them, 5% complaining about illegal screens, 5% supporting Tess Darby (this year anyway), 15% recruiting, 15-20% throaway jokes, about 15-25% game business, and then the rest is for potpourri. OH and 5% snarky comments about UConn. *rubs hands* Mmmm, I do love those.

But. Fair enough.

Last edited:
Can you blame them though? I wouldn’t say the sky has completely fell but gee whiz, we haven’t exactly lived up to expectations.

I look at the product on the floor and I am not disappointed. Having a hard time convincing myself it’s a huge issue.

Firmly believe that in this day and age recruiting is going out to build the best team every season. Whether that’s with high school recruits, transfers or international players. You build the roster you need to be competitive that season.

We seem to be a popular, and successful, destination for quality transfers. No reason not to lean into that. If we can attract the top two transfer in the portal every seaosn high school recruiting becomes much less important. Especially when we pick up players like Hollingshed. She’s got 3 years of eligibility, a boatload of potential and she’s already used up her one free transfer. What’s not to like? Most true freshmen don’t play a ton of minutes anyhow, even some of the very top recruits.

[Waving white flag] I surrender!! The Geneva convention also gives me the right to make one final statement before my execution at dawn. Here it is:

It is not transfer madness. It is now an integral part of the recruiting game, just as one and done is for the men's side. Kellie's incoming class for this season was Pissott, Jackson, Powell, Hollingshead, and Franklin. Admittedly, all but Jackson have not had the anticipated impact (to this point) but that group generated a lot of preseason excitement. And they all count as "recruits" and that is not sparse and should not be a source of concern. We can add all SEC freshman Puckett to the mix as well from the previous season and Wynn still has time to develop.

We won't know what Kellie's incoming class for next season will look like until the transfer portal closes. Recruiting through the portal does not make a program unstable. If you keep more than you lose, you are ahead of the game and, so far, Tennessee has been doing fine on retention under Kellie.

[Waving white flag] I surrender!! The Geneva convention also gives me the right to make one final statement before my execution at dawn. Here it is:

It is not transfer madness. It is now an integral part of the recruiting game, just as one and done is for the men's side. Kellie's incoming class for this season was Pissott, Jackson, Powell, Hollingshead, and Franklin. Admittedly, all but Jackson have not had the anticipated impact (to this point) but that group generated a lot of preseason excitement. And they all count as "recruits" and that is not sparse and should not be a source of concern. We can add all SEC freshman Puckett to the mix as well from the previous season and Wynn still has time to develop.

We won't know what Kellie's incoming class for next season will look like until the transfer portal closes. Recruiting through the portal does not make a program unstable. If you keep more than you lose, you are ahead of the game and, so far, Tennessee has been doing fine on retention under Kellie.

lol, hold on, keep that flag waving, and I'll wave an orange one and we can take them to games. No executions today. I got a little feisty with those replies. I think we view the portal's value and impact in different lights, but I will meet you in the middle. It's a tool that can be used to keep a roster competitive, and transfers today are not the same situation as transfers of a decade ago (well, except for Marciniak, that one was the best transfer ever).

And the portal did save Tennessee's bacon this year, no doubt. I just it's not a good sign if we're living there too often or too much. I think there's value to having players with years of experience in your system and your program, value in consistency and familiarity, which is harder to maintain if the portal is where you're living. I think that's where this all started, someone threw a little shade at people being "negative," and I just think - eh, I mean, there's reason to be concerned. I don't view that as hating Tennessee, at least, not to me. I want them to succeed. Win the SEC, beat UConn - succeed. So I hope they figure things out with recruiting targets. With South Carolina doing that weird "birdy" stuff on the reg, and Mulkey sharpening her claws in Baton Rouge, it would be nice to see Tennessee win some of those heavyweight recruiting fights upfront.

Regardless, if I really did sound like the sky is falling - hey, it's not. This year is set. Jackson and Horston are a real pair. Seeing the team against LSU and UConn is gonna be interesting. But there are some clouds on the horizon, and I hope the sun breaks through soon. And the sun will say "WHERE DO YOU WANT THESE TOP FIVE RECRUITS" and I'll say "OVER THERE, SUN" and the sun will say "ON TOP OF THE ARENA?" and I'll say "NO, AT THE FRONT DOORS ARE FINE." That's all in caps because we'd both be shouting; the sun is very far away.

She visited on her on dime and we didn't even make an impression..... not good, somebody dropped the ball on this one. Unless we didn't really want her..
She visited some other SEC schools also looks like she narrowed it down to ACC or Big Ten.

VN Store

Back