TE Coaching Hire ???

Who cares what Cutcliffe thought about him? All I am saying why not try to go after some big names who have proven they can not only recruit studs but develop them? North Texas? Really? Whatever. If one of those guys are the hire then I hope it works out. But let’s not act like if UGA or Bama were looking for a TE coach these guys would be on their list.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Who cares what Cutcliffe thought about him? All I am saying why not try to go after some big names who have proven they can not only recruit studs but develop them? North Texas? Really? Whatever. If one of those guys are the hire then I hope it works out. But let’s not act like if UGA or Bama were looking for a TE coach these guys would be on their list.
Wow. You have no clue. It's shockingly amazing.

How in the world would Seth Litrrell be an underwhelming hire? He has six years of OC experience followed by seven years as a HC at North Texas. He actually did a pretty decent job at North Texas. Cutcliffe thought highly enough of Faris to have him on his staff for almost a decade.

I think Litrell would be a great hire but I don’t think he coached for Cut anywhere.

What big names? UGA’s tight ends coach is Todd Hartley. Had you ever heard of him before he was hired? Joe Cox is at Alabama. What had he done before Saban hired him? Who are some big name tight end coaches?

Todd Hartley Coaching Experience:
2005-07......................................... Georgia (Student assistant)
2008.................................... West Virginia (Graduate Assistant)
2009-10....................................... Georgia (Graduate Assistant)
2011-12........................................................ Marshall (Safeties)
2013-14.................................. Marshall (TEs/Recruiting Coord.)
2015.............................. Georgia (Director of Player Personnel)
2016-18.............................. Miami (TEs, Special Teams Coord.)
2019..................................................................... Georgia (TEs)

Joe Cox Coaching Experience:
2014- Mallard Creek HS (OC)
2015 - Colorado State (GA)
2016–2019 - Colorado State (TE)
2020 - South Carolina (WR)
2021 - Charlotte (TE)
2022–present - Alabama (TE)

The question was just to name a big name TE coach. Alex Golesh is a big name TE coach at this point.
Nope I'm pretty sure he's a head coach. As stated before once one makes a name as a TE coach they get promoted to another job. it goes ST/TE/recruiter<real position coach/OC<HC that's the normal career path

Because he has never been a coach. There are different skills required to brecome a good coach other than being good at what you do. Few really good players become good coaches, and I would not even think about hiring a coach for my team if he/she had never coached before.
I mean he’s a high school coach lol

I know I know it’s high school, and I’m kind of kidding. But I will say it might be nice to bring so more fire and toughness like garner does for the defense.

Does VFL top everything? Does Witten want to recruit? Has he? Remember, the TE in this offense is split out much of the time. It’s something of an H back. Witten didn’t play that role.
Speaking as a cowboys fan that watched Jason a lot, they did split him out at receiver a bit. Especially early when parcels was there they used him at H back a lot and used him all over the field

Last edited:
I mean he’s a high school coach lol

I know I know it’s high school, and I’m kind of kidding. But I will say it might be nice to bring so more fire and toughness like garner does for the defense.

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but to those who think Jason cannot coach are sadly mistaken. He has coaching in his blood. His grandfather Dave Rider raised he and his 2 brothers and is an all-time great in the HS coaching ranks. His brother Shawn, HC at Elizabethton has won multiple state titles in Tennessee. His other brother coaches as well. He grew up under the same roof with Coach Rider along with his coaching siblings. As a player, Jason was an all-time great in HS, College, and the NFL with a spot reserved in the Pro Football Hall of Fame the day he becomes eligible. Yes, JW can coach at the University of Tennessee and get the job done without a hitch.

Just curious if anyone has heard anything on any potential hires? I know that’s not really pressing hire you have to make, so I expect CH to take his time.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
We believe Heupel has been working on it, researching candidates and talking to various people. We feel like Jeff Faris remains a viable option and he continues to be vetted out. Seth Littrell, who knows Heupel from his Oklahoma days, doesn’t seem like a real viable candidate. It feels like Littrell would prefer to be a coordinator somewhere. In house Alec Ablin is a possibility. Ablin would be a seamless transition as he knows the offense well. But Ablin has never been on the recruiting trail. How big of a factor is recruiting in this hire for Heupel?
- VQ

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but to those who think Jason cannot coach are sadly mistaken. He has coaching in his blood. His grandfather Dave Rider raised he and his 2 brothers and is an all-time great in the HS coaching ranks. His brother Shawn, HC at Elizabethton has won multiple state titles in Tennessee. His other brother coaches as well. He grew up under the same roof with Coach Rider along with his coaching siblings. As a player, Jason was an all-time great in HS, College, and the NFL with a spot reserved in the Pro Football Hall of Fame the day he becomes eligible. Yes, JW can coach at the University of Tennessee and get the job done without a hitch.

This entire family has a fire inside that just doesn’t quit. Ryan, Shawn and Jason….. they’re all just great people the community loves them.

They’re probably the most competitive people I’ve ever seen and expect you to be the same.

I don’t see Jason leaving Texas until his kids graduate but you never know. Shawn would be a great hire for UT, unknown in the college coaching world and a gamble but my gut says he would make a great TE coach…. really any position.

I know it won’t happen but it’s something to talk about

Reactions: JarFly
Maybe Vols Senior Offensive Analyst gets a promotion : Maxwell "Max" Thurmond, played at Jacksonville State 1996-00, native of Sylvester, Ga.
----------Coaching resume : 2001-12 Jacksonville State, 2013 Reinhardt, 2014-15 West Alabama, 2016-17 Austin Peay, 2018 Central Arkansas, 2019 Charlotte, 2020-21 Jacksonville State

VN Store

Back