TE Coaching Hire ???

AP regarding the TE coaching hire as of yesterday. Ugh. Very underwhelming. Guess no going after any big time names and recruiters.

“IMO three names continue to come up when I talk to people and that’s Jeff Faris of UCLA, former North Texas HC Seth Littrell and offensive QC Alec Abeln. The first two have the most experience on the field and on the road recruiting. Abeln has the experience in the system and with the staff. IMO, I’d still bet on the hire coming from outside the building as of this Sunday night.”

Some never learn, remember your gifted analysis of the CJH hire? I'm behind whoever is hired.

Why does Jason Witten need to gain coaching experience. He was in the league for years, was all pro. Will be in the hall. He could teach anybody, coach, head coach, high school or college on how to do it rite. Biggest no-brainer of all time. I'm sure he's set after years financially.

Why does Jason Witten need to gain coaching experience. He was in the league for years, was all pro. Will be in the hall. He could teach anybody, coach, head coach, high school or college on how to do it rite. Biggest no-brainer of all time. I'm sure he's set after years financially.
Does VFL top everything? Does Witten want to recruit? Has he? Remember, the TE in this offense is split out much of the time. It’s something of an H back. Witten didn’t play that role.

Reactions: onevol74

And it’s a TE position. That and RB are positions you can take a guy off the street for. Those positions are far more about recruiting than probably any others on a staff.

With that said, I’ve never been a fan of the “just hire all VFLs” approach. Whoever CJH picks, I’m cool with. He’s earned that

Last edited:
Because he has never been a coach. There are different skills required to brecome a good coach other than being good at what you do. Few really good players become good coaches, and I would not even think about hiring a coach for my team if he/she had never coached before.

Because he has never been a coach. There are different skills required to brecome a good coach other than being good at what you do. Few really good players become good coaches, and I would not even think about hiring a coach for my team if he/she had never coached before.[/QU
Really good players don't need to Coach!! The

AP regarding the TE coaching hire as of yesterday. Ugh. Very underwhelming. Guess no going after any big time names and recruiters.

“IMO three names continue to come up when I talk to people and that’s Jeff Faris of UCLA, former North Texas HC Seth Littrell and offensive QC Alec Abeln. The first two have the most experience on the field and on the road recruiting. Abeln has the experience in the system and with the staff. IMO, I’d still bet on the hire coming from outside the building as of this Sunday night.”
How in the world would Seth Litrrell be an underwhelming hire? He has six years of OC experience followed by seven years as a HC at North Texas. He actually did a pretty decent job at North Texas. Cutcliffe thought highly enough of Faris to have him on his staff for almost a decade.

I think Faris would be good. Looks like he's from Knoxville originally, probably a pretty smart since he was able to play at Duke. UCLA ran the ball very well this year, so he might be able to add some of these concepts for Heupel to integrate into his offense.

How in the world would Seth Litrrell be an underwhelming hire? He has six years of OC experience followed by seven years as a HC at North Texas. He actually did a pretty decent job at North Texas. Cutcliffe thought highly enough of Faris to have him on his staff for almost a decade.

Who cares what Cutcliffe thought about him? All I am saying why not try to go after some big names who have proven they can not only recruit studs but develop them? North Texas? Really? Whatever. If one of those guys are the hire then I hope it works out. But let’s not act like if UGA or Bama were looking for a TE coach these guys would be on their list.

Who cares what Cutcliffe thought about him? All I am saying why not try to go after some big names who have proven they can not only recruit studs but develop them? North Texas? Really? Whatever. If one of those guys are the hire then I hope it works out. But let’s not act like if UGA or Bama were looking for a TE coach these guys would be on their list.
What big names? UGA’s tight ends coach is Todd Hartley. Had you ever heard of him before he was hired? Joe Cox is at Alabama. What had he done before Saban hired him? Who are some big name tight end coaches?

Well, most importantly, he has to want to do it. He was offered more money than he makes now to take a high school job in this state just a few weeks ago, and he elected to stay with his current high school job in Texas. The deciding factor there was his desire to remain in the Dallas area. There has been no indication that he has any desire to coach in college.

OK, who is on your list Mr. person not putting his multi million dollar job on the line?

Reactions: swampfoxfan

Plus Littrell played two years with Heupel at OU. I'll be happy adding Seth to the staff, proven and experienced coach.

I think Faris would be good. Looks like he's from Knoxville originally, probably a pretty smart since he was able to play at Duke. UCLA ran the ball very well this year, so he might be able to add some of these concepts for Heupel to integrate into his offense.
Faris seems like the perfect candidate, almost a dozen years of power 5 experience, he's from Knoxville, obviously the Cutcliffe connection. Seems like a good fit. Actually a pretty solid recruiter given he was mostly recruiting to Duke.

Got any names other than the UGA alum who has two recent NC rings?

Reactions: Orange.
Pope end up being a good hire? Would assume so with the dearth of threads calling for his firing.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Was wondering the same. If anything that is a home run hire.

Big named TE coaches are those who coach at a school who has recruited big time TEs. They don't become big time TE coaches until they have the players as well as really good players elsewhere on the offense.

What big names? UGA’s tight ends coach is Todd Hartley. Had you ever heard of him before he was hired? Joe Cox is at Alabama. What had he done before Saban hired him? Who are some big name tight end coaches?
There really isn't such a thing as a big name TE coach lol.. TE/ST are like the training wheel positions once u prove yourself there you get moved somewhere else. Its basically the entry level on field coaching spot lol. Do good and they move you to OL or WR or RB.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Alex Golesh
What's his current job title?... point proven. TE coaches rarely move in lateral hires.. if one goes from being a TE coach to another school its because they went up from a small school to a big one.. if a TE coach leaves a top25 teams its generally for a OL OC or HC job. TE/ST coaches as well as RB coaches are mostly recruiters and normally the lowest-paid jobs.

Reactions: jonnon111

VN Store

Back