Game Thread: Lady Vols v TAMU; Thurs Jan 12 @ 9PM on SECN tv LV's 62-50

I care, and I’m not the only one. We are not in the same position as the mens team. We are 13-6, with top teams yet to play, the men are 14-3. Against our toughest competition, we are going to need our best player from the beginning of the game to the end, with short rest breaks.
Said before, not too proud to say again. The most important reason RJ should start is for better management of her rests. We are going to need her at least 30 mins per game down the stretch. That means 10 minutes of rest. It makes zero sense for half that rest to be the first 2.5 mins of each half when she isn't tired. She needs and deserves better management than that.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
My reasoning for RJ coming off the bench is that maybe KJH is giving RJ more time to learn the system, so that come FEB/March she can lead without hesitation. JMO

It may come down to something as simple as the staff being kinda superstitious about changing the way they do things while they're on a winning streak. The ol' "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" may just be their m.o. for now, and maybe if the win streak ends they'll then feel like they can change it up. As much as I want Kea to start and then play 35+ minutes a game, I do understand the hesitancy to mess with what has been working so well. That said, noone knows for certain that things wouldn't be working even BETTER if the whole "RJ coming off the bench" experiment had ended three games into it.

Anybody have a chance to read this article. I’m interested on the thoughts because honestly…I agree with the headline. View attachment 531285

The article is spot on. Basically points out how old bad habits like turnovers, and letting inferior teams (Vandy, A&M) hang around are resurfacing, reminding us too much of the team last year...

The article is spot on. Basically points out how old bad habits like turnovers, and letting inferior teams (Vandy, A&M) hang around are resurfacing, reminding us too much of the team last year...
Sort of, but not exactly. In previous years we not only let them hang around, we let them come all the way back for the win. Not this year, at least not yet.

Sort of, but not exactly. In previous years we not only let them hang around, we let them come all the way back for the win. Not this year, at least not yet.

A year ago at this time the team was in a much better position than they are now, even reaching the top 5 nationally. Then the wheels came off...

A year ago at this time the team was in a much better position than they are now, even reaching the top 5 nationally. Then the wheels came off...
I wasn't really talking about calander year. I was talking about beating the teams that the wheels came off against last year like Alabama and Florida by double digits.

February will tell the tale as usual. Last several years we have had a great January followed by an upsetting February.

I just hope we win 2 of 3 against UCONN, LSU and South Carolina.

I truly believe this team will win the games they are supposed to. If they do and we beat either LSU or SC we could finish with 1 loss in SEC play. Been a long time since that happened.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
My reasoning for RJ coming off the bench is that maybe KJH is giving RJ more time to learn the system, so that come FEB/March she can lead without hesitation. JMO
If a smart veteran player like RJ hasn't "learned the system" after 20 games and probably 100 practices, she is not going to magically learn it by next month.

"If it ain''t broke don't fix it" doesn't really apply here either. Does anyone really believe RJ's play wouldn't be as good if she started? Ditto for the team's start. Anyone really believe having RJ on the floor to start games would hurt us?

I also worry it might hurt us in recruting future elite players. Starting may not mean all that much to KJH, but I'll bet it does to primo recruits. What do you have to do to crack the starting lineup? Also, if starting doesn't mean much, stop with the elaborate fireworks starter introductions. BC having RJ trot out as "the rest of the Lady Vols" after the elaborate starter intros seems dumb. Wouldn't be that big a deal if she wasn't so, so good.

Bottom line, just play RJ as much as possible and manage her rest periods well!

Last edited:
I also worry it might hurt us in recruting future elite players. Starting may not mean all that much to KJH, but I'll bet it does to primo recruits. What do you have to do to crack the starting lineup? Also, if starting doesn't mean much, stop with the elaborate fireworks starter introductions. BC having RJ trot out as "the rest of the Lady Vols" after the elaborate starter intros seems dumb. Wouldn't be that big a deal if she wasn't so, so good....

I thought about this but was worried about putting it out there
now that it's out
worried-kermit.gif

Reactions: Raebo and 37620VOL
If a smart veteran player like RJ hasn't "learned the system" after 20 games and probably 100 practices, she is not going to magically learn it by next month.

"If it ain''t broke don't fix it" doesn't really apply here either. Does anyone really believe RJ's play wouldn't be as good if she started? Ditto for the team's start. Anyone really believe having RJ on the floor to start games would hurt us?

I also worry it might hurt us in recruting future elite players. Starting may not mean all that much to KJH, but I'll bet it does to primo recruits. What do you have to do to crack the starting lineup? Also, if starting doesn't mean much, stop with the elaborate fireworks starter introductions. BC having RJ trot out as "the rest of the Lady Vols" after the elaborate starter intros seems dumb. Wouldn't be that big a deal if she wasn't so, so good.

Maybe her first start will come against UConn accompanied by fireworks, fog, Pride of the Southland forming a T at mid court, current and all retired Smokies in attendance baying at the moon which is suspended from TBA rafters, Tennessee walking horses running through the concourse, sirens, a referee on a turning spit in the corner, absolutely full house, free Petros for everyone and the football team carrying each Lady Vol in like an Egyptian Queen!! I am there for this!!!!!!!!
Sometimes stream of consciousness is a hoot!!

I just hope we win 2 of 3 against UCONN, LSU and South Carolina.
I'd be happy with one of the three. Winning two of those three would be fantastic. I think UConn might be our best shot. LSU might be the toughest one. Angel Reese is a walking double double, incredible rebounder in addition to scorer. I noticed LSU has no Thursday game before they play us, play Alabama on Monday the 23 rd than no game until us on Jan 30. That's gonna be a tough one.

The Lady Vols toughest stretch of games are this week against Florida and Missouri.
The team staying healthy is the biggest factor following this week as it looks to face multiple highly ranked teams.
LSU is not a team I favor over Tennessee at this point. They aren’t nearly as talented as some people and media make them out to be after playing a very weak schedule.
LSU also doesn’t have a single player on their roster that can matchup with either Horston or Rickea.
The UCONN game will come down to coaching. Tennessee has the better roster.

Reactions: VolBall09

Yep, it is hard to believe that the issue is "learning the system." RJ is averageing 22+ points in the SEC (and near a double-double) so if she does not know the system, then please keep it from her. She would be bringing new meaning to "ignorance is bliss".

At this point, I am going to believe the narrative that RIckea likes coming off the bench after she has had some time to read the game. The truism in sports is not so much who starts but who finishes and Rickea is clearly on the finishing unit.

As for recruiting, at the end of the day, winning is the best recruiting tool. So, let's hope what is working keeps working

Yep, it is hard to believe that the issue is "learning the system." RJ is averageing 22+ points in the SEC (and near a double-double) so if she does not know the system, then please keep it from her. She would be bringing new meaning to "ignorance is bliss".
This cracked me up.

Is there a 6th Woman of the Decade award? Has there ever been an All-SEC player who didn't start?

Maybe her first start will come against UConn accompanied by fireworks, fog, Pride of the Southland forming a T at mid court, current and all retired Smokies in attendance baying at the moon which is suspended from TBA rafters, Tennessee walking horses running through the concourse, sirens, a referee on a turning spit in the corner, absolutely full house, free Petros for everyone and the football team carrying each Lady Vol in like an Egyptian Queen!! I am there for this!!!!!!!!
Sometimes stream of consciousness is a hoot!!

:p:p:p

I'd be happy with one of the three. Winning two of those three would be fantastic. I think UConn might be our best shot. LSU might be the toughest one. Angel Reese is a walking double double, incredible rebounder in addition to scorer. I noticed LSU has no Thursday game before they play us, play Alabama on Monday the 23 rd than no game until us on Jan 30. That's gonna be a tough one.
UConn is making up the DePaul game on Monday, which puts them playing Saturday, Monday and then us on Thursday. Hopefully with only 7 or 8 players available we can wear them out 🙌🏼

VN Store

Back